Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's after midnight here in our room (#222) as I'm writing this review. I'm wide awake because there is a wedding going on (on a Thursday night) and loud party guests have been hanging out outside our room for the past several hours loudly talking (sometimes shouting), laughing, carrying on. We initially had the window open because it's warm and there is neither a fan nor A/C in the rooms, but closing it has made no difference to the sound level. We have traveled a long way to be here and are dealing with some severe jet lag and this is really unacceptable.

We called the front desk to complain over an hour ago and were told by both the receptionist that she didn't think there was anything they could do about it, because it's a wedding party and it's probably people outside for a smoke. We then spoke to the manager who told us he would try to get them to quiet down, but there's a wedding party going on until 12:30, so it would quiet down after then. We have yet to hear any abatement of the noise.

I don't see why they seem to think there's nothing they can do - the parking lot is on private property and the guests could easily be asked to quiet down or leave, but apparently that's not possible. Meanwhile, while management sits on their hands, we have to sit here in this warm room trying out different white noises on my wife's phone to see if there is any way to get to sleep. How can management think this is ok? I wasn't invited to the wedding. I wasn't told when we booked that there would be a loud wedding right outside our window. We were told the hotel is sold out and there are no rooms that we could be moved to - we are wondering why they didn't bother assigning the rooms above the party to the people attending the party?

There are advertisements all over the hotel for various wedding packages, so they really appear to be trying to drive up how many weddings they have here. if you are planning on staying here (1) seriously reconsider and (2) make sure that there isn't a wedding or that you get here as soon as they start releasing rooms so you aren't stuck with this nonsense.

On top of everything else, the beds are very stiff, the pillows feel like they are made of cardboard, the linens feel like they are made out of burlap, and all the rooms appear to be smoking rooms.

It's now 12:40 and there are still people talking, shouting, laughing, and howling outside.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PamHiran
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your feedback, this review is of great concern to me, as there are a few issues that need to be addressed to explain the unacceptable stay you had to endure with us here at the hotel. Reading your review, I can understand how frustrating this must have been for you.
I would appreciate if you would make direct contact with me,

Thank you again for your valued feedback,

+353 21 4539000

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is close to where I live so it's nice to get getaway for a day or two every few months, I stated here two nights ago for one night. The reception were very helpful and she was very quick checking us in. First of all the room was very big as always. Lovely and spacious. A big bath and a lovely shower. It has a TV with a few channels on it. There was tea making facilities and coffee facilities as well. The breakfast in the hotel is around 10 euro per person. It is a nice full Irish breakfast. The only thing is we got room 111 which is on the main part of a hotel, across the room from the hotel is the hall where the weddings are so it was very noisy In the room, I didn't mind this but keep this in mind if you want a quiet night. There is a bus service from town to st lukes where the hotel is located, these are the no 7 and 8 bus, it costs 1:80 euro for the bus, to get a taxi from town costs around 6-7 euro. There is a lovely local pub in the area called Henchys if you want somewhere to go for a quiet drink. As I said I live around this area so of you have any questions about the area, what to do, or how to get here just message me and I'll be glad to help.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank corkman123

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for rating the hotel so highly following your recent visit with us. I am sorry you had a disturbance during your stay, but grateful this didn't affect your overall view of our hotel. Please contact me directly for your next visit and I will be sure to take personal care of your reservation.

again thank you for your feedback, and the offer to our future guests for information on our wonderful City.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Even though I only live a few miles down the road from here it's great for a short break (even for lunch/dinner/drinks) stayed only few days ago for one night and everything was perfect checking in took two minutes and finding the rooms was easy, reception very helpful and place well kept! The rooms are huge and very spacious! Massive double bed and massive wardrobes and windows! Even the bathroom was huge with a bath and shower so u could relax! It's up a hill but in great location and great view of the city aswell! It's just downhill then all the way to the city centre but u can also get the local bus number (7)&(8) straight to city centre and back only costing €1.80c each way which is handy if u have a bit of shopping! Over all great place and would always return here! Hope this helps and if u have any enquires just ask :)

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for rating the hotel so highly following your recent visit with us. It is reassuring to know we cater for local people also wanting a break away from everyday life. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night in August and enjoyed our stay. Beds and linens were comfortable. We requested a view of the city and it did not disappoint. As other reviews have stated, it is quite a walk up to the hotel which is not suitable for those who have mobility challenges. The hotel layout is confusing, but easy to get used to. The front desk helped us find our way around the city. They said there is no wifi in the rooms but we were able to pick up a signal. This needs to be addressed as travellers now rely on internet and expect it in the comfort of their room. The room service surcharge is 5 Euros per person on top of your order, which kept us away from ordering food to our room. It also states that no take away food is to be brought into the hotel. Not sure why they think they have a right to dictate what I eat in my own room! The parking lot does get full, but we had no problems finding a spot.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for reviewing our hotel following your recent visit. We are delighted you enjoyed your short visit with us, and our staff made a positive impression on your stay.
I take your comments on board in relation to the WiFi. We are currently putting plans in place to have WiFi available in all areas of the hotel, which will be very beneficial to all guests.

We hope the next time you visit Ireland, you will consider a stay at the Ambassador Hotel Cork

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just returned from a 3 nights stay in this hotel.The hotel it,s self is a old building with a lot of corridors and quaint bedrooms.No bedrooms are the same so I can only comment on ours.It was a very large room with everything in it you could need.e.g kettle, iron and ironing board, tele only thing missing was maybe a fridge would have been nice.There is free wifi throughout the hotel.The staff was very friendly and couldn.t do enough for you.I can not comment on the food in the restaurant myself but there always seemed to be people eating there and it was very clean like all area's in the hotel.It is up a very steep hill but a walk down and a taxi back is all that is needed.It would have been nice to beable to sit in a bar for a drink without having to sit with people dinning as there was no other bar open but the restaurant bar.My only complaint is the hotel does wedding receptions and the music went on (very loudly ) until 1.30 in the morning so very hard to sleep until then but that aside a very good reasonable priced hotel for a weekend in cork.
The only

Room Tip: a room not near the wedding venue
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for reviewing our hotel following your recent visit. Hopefully should you visit us again you might be able to dine with us, and enjoy some of our new head chefs tasty bites. I am sorry to hear your stay was disturbed by music, but am glad to see that it didn’t spoil your stay. Thank you for your point of view to other reviewers that this is a very good reasonable priced hotel for a weekend in Cork

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here the second night of our honeymoon. First our room was in a completely different area of the hotel. We had to take an elevator at the back corner, ok not too bad. The receptionist was kinda snotty when we asked for places to go locally. We got dessert and a drink at the bar. Eh that wasn't very nice. Completely understaffed my husband waited 30 min for a beer. We asked them to mail postcards the next morning and got an eye roll. Then we were told we had to dorm back to check out....we came back and got the same eye roll. Room was small and comforter was stained...

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just back from my weekend at this old but charming hotel.the hotel itself is dated but kept very clean.the hotel is up for sale hence prob the reason it has not got a refresh.but having said that the staff are so nice and helpful and make a huge effort to make everyone's stay enjoyable.breakfest was really nice and the duty manager took time out to talk to us.free wifi in rooms which was good .the only real complaint I hav is I think it need a modern bar and I know that will come when the new owners come.really enjoyed my stay and hav stayed in a lot flashier but this hotel has charm and when you leave something draws you about coming back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family