“Pros & Cons....”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 4, 2010

The pros outway the cons but I still feel I should point out the cons...

Cons...
1. Cloth furniture sofas, chairs etc. & carpet need a good cleaning..very grubby..
2. My spa treatments got mixed up...the girl who took my booking didn't note I was pregnant and therefore had me booked into treatments that I couldn't actually have.
3. The relaxation suite (which has only 2 chairs) is very poor..I actually went out to the sunloungers at the pool to relax...
4. My dinner reservation in the Perrotts Restuarant & the Orchids Restaurant got mixed up...
5. Very expensive..€16 for a glass of champagne..but I still couldn't resist!

now the pros totally outway the cons..but I would like if the mgt still noted the few pointers above...

1. Excellent service with Bart and the girls/men on reception, bar, dinner service etc.
2. Excellent food...loved the breakfast...yummy..pancakes & bacon!
3. Great location...just a few mins drive to city centre.
4. Pool area lovely...and warm...had a feeling of being abroad with the heat coming through the windows!
5. Great room size
6. Excellent bathroom size..loved the bath!
7. Wished the room service lady would call to the room a bit later in the evening as every evening except for 1 I was either in the bath or getting ready to go out to eat so therefore missed out on the turn down service etc.

I would still recommend this hotel and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
perfeksie, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

Dear Guest Mull,

May I begin by thanking you for staying with us at Hayfield Manor and for taking the time to write your helpful review.

It was a pleasure to learn that you were pleased with the service and the food in our restaurants, we at Hayfield pride ourselves on providing the highest quality food and service.

I am dissappointed to hear about some of your experiences during your recent stay, however I would like to thank you kindly for bringing these to my attention.
We take all of our customer feedback very seriously and I personally take it on board. Without drawing light to areas with which you were unsatisfied, we would not be able to operate at the high standard which we do.

I would also like to offer my sincere apologies about the mix up and confusion with your reservations. I do hope that these did not inconvienience your stay. I can assure you that these matters have been addressed.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we would love to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hayfield Manor Hotel

Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed here on a bank holiday weekend trip with our young daughter, and loved it. The service, food and hotel generally were excellent. Having dined at the Four Seasons in Dublin the previous night, we have no doubt that the service in particular was world class. The concierge/head porter Bart should be entered into friendliest service competitions. The food at both restaurants was very good, and the hotel, while only 15 years old, gave the impression of being a beautiful old hotel.
These following are very picky criticisms, and did not affect the quality of our stay.
Criticisms include location and the room itself. The location is perfect for those with events at the university, but is not as central as we had hoped. That said, it's only a 15 minutes walk to downtown. The family room we stayed in would have been fine for a family with an older child, as the two beds were right by one another. The carpet was a bit shabby, but we also realize that it may not make sense to replace the carpet in a family room too frequently either. We did notice that some of the detail painting was left undone -- laying down on the bed, one could look up at the ceiling and see unpainted areas, particularly in the window alcoves.
The management of the hotel has invested its funds in the appropriate places (staff), and will eventually need to allocate to some renovations in a year or two, but the experience remains phenomenal.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
perfeksie, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

Dear Always_travel 76,

First and Foremost, may I take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us at the Hayfield Manor Hotel and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time while you were here on the ‘May Bank Holiday Weekend’.

It was a pleasure to learn that you were pleased with the service of staff, in particular our concierge; Bart who you think should be entered into the world’s friendliest man competition! Nice idea! I will be sure to pass on this praise to him and indeed to the other members of our team.

I appreciate your constructive criticism on some matters concerning your room. I apologise for any inconvenience that these may have caused you. I can assure you that on hearing your review these matters will be seen to immediately.

However, thank you for bringing these small but still important issues to my attention as this is how we can continue to allow our visitors appreciate the five star quality of our hotel.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2010

I am shocked to hear comments from last review i attend a dinner at Hayfield on the 28th last month and foun the whole experience faultless to the last, excellant food, wine service and the rooms are what they are charming old manor house hotel what else whould you be looking for in a Manor Town House

Maybe you were unlucky you should definatly try again

Hats off to yea all at Hayfield

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Dear Mirrlachs1,

Thanks a million for taking the time out to post this your very kind comment regarding the quality of our dining. We do strive to make absolutely everybody happy and to enjoy the genuine old charm that Hayfield Manor has to offer.

We are delighted to hear that you had a lovely experience here with us and we will be absolutely delighted to welcome you through our doors again in what is hopefully the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2010

This hotel is amazing!!! The look of the place is stunning. On arrival
My partner and i were immediately upgraded to a superior room. The butler gave us a guided tour of the hotel, two tastly decorated restaurants, a black marble top bar, a stunning library and drawing room. Our room was very big with Elemis productsin a huge bathroom. On the first night we had dinner in the Orchid's restaurant.. dress up well!!. The food was to die for!!! Sumptuous starters; foie gras with rabbbit and white bean soup with pork belly.. we then had the steak for the mains .. it was soft and very tender.. followed by dessert white chocolate with honey comb and my partney had baked banana with chocolate held in a banana frita.. The wine was great... The next day we treated ourself to back massages for 30 mins at 50 Euros each.. felt very relaxed. We then took our car and drove all the way to Mizen Head its the most south westerly point of Ireland... Dont miss out on the beaches .. white sands and aqua seas.. i could not believe it!! The second night we dined in the Perrotts bistro.. we had fish dishes.. very nice... The sit down breakfast each morning was very tasty... Overall we had a great stay.. The service was great. The restaurant staff are very attentive, The reception is very attentive. The kingsize bed was a blessing.. very comfortable mattress.. the maid turned down the bed each night.. Very old charm!! When we left we given a very friendly send off... overall we had a very relaxing time here... definately rent a car and explore Cork, and the immaculate villages all the way to Mizen head...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Steve trips,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post such a gratifying description of Hayfield Manor on Trip Advisor. It was very enjoyable for me to read.
Also, may I take this opportunity to thank you for staying here with us.

It was an absolute pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and were so pleased with the service of staff, the quality of food, the comfort of your room and also that you appreciated and enjoyed the beauty of Cork city and county in general!

I would like to thank you for your appreciation and support.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Sorry folks, but i have to disagree with the rave reviews on here. Myself and my husband went there for Valentines weekend. We found the room to be ok ( have stayed in better) the staff very helpful and friendly but the food was awful. I ordered the fish and it was dry. the sauce was water. I am not one to complain but i had to give it back. My husband ordered a bottle of wine and the wine was produced and about to be opened when my husband noticed it was not what her ordered. they then told him they didn't have the one he ordered. he asked to see the wine menu again and they didn't have 6 out of the 9 wines on the list.
I have to say we were dissapointed. it was very expensive for what it was. I wrote outlining my concerns but they never so much as acknowledged it..
Lovely grounds, nice staff but really in my view not of a 5 star standard

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
VanVrede, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

Dear zac12,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review which was posted on Tripadvisor, I was most disappointed to read about your experience at Hayfield Manor over the Valentines weekend.

I would also like to thank you for bringing this to my attention, as this is the only way that we can improve on our customer service. I printed of your review this morning to give to our Head chef, I want to assure you that we will address the issue immediately. We have since changed the menu in both our restaurants. The fact that nobody acknowledged your complaints is also disappointing to me, as we take the complaints that we do get very seriously.

I take your comments on board and thank you for your review, however it will be a honor for us to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor. Please contact me directly, as I would like to personally oversee your visit.

Warm Regards

Ettienne van Vrede

Reviewed May 2, 2010

My husband and I decided on a last minute getaway and decided to try the Hayfield Manor. It is one of the most enjoyable weekends away we've had in a long time, mainly down to the quality of this hotel. The staff were wonderful, extremely helpful and seem to really enjoy their jobs. They are a credit to this hotel. We ate in the Bistro restaurant on one evening and the food and service were excellent. But the breakfast is one of the best we've ever had, wide selection, fast service and piping hot! From porridge and pancakes to the full irish, we nearly didn't need to eat for the rest of the day! Really excellent. Our room was spacious and spotless. The Ambassador Chinese in the city is another good restaurant to visit, and there is a lot to do in and around the city (which is about 15mins walk from the hotel). This place really is warm and welcoming, we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Betsey84,

Thank you very much for your recent review on Tripadvisor, it was a pleasure to read, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that you felt relaxed when you departed.

I will forward your comments to all the staff, whom I know will appreciate it very much.

We look forward to your return to Hayfield Manor in the near future.

Warm Regards

Ettienne van Vrede

Reviewed April 24, 2010

This really is the best hotel I ever stayed in from the moment we arrived every need was taken care of. The staff were amazing they go the extra mile to look after you. we had dinner in the bistro and I had the steak. It was the nicest steak I ever had and my wife had a lovely chicken supreme I tasted it and it was very tasty. The room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. The spa was also very nice but I only used the wet area while my wife had a facial. We did not get a chance to eat in the fine dinning restaurant but it looked lovely. We cant wait to go back there soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
perfeksie, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Dear Sean 123,

First and Foremost, may I take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us at the Hayfield Manor Hotel earlier this month.

How can one express such appreciation for such a heartwarming comments!

I am delighted to hear that you cherished the service of our staff, the quality of the food in Perrotts and the style of the bedroom.
I will be sure to pass on your praise to the whole team here at Hayfield Manor.

Once again I am thrilled to hear such positive comments and we all appreciate such exquisite appreciation and support.

Warmest Regards,