“Clean, comfortable, friendly”

Ranked #12 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Cork
Dublin
“Clean, comfortable, friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Kinlay house is good value. The staff were quite friendly and helpful. The rooms are neat and comfortable. The hostel is very clean, warm and well-managed. This place is recommended for those on a budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank joeconor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently stayed at Kinlay House Hostel Cork with one of my friends, in January. As we walked into the hostel I was greeted by two friendly members of staff in the reception area , who welcomed us to the hostel and to the city. We were given our key and showed personally to our room. We stayed in a four bed dorm room which was very clean and bright. As we walked through the halls of the hostel, I was immediately struck by the beautiful clean fresh smell in the halls. I felt this was a great reflection on the hostel. Our linen was clean and we had plenty of towels.
That evening we enjoyed the free Wi-Fi which was available in the hostel and visited the common room which had bright decor, and had a very traveller friendly feel to the place. We met other people from all parts of the country of Ireland in the common room and students from the USA, Europe and Australia.
The next morning we got a light breakfast and had a lovely cup of tea. It was also possible to book a Paddywagon Tour at the hostel reception , so my friend and I decided to do the Blarney and Cobh Afternoon Tour. We were so glad we could book the tour in Kinlay House and even got a slight discount on this tour , as we stayed there. This was really value for money in our eyes! This also included the entrance into Blarney Castle. We had a wonderful time on the tour and really enjoyed the tour and our guide -Mike. He was very knowledgeable on the history of the local area.
When we returned in the evening from the tour , we decided to explore the city a little more. We asked the staff at reception a few questions on attractions and they were more than helpful and obliging to point us in the right direction. They gave us a map of the city centre and showed us attractions to visit the following day in the city.
That evening we went to the Bodega for dinner and I have to say I personally loved the cod and chips which came with a dreamy tartare sauce and mushy peas! The dinner was fantastic!
All in all, we totally loved our experience at Kinlay House Hostel Cork, and we most definitely will be back in the future! We cannot wait! The staff were excellent, the tour was brilliant to Blarney and Cobh and the hostel itself is so centrally located in Cork City! Thank you Kinlay House Cork!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank lally7
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed in Kinlay House last week, and thought it was a brilliant hostel. it smells lovely and clean when you first step in the door, and the reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable. I got a four bed room with my 3 friends and we had our own spotlessly clean bathroom. The bedding also smelled very clean and were so comfortable. The view from the room was nice, and luckily it was sunny when we were there. the common areas of the hostel were nice, and there was no problems with cooking any time we wanted during the day. Breakfast was also very nice. The location of the hostel is very central and is only 5 minutes from all the best bars and restaurants in Cork! it is a lovely hostel, very reasonably priced and i would recommend it to anyone going to Cork!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisa M
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Although the place is large and spacious enough....
I would not recommend it purely on the basis of shocking customer service - in example, the manager of the place seems to lack the basic customer relation skills, in fact he seems to give of the impression that another student at the hostel is nothing important - rather just one of many, a drop in the ocean if it were.
Secondly, their signage isn't clear, in example, they state on the kitchen door that breakfast ends at 10AM, but they close at 9:30 instead. This can be frustrating when one actually plans their sleep-in to coincide with waking up for breakfast. Furthermore, changing the sign the same morning after raising concern about it, purely to back up their argument that the sign does in fact say 'breakfast' closes at 10 rather than 9:30...... slightly deceptive perhaps.
Not going back there, EVER.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in the hostel just for one night, with a really large group, and it was great. The hostel is big and clean, and the rooms are spacious and with their own bathroom. It was cheap and very close of the center of Cork. The common room is perfect for big groups, we could eat there without a problem.
Also, the staff is really friendly. They even found my lost glasses and sent them back to me!
In conclusion, it is a worthy hostel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vic488
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I spent only one week in Ireland and my initial plan only included Killarney and Dingle (on the Southern part of the island), but someone suggested that we should go to Cork as well. I am so glad I took their advice! The city is beautiful and the accommodation was better than we expected. Friendly staff, clean rooms, lively atmosphere, low prices, what else can you wish for?

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank bogdanungureanu1977
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at the Kinlay House for 8 nights. The staff were very helpful with sight seeing recommendations, good places to eat, laundry and discounts on the Paddy Wagon Tour. I stayed in one of the female dorm rooms. The beds were cozy and the 3rd floor was nice and quiet. The room was secure and locked. There were no lockers in the room, so at everyone's own risk, we left our luggage unattended. Overall everyone in my room was very respectful and there wasn't any incident of anyone getting into other people's stuff. There wasn't any soap in the bathroom, so I ended up buying a 1 euro bottle of soap that we all shared for the week. There also wasn't any wireless in the rooms, but I was able to use it just fine in the common space. The main common space was a bit crowded and for some reason, I never felt quite comfortable there. Sometimes I would see people using the stairwells to surf the net or talk on the phone. I sorta wished they could have left the dining hall open longer to use as a common space. I thought the kitchen was very clean and lots of space in the refrigerator. The dining hall is big and spacious. I loved the location of this hostel. I would walk down the hill to the city center in a matter of minutes and I liked how it was tucked away from all the hustle and bustle. I always felt safe walking back at night. I didn't make a lot of friends at this hostel and it didn't have the sunny disposition that I usually like. Mostly everyone kept to themselves, not sure if that had to do with the particular time I was there or the overall vibe. I would like to check out a couple of other hostels when I return to Cork, but overall this place was just fine and fit all of my needs. And my # 1 tip for hostels: Never go to bed without your Ear Plugs!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo