“Decent considering rate paid”

Kinlay House Hostel
Ranked #14 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Cork
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Kinlay House has a really great location, it is close to the center of the city but far enough away that it is quiet. The location definitely gets the property some credit. The front desk staff were friendly and willing to help with directions.

The room was decently clean however the bathrooms definitely needed attention. The hand dryer didn't work and there was NO HOT WATER! The comforter seemed really old and should definitely be replaced. It seemed like there was something hard and crunchy inside the comforter which made it very unpleasant so sleep under.

Breakfast is very simple, toast, tea and coffee but for the price that you pay, it definitely does the trick.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kinlay House Hostel

Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a large hostel with friendly staff just a few minutes walk from the centre of Cork. The fact that it is away from the city centre means it is quieter and therefore easier to sleep, especially at weekends, than at some of the more centrally located hostels. For my room the price was reasonable and the room and bathroom were clean and well maintained. The room and bathroom were more spacious than the average hostel in my experience. The staff have on the whole been friendly and helpful and security for my luggage was not a problem. Breakfast is tea, coffee, toast and jam which all disappears promptly at 930am but given that it is free and some hostels provide no breakfast it is sufficient. The internet usage rates for computers in the hostel are excessive but cheap access can be found easily in the city centre if you don't have a laptop.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank jazzeejessie
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here for two nights at the end of April. It was easy to find from the bus station; not a long walk at all, even with a heavy backpack! It was close to the city centre, but far enough away to be nice and quiet at night. My single private room was spacious and had everything I needed. The desk staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast is tea/coffee and toast..simple but more than sufficient to start a day!
I enjoyed curling up in the common room in the evening and reading...lots of comfy couches and a tv should you wish to watch.
The hostel was clean and well-maintained with a nice garden area. If the weather had been sunny, I would have spent some time out there!
If I ever go back to Cork, this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank jenniphoenix
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night as part of our 10 night All Ireland tour with Paddywagon Tours (highly recommended).

The location was good - about a 5 to 10 minute walk across the bridge to the city center where there were loads of restaurants, pubs and shops.

We were on the second floor in a room facing the street. On first entering, it seemed very small with two single beds (we are a married couple), but we realized that there was a second room with a double bed. The bathroom was small, but nicely decorated and the shower was spacious, unlike some other B & B's we stayed in.

The building is an old brick rowhouse and the B & B could use some redecorating, but we found this a common theme amongst the older B & Bs in Ireland. However, it was clean, the staff were friendly and our breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LeeMike
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed in the B&B, connected to the hostel, as part of the "Deluxe Package" with Paddy wagon. Holes in the ceiling, walls, floor, bathroom, etc. NO HOT WATER. Breakfast was ok and it is close to the city center. Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at Kinlay House as part of a large group (10+) of 20 somethings travelling to Cork for the Cork Jazz festival 2011, and this hostel, with its crazy higgldy piggeldy layout met all of our needs.

The good: The staff were able to accommodate my booking at the last minute, despite it being on of the busiest weekends on their books, & placed me in a dorm with my friends, at roughly €20 per night. The hostel is in a really central location, situated right beside the Firkin Crane, )where we were signed up to do beginners swing dancing lessons) so it was perfect! The more buzzing night spots down by Patrick's Street were less than a 10 min stroll down the hill and across the Lee. Breakfast is sufficient, and we were allowed free reign of the amply supplied kitchen to prepare our dinner in the evenings, and drink and play games before we headed out on the tear for Halloween. Rooms were very secure and everyone's belongings remained their own.
My special praise and warm thanks goes to one receptionist, who returned my phone (which I had left behind on my bed in the dorm) to me by registered post, free of charge. This was extremely generous on their part, and indeed you'd be hard pushed to get similar assistance from some 4 star hotels in Ireland. Thanks again Eileen!

The bad: On such a busy weekend, it was very difficult to find parking on the narrow Shandon streets, and Kinlay House offer no help in this regard. Also, a few of my friends were livid at the way they were treated by the night receptionist on duty, who did act quite patronising towards some of our group, and who kicked us out of the kitchen as he thought we were too loud. Also, I wouldn't call the bathroom facilities clean, nor were there enough for the number of people using them. On a weekend when the hostel is full with lots of jazz revelers, this is less than ideal. However, everyone was in such great form that it didn't create a problem during our stay. Ultimately, I would absolutely stay there again for the Jazz this year!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank cam_rye
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Now you may think I can't make this claim, but having stayed in every hostel in Cork and probably 90% of the hotels here I can. Kinlay House is the best and CLEANEST! Even beats some of the cheap end hotels I have stayed in here. Probably the cleanest hostel in any big city in Ireland... and for some unknown reason many hostels and hotels are just plain nasty in this country but the great Irish people make up for it.

Kinlay is a bit out of the way up the hill from the bus and train stations and a bit tough to find your first time here, but its well worth it. Just stop by and ask the friendly locals or save yourself the hassle and jump in a cab for a few euro. The front desk staff have always been friendly and usually ask you how your stay is (which is surprising in a hostel) one employee even brought my bag up the stairs for me when I checked in! They can book some tours and happy to give suggestions on where to go.

I like the location in Shandon because its convenient to the city centere and the train and bus station its more quiet than the hotels and hostels on McCurtain or St Patricks street. There is also a great little Chinese take away (Jumbo Chinese) and a few corner shops down the street heading away from the city centere that I would recommend and save the trek back down the hill. While the area may appear a bit sketchy late at night I've never had a problem, even walking alone in the middle of the night.

The hostels has a tv room with cable, bit rundown, but is clean and cozy. Free wifi in the tv room, dining room/kitchen and a lot of the hostel. The kitchen is fairly well stocked with utencils and two fridges for guest food. Guests get private rooms with or without a bathroom and most shared dorm rooms have a sink far as I have seen. Shared bathrooms are usually almost spotlessly clean and you don't want to immediately pour alcohol over your foot and possible set it on fire if it happens to touch the floor. Beds are even usually comfortable and blankets provided are warm. While the upper floors tend to seem to be a bit colder there are radiators in the rooms and seem to stay decently warm even in the middle of winter. You can even hire a towel if you didn't bring one.

The am breakfast is simple, but does the trick. If you don't like it you can always grab some somewhere else or make your own in the kitchen.

After staying in all the hostels in Cork this is my favorite!

Room Tip: I am sure whatever your seeking just let the staff know and they will try their best to accommodate...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo