“Very disappointing mainly let down by poor staff and extortionate prices”
Review of Annie's Gastropub - CLOSED

Annie's Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Arrived before 6 on a Wednesday evening, advised no food service until 6.30 (no problem) but also that they were pretty heavily booked and would we like to wait with a drink and the waitress would see what she could do.
We had to ask her again, just after 6.30 as she made no effort to let us know whether or not she could "fit us in".
I must add that the gastropub was at this point virtually empty and the waitress' manner overall was surly, unfriendly and only for the fact we were eating directly after dinner and didn't want to travel elsewhere I think we would have moved on. I honestly don't think she smiled once.
Once we did get a seat we were served relatively promptly and had no issue with the food. There were still several empty tables remaining which was interesting as we had earlier been advised of a full booking...
As we got up to leave one of the group bookings did arrive to much pomp and ceremony, brown bread provided at the table (which we weren't offered or didn't receive) and coats were taken and hung for the customers. In itself all not bad service for these people but please keep it consistent??!!
We both had the same main course which was very tasty and well cooked but perhaps slightly steep for what it was, my companion had a creme brulee for desert which was burnt and although advertised as Blueberry, tasted bland and overcooked or else left to sit for a few days too long.
Overall, not a good experience and although it's location is convenient slightly outside the city centre I will not be returning. Annies has a massive problem where customer service is concerened and this must be addressed from the top down.

4  Thank peregrina79

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went here with 5 others having booked and were seated immediately seated. Would have welcomed a real fire in the grate rather than the forlorn glimmer of a candle (which may have been artificial), so I kept my jacket on. Ladies who shed heavy coats were left to their own devices to find a coat rack. The orders were taken after a suitable 5 minute consideration and arrived within 10-15 minutes. I had wood pigeon which was fresh and perfectly cooked (as this is game so easy to under or over cook). Others had squid and black pudding starters which were well received. My main course of venison was excellent. Good reports around the table of seafood pie, pork loin and ravioli. One lady requested mashed potato as they just served little oval servers with boiled halved jacket potatoes with carrot and brocolli. The waiter who was largely efficient offered to get chips but then came out with more boiled potatoes- which were welcomed by all 3 ladies which would be regarded as light eaters; confirmation that the portions were indeed minimalist. We were later disappointed to find out that the supplementary portion was charged at an extra 3 euro. Only 3 diners had deserts which were basic; edible but not all at memorable. Everyone wanted a different wine so that was ordered by the glass and found to be excellent. The Beamish stout served was fresh. Final bill was €210 (for 6) before tip. Not as enjoyable as my previous 2 visits. Place was busy being a Saturday night and can be a little noisy due to low ceilings and timber floors. Staff need to engage more and look less unsmiling; it doesn't cost anything to be a little bit more cheerful and pleasant. I believe the chef here is North African which is why the tagine cooked Moroccan style dishes are so good. Parking is scarce so take a taxi if you can. Toilets are spotlessly clean and well maintained. Do go try it for yourself.

2  Thank StanM53
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had lunch recently in Annies in Sundayswell, the service was really good and attentive - the food was delicious, lovely succulent steak sandwich on Arbutus bread with wholegrain mustard, simple fresh leafs and fresh potato wedges & Blackberry Creme Brulee to finish with a shot of Espresso, sure what more could you ask for!!! Defo going back for more, Well done Cathal & Staff

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were visiting relatives in Cork and they introduced us to Annie's Gastropub in the older part of Cork. The food was very good and the venue is charming. The first night I had the goat cheese salad as a starter and the duck as main course. Both dishes were superb. Others in our party had the squid starter and the steak with frites as a main course. My son, who is a definite foodie, absolutely loved his steak, so much that I tried it on our second visit and loved it as well. The desserts were very good as well.

We have traveled extensively and are lucky to have eaten some very fine meals both at home and abroad and these two meals at Annie's rate right up there with the best of them.

Excellent small restaurant in Cork - highly recommended

1  Thank DesignatedPlanner
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Really tasty food in a nice environment. Really unsuspecting but definitely one of our new favourites