“Lovely hotel, outstanding service, very nice location”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in Hayfield Manor Hotel as we toured Ireland. During our trip we stayed at several properties and Hayfield was one of our favorites. Our stay there could not have been better. The hotel is lovely, very comfortable and very well maintained. The staff is professional, attentive and friendly. Our room was clean, well appointed and very spacious. We had dinner one evening in the Orchid restaurant and one evening in Perrots Garden Bistro. The Orchid restaurant is fine dining without being stuffy. The atmosphere in the restaurant is elegant but relaxed. Our meal in the Bistro was casual and simpler, but very well done. Both meals were delicious, the prices were very reasonable and the service was excellent. We liked the location of the hotel, near to city sights, but tucked away from the noise and busyness of the city. The hotel has a lovely spa and garden and plenty of places to relax and read or visit with friends.

1  Thank EmmaandElle
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Guest EmmaandElle,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us recently at Hayfield Manor and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you for your very kind praise of all aspects of our hotel. I am delighted to know that Hayfield Manor was one of your favourite locations during your stay in Ireland.

I sincerely hope that should you return to Ireland, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Ettienne van Vrede

Write a ReviewReviews (3,148)

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast offer for one night. The hotel is located in the treelined hills of Cork city so you feel as though you are in the countryside. It is a beautiful hotel that feels more like a country manor. The service is exceptional, the bed was like sleeping on feathers. We spent our afternoon lazying about and taking advantage of the pool and outdoor hot tub. Followed by a delicious and romantic dinner and cocktails in the bar. The next day we feasted on a hearty breakfast of locally sourced produce. We left feeling revived and completely relaxed.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest SAM2180,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel, especially our service, location and cuisine. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful recognition from our guests.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel based on a recommendation from the Irish Independent and the reviews I read on Tripadvisor. I was expecting there to be a large walled garden based on the reviews, however, there was not, it was tiny - tiny but nice at the same time. The location does not allow it to be bigger. The hotel itself is lovely and looks so pretty on the outside and indeed it is pretty and opulent on the inside. I stayed in a junior suite so I was really expecting it to be breath taking and it really was not. It was larger than a normal room and within the same area was two steps up where there was a table and two chairs. With the exception of the two steps I cant see what would be different from other rooms. Oh bed was fantastic. There was also a coffee machine that you had to set up. The room was nice but nothing spectacular.
What was spectacular though was the service and the attention we received. From the second we pulled up- we were waited on- valet parking and luggage taken- nice touch. Shown to the room and within a few minutes a call to make sure all was ok. Service at dinner and drinks was very good. Dinner itself was a tad disappointing- we had it in Orchids restaurant and I wish we went to the bistro instead. I had scallops, duck and passion fruit mousse. My friend had salmon, pork belly and cheese board. The one thing i could say was truly lovely was the cheese board. I found the meals to be extremely small. Breakfast on the other hand was lovely.
The spa area was very nice, the pool lovely and the hot tub outside was lovely. Towels were not plentiful and we had to wait for someone to come to reception to get a towel as ours got wet. This was rather annoying - we actually had to use the phone to get someone to come to us. Perhaps they had left out enough towels but with ours getting wet they probably thought they had left out enough.
Overall, a lovely hotel in the city but I cant help but wonder if it's style over substance. If this hotel was half the price it would get 5 stars as I wouldn't have expected so much but because of it's price tag I was expecting great things.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view- my room was looking at roof tops despite it been a junior suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjc_10
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear mjc_10,

Firstly I was delighted to learn that you were pleased with our service, our décor and our spa facilities. I will be certain to forward your kind words to the entire team, and I am sure that they will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I was quite disheartened, however, to learn that you were not so pleased with your junior suite. We have a number of junior suites in the hotel, and no two are exactly alike in style, as each is individually designed and decorated, although I would like to clarify that each junior suite would have additional amenities including a Nespresso machine and a separate relaxation area which are not standard in our Manor or Superior rooms. Had we been aware of your dissatisfaction at the time, we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative that was more to your liking, and I do apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

I am also very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the size of our walled garden. As we are located in the city centre, we are regrettably not in a position to extend our grounds at present. We are however always delighted to recommend the lovely grounds in the University next to us to any guests who wish to take in a scenic stroll, as well as other walks around the city. I am very sorry indeed for your disappointment, and I do hope that it did not detract from your overall opinion of our hotel.

I would also like to apologise for your disappointment in the quality of your meal in Orchids Restaurant. Please be assured that I will be meeting with our Head Chef to discuss your feedback, and I hope that on your next visit you will see a marked improvement in our cuisine.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again in the future, and I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly when you plan to return to Cork, so that I can personally oversee your visit and ensure that you receive the full five star standard of service for which we are renowned.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

At the end of our recent amazing 5-day trip to Ireland we spent a night at this hotel. It is full of character, though the room was quite small and dated. The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. Breakfast was tasty and varied (the only place I've ever seen a medallion of beef, and scones and cream on a breakfast menu!). We didn't eat in the restaurant so unable to comment on the quality of the food, but it was a bit pricey. In the morning we went into the pool which was a very decent size for a hotel, but had to wait for the steam room to warm up which was a bit of a pain. All in all, if you're going to stay in the town/city of Cork, this is a very pleasant place to be.

Room Tip: Try and get one that doesn't face the car park.

Dear Bernadett1960,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us recently.

I am delighted to know that you both enjoyed your stay, and I hope that we helped to make it a very special break for you. Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful praise of our hotel.

I am especially grateful to you for your marvellous praise of our cuisine and our service. It gives me great pleasure to know that we exceeded your expectations, and I do hope that we have helped to make it a memorable stay for you both.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

By far the best hotel in Cork, and one of the leading hotels in Ireland. Great facilities, food and helpful service with a smile. Rooms are well appointed in the classic, homely style of the hotel. Well located for a weekend break in Cork.

Dear andrewf2013,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and that you thought so highly of our hotel. I am very glad indeed to know that we exceeded your expectations.

I am particularly grateful to you for your wonderful praise of our staff. I will be certain to forward on your comments to our team. It means a great deal to us all to know that we made such a wonderful impression, and I would like to thank you again.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I were travelling around Ireland and needed to stay somewhere near Cork. The Hayfield Manor had some good reviews so I booked a night.

Right from check-in the hotel feels great. The concierge valeted our car and the front desk lady showed us to our room. The room was first rate, very well furnished and high quality. Our bed was so comfy I didn't want to get up!

Breakfast was high quality. I had the Irish Breakfast and it was the best I had since getting to Ireland. The staff were well trained, courteous and helpful.

I loved my stay and booked a second night.

The only slight observations I would make are that there is no fridge in the room and no shaving mirror - both very minor things.

I would defiantly recommend the Hayfield Manor to family and friends - it is one of the best hotels I have every stayed at!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BertBantham,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your visit so much that you extended your stay. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our hotel from the moment that you arrived, and I would like to thank you very much indeed for your kind comments, and for your lovely recommendation of Hayfield Manor.

Thank you also for your marvellous praise of our cuisine and especially of our staff. I am immensely proud of our wonderful team, and it gives me great pleasure to know that their efforts are recognised.

I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I thought I'd treat myself to a stay at Hayfield, having been to Cork many times but only having got as far as afternoon tea at Hayfield. I'm afraid i was quite disappointed. I am not a fussy traveller but the place could do with a bit of maintenance- it is a bit 'tired'. The room and the hotel interior had seen better days. Dinner in the bistro-type restaurant was OK, although the service was rather slow. Breakfast too was OK, but not of 5* quality. To top things off my wake up call, requested personally at the desk, didn't happen and on bringing it to their attention, I was just told that they'd make sure I got one the next day. I'm afraid it was a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Zotsha,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to write your review.

I was quite dismayed to learn that you were disappointed with your stay, and that you were not pleased with our décor or our service.

I was also very sorry that you felt the service in our Bistro was slow, and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the standard at Hayfield Manor, and I do hope that you will accept my sincere and unreserved apologies. Please be assured that your feedback is most welcome, and that I will be discussing your comments with our Bistro Manager and our Head Chef, so that we can determine how to better our service for the future.

I was especially concerned to learn that you did not receive your wake up call. This is quite unacceptable, and I will be addressing this issue with our Front Office Manager immediately. I would like to assure you that we will be taking steps to avoid such an event from recurring in future. I am aware that this may be of little consolation to you at this point, however I do hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, and my gratitude for bringing this issue to my attention.

Thank you also for your feedback on our interior design. I would like to clarify that our décor is classical in style, and therefore our furniture and fixtures are “old world” in design rather than modern. I would also like assure you that I will be reviewing our programme of refurbishment following your comments, and I hope that on your next visit you will find both our décor and our service much improved. Thank you once again for your candid feedback, which is greatly appreciated.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again. I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly when you plan to return, so that I can personally oversee your stay.