“Worth the trip”

Ranked #436 of 665 Restaurants in Cork
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Annies's is a little off the beaten track but well worth the visit. Probably best described as a bar style bistro, with an extensive menu,displayed on a blackboard just inside one of the entrances, other blackboards display the wines available and also a smaller dessert menu board. This, while quirky can be a little awkward if one is uncertain what to order. The starter and mains menu is varied and extensive and pitched at various price levels. Portions on both are generous, the hand cut chips especially live up to their billing, which I had with a Morrocan style lamb burger, mouthwatering and delicious. We skipped desserts, which dissappointingly were mainly varities of the usual suspects and moved on to a coffee and an Irish coffee, both of which were e.xcellent and well presented. Service was top class, both friendly and helpful and with a smile.There also did not appear to be any of the dreaded Mozak and normal conversatios was possible, without raised voices. Two slight complaints, the area in which we were seated at the top end of the bar felt a little coolish and also the pricing on the wine board was i felt a little off for what was on offer. Nevertheless absolutely well worth more than one visit.

2  Thank salkind

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having read the reviews we were looking forward to eating here. Ordered steaks for the main course " well done ". What we got were pink and rare, with a huge amount of potato / wedge shaped and very little veg. Tasteless. Meat was full of fat. We certainly took the wrong option with the main course. Was expecting a lot more, came away disappointed.

2  Thank sheajoo
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Spent a wonderful evening appreciating food and wine (6 courses!) at Annie’s last Thursday. From start to finish we were truly spoiled. A welcoming golden glass of Cava greeted us on arrival. As we sipped this we enjoyed some crostini with tapenade, tomato, boursin cheese & artichoke. Although I wouldn’t be a tomato lover, I ate every mouthwatering morsel! Next, steamed mussels & langoustines arrived with tasty brown bread, followed by a delicately prepared hake with an exquisite crumb and sauce (my favourite dish of the evening). The fourth course was beef cheek with parsnip rosti (my boyfriend’s favourite dish of the evening). Parsnips would not be my favourite vegetable choice (up there with tomatoes in my book-very fussy!) but I thoroughly enjoyed the combination along with the matching wine, a Beaujolais. The wines were thoughtfully chosen by French sommelier, Bruno. The first white accompanying the steamed mussels was a smooth and passionfruity wine. The next wine had a similar passionfruity type flavour but with more of a tang. A South African Pinot Noir to accompany the Ardasallagh goats cheese, poached pear and homemade crackers was a perfect match. The final course was a chocolate and espresso tart along with sweet wine. At the end of the evening we were asked to pick our favourite wine and received another glass of our preferred vintage. We left Annie's with our bellies satisfied and our heads light! We can’t wait for our next visit.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Locally sourced top notch food with great variety all topped off with a relaxed ambience in heart of Sundays well in cork, what more can I say! Well maybe a little more to give you a real insight into this somewhat off the beaten track gastropub in Cork... We have eaten here on numerous occasions in the past and sampled most items on the menu - everything is delicious but the Moroccan lamb tagine or Rib eye beef are two of my favourites. You may prefer to be seated and receive a standard menu with which to choose your meal from, however you will have to get up and choose your options from a giant blackboard on the wall in Annie's - a unique touch I think! I have recommended Annie's to many friends and colleagues and all have been delighted with the quality food and excellent service. And the prices are favourable too which I almost forgot to mention. So go and see for yourself folks, you will not be be disappointed!

1  Thank Patsycakes1
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Had a lovely meal here recently. My only complaint was that I felt that I was eating in a pub rather than a restaurant- would have liked some kind of segregation. Food was lovely, staff very friendly and I would recommend it for a nice informal meal.

1  Thank CiCiD D