“Sport weekend in Cork”

Kinlay House Hostel
Ranked #14 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Cork
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I travel to Cork a few times a year for sporting weekends, and I've stayed in Kinlay a number of times. Rooms are fine, a comfortable bunk bed, tap/sink in the room which is handy, shared bathroom on each floor. Large spacious kitchen/eating area, with complementary tea and toast in the mornings. Number of facilities including computer room, social room, wifi etc.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Able to give us recommendations on food in the area including dietary restrictions (coeliac). I accidentally left my glasses in their case in my room when I returned to Dublin, and they vey VERY helpfully posted them back to me.

Kinlay would always be one of my top choices in Cork

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kinlay House Hostel

Reviewed September 23, 2013

What a great hostel! Kinlay house was so much fun. The staff really go above and beyond. I was a little anxious due to all my plans falling through all of a sudden and I had to figure out quickly what I was going to do. The staff really helped me out and helped me get everything organized and feeling better again. The other travellers were great as well which made it really easy to meet people. Kinlay House has a very relaxing lounge area. Great for working on the computer, reading, and meeting other people from the hostel. And it's open until 1AM which is so convenient. Weather you are looking to meet people to have drinks with or a quiet evening lounging about, this hostel has it all. I highly, highly recommend you to stay at Kinlay House while you are in Cork!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. The staff are always helpful. It is so close to trains and buses. Do stay here for a good southern welcome. The kitchen is perfect if you and some friends want enjoy a cup of tea and a chat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I had a great time at Kinlay House. The hostel was super close to the city center and was pretty easy to find. There are great things to visit right around the corner, like the Butter Exchange museum and the Shandon Bells. The staff was super friendly and helped me decide on what to visit in and around the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Elise L
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I will start off by saying that we booked a separate room and were using it less of a hostal and more as a b & b. To this extend it was well worth it and as we, not having tried doing this before. The only draw back for the older person and or less mobile was the number of steps to the top floor otherwise it would suit all ages using the hostal this way. Kitchen facilities available to 10.30 p.m.and ready supply of tea / coffee and toast with jam / marlade for breakfast, although if it is busy finding somewhere to seat and obtaining mugs/plates could be a problem as the venue is rightly so popular. I must admit that the shared bedrooms did not appear to be so well maintained.
Well centred for getting around the city and there are ways of not using the steps to access the bilding if you head for the Church and go back down the Road/Walk. Don't Look for the recommended Gold fish in order to locate the building as it is not as clear as the "bauble " on the Church Tower.
The only gride was that we weren't given the option to pay on a credit card in euros but they automatically converted it to pounds which in our case madfe it slightly more expensive but none the less value for money. My ratings reflect our use as a b &.b.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Welshwasp
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The problems were very poor lighting, very poor bed numbering, no place underneath bed to lock up stuff, very little enforcement of the KEEP QUITE OTHERS ARE SLEEPING RULE which is enforced is a lot of other hostels I've been in and just a few other things that were sub standard.

Facilities are... 1/5.

My night in the 16 bed dorm was 15 euro and I have stayed in places of the same price which I could through 5 stars to in a flash.

Nice staff and that alright.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent 2 nights in Kinlay House and was delighted. A really basic cheap accommodation a few minutes from the city centre of Cork. Staff are helpful and rooms are basic but clean. I don't understand why people are paying peanuts and complain they didn't receive a 5 stars service?? Will be back in January for a week.

• Stayed: August 2013