Crawford Art Gallery
Ranked #14 of 159 things to do in Cork
More attraction details
Owner description: This renowned art gallery displays works by both prominent Irish artists and local painters.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Sharman Crawford Municipal Art Gallery was our destination on a recent outing. We were fortunate in having a guide put at our disposal who knew art and knew the gallery and above all knew the history of art in Cork. She gave us a great appreciation of all the artists of note who began their studies here and went on to be very famous. I must confess that I had no notion of how many great artists had come out of this former school or art and now gallery. I will be returning there for further study of the various forms of art produced in Cork.

1  Thank Tony C

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Poor visit in the shop. Staff more interested in talking to themselves and the security guard than dealing with me. Was going to buy a Harry Clarke print except I put it back and walked out.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went in only to find 4 Americans asking her questions. Even when they weren't and were waiting for their friend to use the facilities, she was hovering around them and helping them whilst we stood waiting for 10mins.. When I asked about a few things, like a bus to Balarney or Kinsale she kept trying to push her tour on me when i knew i can get a simple bus down to kinsale easily and cheaper than her offerings. Whilst saying we were going to the Gaol she told us to go to the butter museum which we saw on a map previously. Only we arrived there to find out that it was out of season. She didn't know that and it would annoy me if i went there specifically for it.. Not a tour guide just a shop girl.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent gallery and coffee shop really liked the layout and particulary the Clarke exhibit on the top floor

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I didn't have time to see everything there is to appreciate here but would definitely go back for a second visit.

The gallery is in the centre of Cork in Emmet Place and admission is free. The permanent collections are a wonderful selection of sculptures and paintings, mainly watercolour. When I visited there was also a very moving and beautiful selection of photographs from the war in Afghanistan. Unforgettable. The staff were also unusually accommodating and helpful.