“Bleak House !” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lough Mahon House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Lough Mahon House
Ranked #39 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Wolverhampton
“Bleak House !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

I thought that I had done my research before we headed to Cork for the weekend, I thought that I had selected a Guest House with character, what I got was Fawlty Towers without the humour !

On arrival we were met by a young girl who to be fair, tried her best. We were shown to our " luxury " room, sadly where the curtains should have been there was just fixing holes. Tatty roller blinds then, to block out the traffic noise . The bed ,to be fair, was large and the bedding clean, shame they did'nt bother to make it up at any time ! It was strictly self service, remind me, how many stars do they claim ?

The heating in our double room was ok, however the family room that my mother was moved to was freezing ( she was moved as soon as we got there due to the fact that the girl could'nt get the door to lock, just as well really, she was'nt that keen on the sweat stained faux suede headboard in the first room )

Breakfast rubbish,can the veggie option really only run to fried eggs and beans ? Are these the new owners that are trading on past high standards ?

Don't be fooled by the nice website, the pictures are years out of date. This establishment is well past needing a makeover.

To summarise, clean ,but very basic.A Zero star B& B !

Can it get worse ? well the location was terrible, overlooking a busy dual carrigeway, a 12 euro cab ride into town.

I think I'm done ! give this place a miss !

Stayed March 2008

Solo
Business
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2006

I always check whether or not a hotel has good or bad reviews with TripAdvisor and on the whole have found it an excellent resource. However, this time tripadvisor let me down badly! A visit to Lough Mahon in December 2006 left me disappointed for the following reasons:

1. Lough Mahon is on the motorway and has a large flyover directly in front of it. There is motorway noise all night.

2. Lough Mahon is cold.

3. Lough Mahon is not hospitable. We were met by a man and taken to our room. He did not check to see if we were happy or needed anything. I asked if we could get a cab to town, he did not call a cab for us but returned with a handwritten note and barely muttered a word. The bare minimum of service!

4. The same man cooked us breakfast in the microwave. The vegetarian option (which I had been assured was available) was tomatoes and mushrooms.

I have become used to being pleasantly surprised by the standard of bed and breakfasts and believe they often surpass more expensive hotels. However Lough Mahon was nowhere near as nice as I hoped it might be! I did notice it had a for sale sign outside. Lets hope its new owners will put a bit of effort into making sure its customers are looked after.

Stayed December 2006
3 Thank PaulMcCarthy

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2005

Stayed here one night in June 2005. Our entire group of 8 friends/couples (mid thirties in age) loved this bed and breakfast. The rooms are really cute, with wonderful and very comfortable beds and pillows, with down comforters. The breakfast was fabulous, and Pete and Lisa were extremely hospitable! Thier recommendation for dinner was our best dinner in Ireland! We only wish we could have stayed longer.

The only con is that you have to drive or take a cab to the center of Cork. This is the kind of place where you want to go to bed early and sleep in - it was sooo nice!

• Stayed June 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2003

On one of the websites I see that the place is run by Tony and Margot.
However, the've leased it to their friends Pete and Lisa, a nice couple - great cooks and hosts who make you feel at home. That may be a cliché, but true for us nonetheless.

The breakfast-menu has much more than the traditional Full Irish breakfast. Try the slected cheese, the fresh grapefruit and organic yoghurts.

The place is alongside the N8 but is firmly isolated so we were not troubled at all by the traffic.With about 20 minutes it may be too long for some to walk to the inner city of Cork, but the hosts will call a hackney which takes you there for about EUR 6,00 or will even give you a lift.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member