“Truly excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Castle Cafe

The Castle Cafe
Ranked #36 of 632 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Castle Cafe is a fully Licensed restaurant and cafe located at Blackrock castle, Cork.We serve brunch and lunch 7 days a week from 10am until 5pm and dinner from 5pm until 9pm Tuesday to Saturday.
Cork, Ireland
“Truly excellent”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Castle Café is owned by the same people as the Market Lane in Cork city centre. I mention this because - while I've never been to the Market Lane myself - I've only heard good things about it, which is also reflected in its position with Trip Advisor.

The Castle Café's location isn't quite as central, but instead you get a bit more coziness, as it's in the courtyard of the rather cute Blackrock castle. Weather permitting, you have three main areas to sit in to choose from: Outside, in the castle courtyard, inside in their new-ish extension (lots of glass, giving you a view of the castle), or inside within the old walls of a small extension building of the castle. On our first visit, we just had some light bites outside, and on our second visit - it being January, i.e. dark and cold - we went for the old set-back room, which even had a fireplace crackling away in it.

The menu was excellent - a good choice of creative dishes that still weren't afraid to be rustic/traditional. I had a venison pie, for instance, which was excellent.
Equal care as with the was apparently taken with the choice of drinks, with local Cider and Dungarvan beer being available alongside the boring Heineken draft standard fare that some people demand.
The service was also very good - friendly and attentive, without being overbearing.
So you get great food, great service, and a lovely (albeit not very central) setting - at very reasonable prices.

All in all - excellent, and we've already got a reservation for a family dinner in June.

• Visited January 2013

County Wexford, Ireland
“Great Find”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We decided to eat here with our two children as we were visiting Blackrock Castle Observatory in the evening time. I emailed my reservation late at night and the following morning I received a telephone call to confirm it. I was offered a choice of two dining areas, not knowing the venue I said I didn't mind where we ate. The very helpful gentleman on the other end suggested the Glass fronted area overlooking the castle as he said we would be able to keep an eye on our children if they decided to go out and play. When we arrived at the restaurant we were quickly seated by the window. We were delighted. Our waiter was very pleasant and we ordered our food. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very good and it was full to capacity. The menu was lovely with some really nice choices and the children's options were good too. All the food is cooked fresh. I did have a small issue with my dish which I returned. It was rectified immediately with a very genuine apology. I ordered the Haddock which I can only describe as Heavenly. My husband had Monkfish and the children had Pasta and Pizza. We all ate up. When the waiter checked our table it was evident that everything was fine as the food was completely gone. The others had dessert and I had a chocolate cup with my tea which was delicious. The bill was very reasonable. I would return here in a heartbeat. I felt I could have been anywhere in the world and not Blackrock, Cork. The restaurant has a really lovely atmosphere and is clearly well run. It makes such a huge difference when people care about what they offer.

• Visited May 2013
“Reliably good”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a family occasion lunch here- they were very obliging in fitting us in at short notice. Overall the food and service was very good. Most of us had the fish & chips which seems to have been excellent. I had the soup- I wasn't mad on the addition of rather fatty ham. Excellent bread and salad. The desserts were huge, and very good( Strawberry/ ice cream/ meringue mixture). The service was very very good especially as we were under time pressure. Excellent coffee. Would reccomend.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank User0407
Ireland
“Cant wait ti go back...”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Everything about this place is excellent, staff ,food, atmosphere. We visited for lunch and the food was delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited February 2013
Ireland
“Very tasty food”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This place had come recommended and its definitely worth a visit. From the outside it looks like its going to be very expensive but it was very reasonable. Its a bit out of the city but it is worth it.

Visited April 2013