“Wonderful staff but slight food glitch”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful staff but slight food glitch”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We attended a wedding here at Christmas, though didn’t stay in the hotel. The hotel looked particularly lovely with Christmas decorations up and fires lighting. From the time we arrived the service was top notch. We were welcomed by Bart, who took our coats, showed us the room where the wedding would take place, and guided us to the bar. The bar was quite busy, but the staff were extremely helpful and let us sit in the restaurant area even though we weren’t eating, as we just wanted a quick drink before the wedding.

The room where the wedding and meal took place were lovely, though a bit of a squash to fit everyone in. One or two people were standing during the ceremony, and I was quite penned in in the corner of the room during the meal so couldn’t really get out easily without disturbing other guests. This might have been the fault of the bride and groom for inviting more people than they should have though, rather than any fault of the hotel's.

The food was generally nice and definitely above your average wedding fare. The one big problem I had, however, was that prior to the wedding, I had rsvp’d to the bride that I and my partner would have the vegetarian option which she said would be available. When the waitress came to take our orders, we requested the vegetarian option only to be told “oh I don’t think there is one – I’ll check with the chef”. She then came back to say “we can offer you chicken”. I’m sorry, but chicken isn’t vegetarian! So as not to cause a scene and upset the bride, we said we’d take the chicken, but just ended up eating the vegetables.

Aside from this mix-up, the whole experience was lovely and the staff are definitely what makes this place stand out above the competition. I can't comment on the bedrooms as we didn't stay the night, but friends of ours who did said they were fantastic and that they'd definitely return for a weekend break some time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Itchy_English_Feet
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest Itchy_English_Feet,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to Hayfield Manor.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your praise of our team; I am thrilled to read that you found everyone to be extremely helpful. I shall be sure to relate your kind comments back to everyone for which I am sure they will be most grateful.

I am however very sorry to read that you felt our drawing room & reception area were too small to hold the wedding, this is most certainly an area in which we are currently trying to improve and evolve.

I am also extremely disappointed to hear that you were not offered a vegetarian alternative during your meal. It is absolutely in our interest to exceed the expectations of all of our guests and we most certainly do offer a vegetarian option alongside all of our menus. I can only apologise whole heartedly for our mistake in serving both you and your partner chicken as a vegetarian option. This is absolutely not our standard and is a mistake which should have never occurred.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind and balanced feedback on our hotel. We are always striving to achieve higher and that is only possible with honest, candid feedback such as your own.

I sincerely hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, please do contact me personally when you wish to return so I can personally ensure that you are very well looked after.

Ettienne van Vrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed here for a one night break. Its essence is that of a typical country house hotel and it will tick all the right boxes if old school chic and glamour is your thing. Friendly staff, great facilities for a small establishment and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dolly1912
Dear Guest Dolly1912,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor, and thank you also for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed our manor house chic and that you found all of the team here so friendly, I assure you that I will relate your kind comments back to everyone.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, hopefully in the near future.

Cork
Reviewed February 17, 2014

A big thank you to all at Hayfield Manor for a lovely stay.

We stayed last Friday night for only one night,,sadly, it was too short, but we will return. From the moment you arrive at the door you are made welcome to your departure. The hotel was warm and cosy. The dinner was excellent and breakfast was definately one of the best breakfasts. The choice from buffet and menu was excellent and again staff great.

1 Thank CorkfamilyCork
Dear Guest CorkfamilyCork,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently, and thank you also for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our cuisine in particular. I am delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast offering, I hope that you indulged yourselves in a glass of our Bucks Fizz.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I love this hotel, there are no words to describe how perfect everything about it is!!! People who are working are really amazing, service is perfect in every aspect! My husband and I had wedding there and one year after, we went there to spend our wedding anniversary weekend, even we live few minutes from there:). Hotel made our wedding and our anniversary really special, they are treating their guest like you are most important on the world. I would and I do recommend them to everybody and I will come back again! Best hotel I ever been in and I have been in 5 starts hotel! This one is treating you like your are family..

1 Thank Tamara C
Dear Guest Tamara C,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am absolutely delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit with us so thoroughly. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel, especially our staff.

It is always a great pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guests’ expectations, and it is gratifying when the team are acknowledged for their hard work. We are fortunate to have a wonderful team at Hayfield Manor, and I am certain that they will all be delighted with your kind words.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back again in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I am a regular user of this hotel, and its facilities are delightful. The staff are pleasant, polite, welcoming, and animated. The rooms are well-kept and spacious.

I have been here for business, romantic getaways, family celebrations and for relaxation. Whatever the occasion, Hayfield Manor has been an extremely pleasant experience.

The spa is small (pleasantly so), but well-kept, with excellent massage therapists. Afternoon tea is delicious, and a particularly nice method by which one can relax with friends and loved-ones.

I highly recommend this hotel for all purposes. Both restaurants are of the highest standard and provide an excellent, broad selection of food and beverages. Breakfast is varied and pleasant. The grounds are stunning.

Room Tip: I have stayed on the first and third floor on numerous occasions. Both are proudly kept and quiet.
1 Thank EmerAhern
Dear Guest EmerAhern,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and indeed for continuing to choose to stay with us.

It gives me great pleasure to know how much you continue to enjoy your stays with us, and I am absolutely thrilled that we have had the pleasure of being able to host a wide variety of occasions for you and your family.

I would also like to thank you for recommending us; it is only by such wonderful recognition such as your own that kind words are spread far and near about Hayfield Manor.

I sincerely hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor time and again for many more stays.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The most beautiful experience I've ever had at a hotel. True 5 star luxury, superb service, stunning room and and facilities that make you feel like your on a cloud. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ozchickinuk
Dear guest Ozchickinuk,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I would like to thank you kindly for your high praise of all of our facilities within our hotel, especially for your praise of our team.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Bedminster, New Jersey
Reviewed February 11, 2014

If you want a trip back in time and make believe that you actually live in this relatively small (that is how it "feels") manor of your own, then this is the place to stay.
My husband and I LOVED the feel of this place...it feels "small", the staff is extremely on top of everything but you don't have them on your face...Another place that feels like being at home but with all the attention and pampering you may or may not have in your own home.
The food is excellent, the beds are delicious to sleep on, the location is perfect!!!!! we are definitely going back!

Room Tip: if you could stay in the presidential suite....it is worth it!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LFZ_81
Dear Guest LFZ_81,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us recently at Hayfield Manor and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you for your very kind praise of our team and hotel overall. I am delighted to know that you felt our home was yours as we strive very hard to ensure our guests are made to feel exceptionally welcome.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.