“Old Charm with a modern flair”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Waterford, Ireland
“Old Charm with a modern flair”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night, check in staff very friendly reception areas very clean and on site parking is big plus. Bar staff very friendly and the food in the bar is really nice. Id recommend the BLT and Chips with side salad. Very reasonably priced also. Once getting to our room we were pleasantly surprised at the size of it, by far its one of the biggest hotel rooms we have stayed in, 2 steps to the giant windows then and there was a door that opened out onto a balcony that had amazing views of cork city. The bathroom and room came fully equipped with everything you'd need, which included a full size fridge and ironing board and trouser press in the room. Beds were very comfortable and we most definitely will be visiting the Ambassador Hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a city view room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting such a positive review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. It is always a pleasure to read such nice comments. I will be sure to pass your nice comments on our food to our Head Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We'll it's a top of a hill, so that was knackering..
Hotel is a tad oldy worldy..
Food wasn't bad
Internet was ok
Bed and rooms were ok
Reasonably clean
Not the best staff ever but they were ok..
Once upon a time this place would prob of been top class, sadly it's stayed the Same as everything else has moved on..
Attached a few pictures

I'd stay again as location, cost and all in all it was alright...

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent visit. It is a disappointing read if I am being honest, as we never strive for the words ok when we open up for business. I fully respect your views, and would like to reassure you I am aware of the issues you raised, and thankfully new owners here at the hotel are going to help us in restoring some comfort, elegance to this fine building. I would hope should you find yourself Cork bound, you would make contact with me, where I would take personal care of your booking, and hopefully you would see some great improvements to our hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Although it's up a major hill (Cork is full of hills), this is one of the friendliest hotels I've ever been in from Chris who checked is in to Valerie & Vivienne in the bar. The room was big & spacious, beautiful view over Cork & clean. Breakfast was good & my lunch was lovely. All in all lovely place & would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for such a positive rating following your recent stay with us. I am obviously glad you enjoyed the check in, and delighted Vivienne and Valerie took great care of you. I will be sure to thank them on your behalf. We hope you will visit us again soon.

General. Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Somewhat difficult to find; the streets in and around St. Lukes Cross area of Cork are not really driver friendly (especially when you are not used to driving on the other side of the road). I would agree with others, the interior is starting to show age and Wifi is only available in the main lobby with very limited seating.

The staff is helpful and very friendly and will suggest outside activities when asked. The breakfast was somewhat spendy and there are plenty of other options just down the hill. The room we had did have a great veiw of the harbor and the city of Cork. We even had a small balcony that we could go out on, however no seating was provided. Would have been nice for the morning tea.

Over all, not too bad of a stay, but felt the value just wasn't up to our expectations.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay. It is a fair comment to stay the decor does need care and attention. Thankfully with the arrival of new owners to our hotel, decor and Wifi throughout the property are high on the list of items that need immediate attention.

I am sure should you return you will be pleasantly surprised at the efforts we are going to, to restore some of the grandure to this fine building.
I would welcome any comments in this regard.

Detroit
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our vacation through Ireland, and were very disappointed. I had booked the reservation using Hotwire which apparently reserved us the worst hotel room in the building. The hotel was extremely difficult to find, and when we arrived we were given a room on the third floor. The elevator only went up to the second floor and so we had to carry all of our luggage up two more flights of stairs. When I asked the woman at the front desk if we could be put on the second floor she quickly responded that they had no openings (without checking) and then told us "oh it's not a full flight of stairs only a couple of steps." Just to let her know, it's actually two full flights of stairs (11 steps a piece) quite far to carry all of your luggage. When we arrived in the room it was definitely dated and needed some sprucing up. The hotel claims that it is four stars, but by US standards it's more like a 2.5 star hotel. I would definitely not recommend the hotel, especially if you use a third party booking site because they treat you like a second class citizen and put you in the worst rooms on the third floor. Horrible hotel with a very rude reception staff.

Room Tip: Don't use a third part site or you will be put on the third floor in the worst rooms.
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit to Cork. I fully accept the decor in our hotel is something that needs addressing. We are currently working on plans to improve the quality of all guest experiences when staying with us. As this is a building over 140 years old, we do have rooms of all different shapes and sizes, in all areas of the hotel. I want to reassure you, regardless of where the booking comes from all guests are as important to me, and my team. All we strive for is to ensure we deliver the best service we can. I am truly sorry we did not during your visit. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss any negative experiences with any team member, I would be happy to talk with you.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed for one night on a business trip. Cork was very busy and it was difficult to find a room at short notice. The armchairs in the reception area were extremely old fashioned, grubby and worn and did not make for a welcoming environment.

The room was a long way from Reception and difficult to find especially when dealing with luggage.. No porter was in the hotel but guests are invited to comment on the quality of the portering service on the guest comment form in the room.

I am sure that some of the rooms at this hotel resemble the spacious airy rooms shown on the website. However,my room at the Ambassador was small and smelled of a dirty ashtray. The room was clean but the furnishings very poor. The curtains were torn and would not close, the chair stained with a cigarette burn. There was no wi-fi in guest rooms even though a card in the room advertised "wireless internet access is available in entire hotel". There was no light fitting on the ceiling light with bare bulb and exposed wiring, the paintwork was extremely thick and amateur looking. I requested another room but was informed that none was available....... no wonder this was the last room available in Cork!!!!!

As I was tired, I decided to have dinner in the hotel. The decor of the "restaurant" was like a cross between a nursing home and a 1960's holiday camp. Plastic covered dining chairs, cheap looking tables, everything very dated and unappealing. The menu was diabolical. The dishes on offer sounded horrific totally unappetising "deep fried falafel on naan bread with salad and tandoori mayo, topped with ranch dressing served with french fries and curry mayo" or " braised pork belly topped with garlic and parsley crust on a ragout of baby potato, cherry tomato, green beans and black pudding with a chorizo cream" and "classic buffalo chicken wings tossed in a mild louisiana sauce served with ranch dip" and "stealth fries" what are stealth fries?????? I asked for a plain sirloin steak, chips and salad as there was absolutely nothing on the menu that appealed to me. I wish that I had got a taxi into to the town centre to Isaacs restaurant, only a few minutes away!

When I was checking out of the hotel I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay. Clearly I had not. The hotel manager overheard my comments to the receptionist and very kindly waived the cost of my dinner as a gesture of goodwill. I appreciated this gesture but would sooner have have enjoyed the experience in the first place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank suzielegge
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent visit to Cork. I was the manager on duty when you were departing the hotel. As discussed at the time, I would have been more than happy to sit and discuss your stay but unfortunately you were pressed for time and you had to leave. To address your comments, I would firstly like to reassure you, as a team we are fully aware of the work that is required to bring this hotel up to a suitable standard of comfort of our guests. Unfortunately due to constraints of the hotel being in receivership, we were unable to improve on a lot of areas of the hotel that needed it. Thankfully we are no longer in receivership, and the new owners are very supportive in our aim to address the issues you have raised. I am sure if you were to hold judgement on us, and give us an opportunity to show you we are worthy of a second chance, we would receive a much more positive review from you.

I would ask you contact me directly, to discuss your stay.

Thank you again for your valued feedback,
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I spent the night at this property and were not impressed. Supposedly a
view of the Lee river but one has to really, really use their imiganation. Ditto for wifi --
NOT available in the rooms although the rooms are very spacious. Supposedly a short
walk to town but in reality 20 to 30 minutes downhill but almost must take a taxi back
up the hill. TV's not worth much and of course no air conditioning. Not impressed!!
Further, the front desk clerk, a young lady named April, was the pits!!! Would not
come back!

2 Thank tombob7
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your valued feedback, I am sorry our hotel did not deliver a service worthy of a higher quality review. I would be interested in speaking with you to get a bit more detail of your stay, bs our team usually command high praise from reviewers. I am delighted to let you know the new owners of our hotel, are putting plans in place to offer all of our guests full Wifi access throughout the entire property in the very near future.

I would ask you to make contact with me in your own time.