“Lovely Hotel - Fantastic Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, Canada
“Lovely Hotel - Fantastic Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I were brought to the Hayfield Manor by some of my work colleagues while we were visiting Cork this summer. We did not stay at this hotel but we dined in the restaurant and it was absolutely fabulous. The food was fantastic; every meal at the table looked divine. The service was top notch as well. I would highly recommend dining here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mklaz
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest mklaz,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to dine with us recently, and also for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful praise of our restaurant. I am delighted to know that you were so pleased with both our service and our cuisine, and I will be certain to forward your kind comments to our team. I am sure they all will be thrilled to know what any enjoyable experience you had.

Thank you also for recommending us, it is greatly appreciated.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back through our doors again in the not too distant future.

Ettienne van Vrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The location of this hotel on the edge of Cork squashed into a old terrace housing estate which is not in a good state of repair and this is the view from many of their rooms and suite windows.

Inside is much nicer but you are surrounded by a poor area of the city.

The food was inconsistent at best. Breakfast was excellent while early evening/late afternoon sandwiches and afternoon tea were very poor in quality and presentation eg china and cutlery.

Our evening meal was also very poor food quality.

All of our observations were taken on board by the management but each time things appeared to improve hours later something else occurred to spoil our stay.

I would avoid Cork if possible and stay in the surrounding area which would still allow you access to Cork if needed.

Room Tip: You are better on a lower floor as the view is of old worn terrace houses.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Martin S
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest Martin S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am very sorry indeed to know that you were not pleased with our location. I would however like to clarify that we are not in fact located in a poor area of the city. We are situated beside University College Cork, less than two kilometres from the very centre of the city, and therefore a lot of the local buildings and houses in the area are quite historic, with many listed buildings dating back to the 1860’s. Due to their listed status, naturally they have not been redeveloped in a more modern style but have kept their traditional designs.

I was also quite disappointed that you experienced some issues with our service and cuisine during your stay. Your feedback has indeed been taken on board, and I will be speaking with our team members to address these issues. I do apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry once again to know that you were not pleased with Cork, however if you do decide to return I would be grateful if you could contact me directly, so that I can personally oversee your visit.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent a very pleasant night over the bank holiday. Room was really fabulous as was the welcome we got from the lovely Bart and the reception staff. I can't speak highly enough of those staff and of Bart. We spent the afternoon in the pool, which while reasonably small, was very nice and very well maintained. We then had dinner in Orchids - the fine dining restaurant. It was here that there were a few niggles which I felt let the place down. While the food was very good, the service was patchy. For example, despite the menu indicating that we would receive petit fours with our teas and coffees, these never arrived. I was a bit annoyed about this when I saw the table beside us get them. We also had to ask for the bill three times before it arrived. While these were small annoyances, they simply shouldn't happen in a hotel of this standard and at the price that we paid for dinner. Breakfast the next morning in Orchids tasted divine but again small niggles with the service - namely we were left waiting a full ten minutes to be seated for breakfast - this is despite the fact that there was no queue and there were plenty of empty tables. Apart from that the breakfast was really delicious and a fantastic selection. Overall a wonderful stay with just some very minor annoyances.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ChicciDublin
Dear Guest ChicciDublin,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted to learn that your overall impression of Hayfield Manor is so positive. I am very grateful for your kind feedback on our accommodations and leisure facilities, and I am delighted to know that you and enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

Thank you also for your kind praise of our staff. I am very glad to know that Bart and our Reception team offered you a warm welcome. I am also very glad to note that you enjoyed our cuisine, and I will be certain to forward your comments to our chefs. I am sure they will be delighted.

I would like to apologise however for the poor service that you encountered in Orchids restaurant, and I would like to assure you that this is not our standard by any means. I am very sorry for any inconvenience that it may have caused you, and I would like to assure you that I will be speaking with the team members in relation to this matter.

It would be my great pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again in the future.

Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

From the moment we stepped out of our car and were greeted by Bart, the bellman until we drove away three days later with steaming cups of coffee for the road, we had an extraordinary visit. We travel frequently and know what to expect from a five star hotel but Hayfield Manor exceeded our expectations in every way. Besides the beautiful grounds, comfortably elegant room and public spaces, the staff goes out of their way to surprise and delight you. As a result, we would go out of our way to stay at the Hayfield Manor the next time we visit Cork.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sandra E
Dear Guest Sandra E,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us recently and indeed for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was an absolute delight to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our guest rooms, grounds and public areas. I do hope that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

Thank you also for your very kind praise of our staff. I will be certain to forward your comments to each and every member of the team, as I am sure they will all be as thrilled as I Bart in particular will be delighted to know that he made such a wonderful impression.

It means a lot to me personally to know that you think so highly of Hayfield Manor, and I would like to thank you for recommending us.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is truly a 5-star hotel! The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming and the rooms are great. They have a very cool garden that stretches around the hotel, and it's nice to just walk there. The location is perfect since it's within easy walking distance of the city center, but not so close that it's crowded. There's free off-street parking, which is always nice. We made friends with David, the bartender, who's super nice and chatted with us about local life in Cork for quite a while. He mixes a mean drink too :-) The housekeeping staff is wonderful; we were there on our honeymoon and they created a beautiful heart-shaped design out of towels and rose petals on the bed for us. Very cool.

A couple things that could have been better: (1) The hotel offers money changing services, but refused to accept $100 bills, saying that no bank in Cork will honor them. We then walked to Ulster bank, who accepted them without any problems. (2) Those, like us, who like to travel casual may be a little uncomfortable at this hotel, as all the other guests will be a little high-class and stuffy (sweater tied around the neck types).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vlad G
Dear Guest Vlad G,

Firstly I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor on Trip Advisor, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently while celebrating your honeymoon.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. I am delighted that you were pleased with our service. Thank you very much for your kind comments on our hotel. I will be certain to pass them on to the whole team, and I am sure that David will be especially delighted to know that he made such a wonderful impression.

Regarding our currency exchange, unfortunately our bank, along with most financial institutions in the city, will not accept $100 bills, and for this reason we are regrettably unable to exchange them. I would like to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Hayfield-Manor Hotel while in Cork. Everything was by far amazing! The staff was outstanding and the manager did an excellent job as he was so kind he called up the sister hotel, the Killarney Royal, to see if we could upgrade to a suite. When we arrived at the Hayfield we were escorted to our room and were asked if this room was good or if I wanted to see another room. We had our own golf/putting machine! It definitely lives up to its standard. The breakfast at Orchids was amazing! I had an omelet and a scone which was very tasty. The waitress was very nice and helpful. I am looking forward to revisit in the future. this is a must stay while in Ireland

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank sammmy29
Dear Guest sammmy29,

I am absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and to know that we managed to exceed your expectations. It always a pleasure to receive such recognition from our guests. I will be certain to forward your review to the team, as I am sure they will all be as thrilled as I am with your wonderful comments.

Thank you also for your kind praise of Orchids Restaurant. We take great pride in the quality of our cuisine, and I am especially pleased to know that you enjoyed your breakfast immensely.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor in the near future.

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

a perfect place! thank you for everything!! room is beautiful,clean, the breakfast is amazing. uyou really feel special. we will come and visit you again very soon i hope. staff is very very friendly, you can walk to the city, and the staff will help you with anything you need. there is a beautiful pool facing the gerden and a spa of course! it was a great weekend, and the sun was shinning!!

Room Tip: the best breakfast ever!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon S
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest Sharon S,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

It was an absolute delight to read through your review, and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to Hayfield Manor and to Cork so thoroughly. I am very glad to hear that you were pleased with our service, and I would like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel during your stay. I am especially glad that you were able to enjoy our garden in the sunshine. It gives me great pleasure to know that we managed to exceed your expectations, and I hope that it was a very special experience for you.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully very soon.