“Looked after us well” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Cork
London, United Kingdom
“Looked after us well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here with three friends for two nights while seeing the south of Ireland. The guy at reception gave us a four bed room for the four of us which was ideal, and cheap. The price also meant breakfast which was a nice surprise. The room was clean and had amazing views of the city, which at night was almost worth staying in for! The staff were more than helpful pointing us in the direction of what was going on where in the city and gave us tips even on the scenic route to every place which made our short stay in the city all the better. Will be staying here again when back in Cork next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed: September 2008. A friend booked a double room here for us, so it was a surprise. A good one though. All rooms were painted in fresh colours. Staff was laid back. We had a room near staircase, so we could hear everybody walking the stairs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at Kinlay house for a few days and a had a great time. The hostel was in a great location, clean, staff were very friendly and helpful withl lots of ideas of places to go out and things to do in and around cork. I met some great people while staying at this hostel which was not hard to do as they have a large kitchen and a large cozy common room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marc m
Tasmania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My first experience of a hostel in Ireland. After looking at all the online information about it I thought it would be a bit more fun than it turned out to be. The 'craic' I was led to expect wasn't there. The attitude of people staying in hostels these days seems to be to talk to as few people as possible. Kinlay house was like this too. The private room I stayed in had the ambience of, well, a prison cell, with industrial grade light fittings and a double bunk bed. The complimentary breakfast turned out to be just toast. If there was cereal, I couldn't find it. Nor could I find the way to the kitchen in the first place, after following all the signs from my room to the dining room, I found that the door that allowed one into the dining room was permanenty shut and/or locked. So back through the maze of buildings to find another way to the kitchen. Expecting to find lots of young folk chatting away and having a good time, instead I found people eating in silence, maybe using their mobile devices. No craic here. For the price I paid for a private room, I would have got better value from a B&B, which is what I went and did for the rest of my stay in Cork, and throughout south west Ireland. Next time I'm in Cork, I'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mackay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed one night on a tour of 6 days. The bunk beds were broken, sagging and missing springs. Some toilets had no seats or toilet paper. Located in a rougher part of town. Power went out and staff werent helpful of informative. Half our group changed out after seeing the condition of the hostel.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Alashand

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

it's a really nice hostel, i stayed there some days. when i arrived in the next hostel i saw that i forgot my shorts! i love this shorts so i called them and i wrote an email. the next day they wrote my shorts are in the post on the way to belgium, my home! i was so happy :) :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pascale C
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

This hostel was ok. The corridor smelt really bad like dirty socks haha. The cleanliness of the room was not that great it was very dusty. The shared bathroom on the ground floor needs attention. The toilets are blocked and don't flush properly. The worst thing is that during the weekend about 10-15 local teenagers (i could tell by the accent) stand out the front drinking alcohol and socializing out the front of the hostel. This happened on all nights of my three night stay. I came back to the hostel at midnight and was harassed out the front by some of the boys. I could then hear them talking from my bedroom. They seem rough and not friendly and I would suggest that management gets onto this. I was supposed to stay four nights but left early. The hostel is in a good location and the common room is nice and big. The hostel doesn't really have a very happening vibe I found it a bit boring and I'm a solo traveler.

• Stayed July 2012