“Great time, we enjoyed it but difficult to rate”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great time, we enjoyed it but difficult to rate”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have the privilege of travelling broadly and staying in many hotels around the world both in "chain" and "boutique" hotels. I have only recently taken to reviewing and I find Hayfield Manor one of the most difficult Hotels to describe (and always have done). I can relate to all the recent reviews published both positive and critical. I personally love its quirky, slightly eccentric (Irish?) nature. From the moment you arrive you have a conversation with the concierge (whether you want one or not) and the reception tries to be informal at a leather desk (but it is unusual). The rooms are clean and pleasant but they and the fabric of the hotel (windows) in the older part of the hotel do as many reviewers have commented on require an upgrade in the near future. The Spa is great and the exercise room bearable (small) but both are showing signs of tiredness.
I have stayed in the hotel several times over the years and will stay it again since I enjoy its quirkiness, and yet it probably is not a true 5* hotel. Somewhere the balance of efficiency and service is not yet quite right and it probably has just too many activities going on in its relatively compact reception/lounge/bistro/restaurant area, although it does try extremely hard on the service level. It also successfully adresses problems promptly if they are drawn to their attention.
(I will write a seperate review of the resturants). Clearly the Hotel is very popular with the local community but this does create a local rhythm e.g. no real opportunity for a relaxed aperitif prior to dinner in a managed fashion (unless you want to sit in a busy Bistro of course). This local approach may not always translate for an experienced traveller.
Haven written the above review I should add that for this trip I was able to have my wife with me for the weekend and she loved the hotel so thats probably all that counts.
My advice to fellow travellers is to keep an open mind and enjoy the hotel for what it is.

Room Tip: I have found all the rooms ('newer' and 'older') that I have stayed in quiet and cal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve M
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest Steve M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review of Hayfield Manor, and also for your continued support of our hotel and restaurants.

Thank you for your fair and balanced comments. I am delighted to know that you enjoy the atmosphere and surroundings of Hayfield, and that you enjoy returning to us time and again. We are always delighted to see our guests returning, and it was a pleasure to see you back with us recently with your wife. I am especially glad to know that she enjoyed her time here too.

In relation to our guest rooms and fabrics, you are quite right indeed that they require an upgrade in the near future. In fact, we are currently in the process of making refurbishments throughout the entire hotel. As I am sure you are well aware, Hayfield Manor is a reasonably large hotel, and it does take some time to get through all 88 guest rooms and suites as well as our restaurants, leisure facilities and public areas.

We are also undergoing training programmes with our staff, both existing and new, in an effort to increase customer satisfaction. I do hope that you will find the improvements in our facilities and our service to your liking on your next visit.

I very much look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Hayfield again very soon.

Ettienne van Vrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I don't know where to start! We only stayed for 1 night but the service was outstanding from the moment we walked through the door! We had afternoon tea which was amazing, I would highly recommend it! When we checked in we were shown around by Michael, who was friendly and helpful! He couldn't do enough for us!the outdoor jacuzzi is fab, and when I couldnt find a hair bobbin the staff didn't rest until they found 1 as though it was a matter Of national security!breakfast the next morning, simply amazing!!every member of staff has a smile an friendly hello!!making my next booking ASAP!thank you hayfield manor!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Tess1987
Dear Guest Tess1987,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently, and for taking the time to write your review.

From beginning to end it was a pleasure to read your wonderful comments. I am absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel during your stay. Thank you for your very kind praise of our cuisine and especially of our staff. It gives me great pleasure to know that our efforts are appreciated, and I will be certain to forward your wonderful review to the whole team. I am sure that they will be as delighted as I am, especially Michael. Thank you again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband & I recently stayed here for two nights while travelling around Ireland. The hotel is tucked away at the end of a cul-de-sac, in its own grounds and resembles a country house. On arrival we were told at reception that we had been given a room upgrade, we had booked a deluxe room and not sure what we were upgraded to. Although we liked the room, as we had asked for one in a quiet part of the hotel, we felt very disappointed that we had to start our stay by complaining, which actually spoils our holiday. The water in one of the sinks in the bathroom would not drain away as the plug was broken, we could'nt turn the towel radiator on in the bathroom so the room was cold and there were half a dozen coat hangars missing off the rail in the wardrobe, with only the hooks left, leaving very few hangars for us to use. We spoke to reception and the faults were dealt with promptly. When we returned to our room we found a note apologising for the issues, along with some chocolates. During our travels around Ireland we stayed in other 4* & 5* hotels where there were no faults with our room at all, so in our view our room at Hayfield Manor had not been serviced properly prior to our stay. Reception asked if we would like to change rooms but we declined as the faults had been fixed and we liked the outlook & it was quiet. They also told us that three staff had checked our room before we arrived, if they did, they did'nt do it very well. The service in the bistro was slow, however it was excellent in the lovely Orchids Restaurant where nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Countrybumpkin99
Dear Guest Countrybumpkin99,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor on Tripadvisor, and indeed for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Ireland.

I am quite disappointed to note that you experienced some issues with your room when you arrived. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. At Hayfield Manor, we continuously strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations on a daily basis, and I am very sorry to learn that we did not manage to impress in this instance. Despite this I am quite glad to hear that our team were able to assist you in rectifying the issues, and I am delighted to know that you were pleased with your room. I would also like to thank you for your kind praise of our service in Orchids, and I will be certain to forward your comments to the team.

I would like to assure you that I have taken all of your comments on board, and I will be speaking with our accommodation team to prevent any future occurrence. Thank you again for your very helpful feedback.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you and your husband back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully in the near future.

cork
Reviewed April 11, 2013

i start by saying i have worked and travelled all over the world and stayed in some of the top notch hotels but one of my favourite to stay in and dine in is the Hayfield Manor.There were a group of 6 of us that ate in the Perrots recently and it was excellent from service to the taste of the food.
I was reading some of the other reviews and of course there are always things that can be improved upon but for us;there wasnt.
I also believe that you cant keep everyone happy no matter if you are staying in the Burj Al Arab in Dubai.
To sum things up,the food and service was superb and we will be back again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WillL240
Dear Guest WillL240,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

Thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our service and our cuisine. I am utterly thrilled to know that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and especially your meal in Perrotts Bistro. It is always a delight to me to know that our efforts are appreciated by our guests, and I will be certain to forward your comments to the whole team. Thank you again.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to Hayfield Manor again in the future.

Ettienne Van Vrede
waterford city
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed with my husband for our wedding anniversary. We chose the superior room. It was very large but didn't really hit the spot. The fixtures looked quite old and worn. Food was lovely and staff were very friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotelitis
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest hotelitis,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary in May 2012, and also for taking the time to write your review.

Thank you for your very positive feedback relating to our cuisine and our staff. We are fortunate to have a wonderful team at Hayfield Manor, and it is always a delight to me when they are praised.

We endeavour on every occasion to provide the highest five star service possible, and therefore I was quite disappointed to learn that our accommodations did not surpass your expectations. I would like to apologise most sincerely and unreservedly for any inconvenience caused, and I would like to assure you that had we been aware that you were dissatisfied with your room, we would most certainly have offered you alternate accommodation immediately.

Since your last visit, we have undertaking a program of refurbishment in our guest accommodations, in addition to our public areas, with a view to improving our standard. We are confident that these improvements will result in greater guest satisfaction in all areas of the hotel.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback, and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future, so that you may experience firsthand the result of our efforts.

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in hayfield last weekend with a friend of mine and I have to say both of us enjoyed an exceptional experience throughout our stay. The meeting and greeting right through to the service proves how the staff can make you feel special even on the shortest of stays. We enjoyed little personal touches throughout our stay with every need met and exceeding our expectation. We are not very fussy people when it comes to dining and experiencing hospitality but the welcoming and friendliness we experienced from each staff member went along way in creating such a warm atmosphere and overall relaxed feel throughout our stay. As previously mentioned it is the personal little touches that really made our trip memorable and we were very lucky to have had the pleasure of such quality service, wonderful surroundings and an ambience of calm along with high class food and drink which made our weekend stress free and one that must be repeated.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve D
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest Steve D,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor last weekend, and indeed for taking the time to review our hotel.

From beginning to end it was a pleasure to read through your wonderful review. I am utterly delighted to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel during your stay, and I do hope that we managed to make it feel like a home away from home for you.

Thank you for your very kind praise of our staff and our cuisine. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful team at Hayfield, and I will be certain to pass on your kind words to them all. I’m sure they will be delighted to know that their efforts have not gone unrecognized. Thank you again for your very kind words.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friend back again, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have eaten here a number of times, and all meals with the exception of one were very average. The service in the garden bistro is hit and miss, and doesn't seem to be able to cater adequately for parties of more than 4 people. On one occasion, three people were served almost cold main courses, while one other was served a hot main course but when the rest of us were nearly finished eating , and no apologies from the waiting staff.

The reception staff were hit and miss, one very rude person when we complained of ants in the ensuite bathroom. Other reception staff were very good. The rooms are lovely and the outdoor hottub is great. The bar menu to over-priced. All in all, not a true 5-star experience.

Room Tip: Don't take a ground-floor room during the summer to avoid ants.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TP0
Dear Guest TP0,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us last August, and also for taking the time to write your review. I am exceedingly grateful for your continued support of Hayfield Manor.

We endeavour on every occasion to provide the highest five star service possible, and therefore I was quite disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations on your previous visits. I would like to apologise most sincerely and unreservedly.

As I’m sure you can see from our many other reviews, we take great pride in the team at Hayfield Manor, and it comes as quite a shock to learn that you found one of our receptionists to be rude. This is certainly not the standard at Hayfield Manor, and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for this.

Since your stay with us last August, we have initiated a number of changes throughout the hotel, with a view to improving our standard. Every department of the hotel is being reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure that these standards are maintained. In the last few months, we have seen changes both structurally and to staffing in Perrotts Garden Bistro, with a new team and new head chef. Our Reception team has undergone changes also, including new team members and more intensive training, and we have been undertaking a program of refurbishment for our guest rooms since late last year, in addition to refurbishment of other areas within the hotel and grounds. We are confident that the improvements that we are implementing will result in greater guest satisfaction overall, and indeed we have recently had many satisfied guests both dining and staying with us.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback, and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future, so that you may experience the full measure of our efforts.