“dirty rooms and no way modern”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Ireland
“dirty rooms and no way modern”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

stayed in the hotel for paddys weekend. lift is so old and did not even go to our floor. we had to walk a good distance and then a flight of stairs to our room. in the room there was tea stains on the windows and walls,a dead moth on the floor big crack in the wash basin a telly from years ago with no remote and very few channels. would not recommend this hotel to anyone and definately not cheap or value for money.my advice is to go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vzr
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel following your visit to Cork. Your review is a disappointing read, for on this occasion we could not at least meet your expectations of our hotel. I hope based on previous reviews from fellow reviewers, you might hold judgement on our ability to deliver a much more positive experience. I would appreciate you contacting me directly at your convenience to discuss your weekend at the Ambassador Hotel.

Thank you again, and I wish you and yours a Happy Easter.

+353 21 4539000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New Ross, Ireland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here recently for a weekend. The room was really lovely in spite of the sink that looked like something rather heavy had smashed into it. It overlooked the city of Cork and was spacious and clean.
Breakfast was very nice with fresh fruit and rolls and yoghurt each morning. Service at breakfast was very pleasant. I'd recommend the omelette - I had it both mornings.
Dinner was a real letdown. We paid extra for steak and it was very tough and overcooked and really there was nothing about it that could redeem it. Starters and desserts were average. So really B&B is the way to go. I loved the front room but I spoke to some people who asked to be moved to the back because it was quieter (depends on your preference).
There used to be another bar open and busy but it was just a small bar and really quite quiet.

Room Tip: Front room for view and balcony. Back room for peace and quiet!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stibars
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel following your visit to Cork. Your review is a mixed one, that has me both glad we delivered in some areas, but disappointed we could not at least meet your expectations in others. I believe we respond well to our guests feedback and strive to ensure we give all of our guests the comfort of knowing we will always try to rectify and areas where we let ourselves down. I hope you would hold judgement on our standard of food here, and make contact with me to discuss this aspect of your stay.

Thank you again, and i wish you and yours a Happy Easter.

Ibiza
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just the one night stay, previous reviews seem to have this place nailed. I might have been unlucky with the food but I adored my period bedroom. It is not easy to have a bad hotel experience in county Cork as the people make it so special and that was no exception here.
I am sure there is a lovely view but the weather precluded me from seeing anything, another day, I will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am delighted the people here at the hotel and quality of our room have created a valued return guest to our hotel. I would have one area of concern. You mentioned you were unlucky with the food. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you, so as to understand where we let ourselves down. in order to improve on our standards.

Thank you again, I wish you and yours a Happy Easter.

Douglas, Cork
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After just going today to your lovely establishment, I just had to come onto Trip Advisor and recommend your Afternoon Tea.

I bought a Grab One voucher last November and hoped to use it on 4th March, but it was already booked. They said that the last date to use the voucher was 12th March, so we decided to book this. I checked here on TA and the reviews were not too promising. Also, people are work were not complementary with your establishment.

From the minute we walked in to The Ambassador, we both felt like Queens. The receptionist was very friendly, the waitresses were both lovely and helpful and when our food arrived, she explained what each item was. I was very impressed. We were also seated at a lovely table near the window, and the sun shining in at us, we could have been in Portugal!

The food was superb and there was plenty of tea and water on offer too. We even left food on our plates, we were so full. There was a great selection of items on offer.

Well done The Ambassador, and if there is ever an occasion for me to come again to The Ambassador Hotel, I will definitely be there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anniebannie1981
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting such a positive review of your Afternoon Tea experience at the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I was disappointed to hear expectations of our hotel were not high, as we believe we offer service far beyond our rating. But I am thrilled to see we left you with a positive memory. Hopefully your friends and family will give us the opportunity to show them how much we care about our guests. I look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Thank you again, and I would like to wish you and yours a Happy Easter.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hotel was in a very central location for our needs. It had free parking and we found parking easily. Staff were very friendly and efficient and went out of their way to help us, in particular our male waiter (didn't get his name). Bedrooms were bright and spacious and the perfect temperature. We ate on the second night in the hotel restaurant. The food was excellent!!!! We had steak which was perfectly cooked & tender, and salmon which was beautiful. Breakfast table was well stocked with a good selection. The only negative point we both has was the pillows in the bedrooms were VERY hard. We will definitely recommend the hotel to friends and will be back again! Well done Ambassador on your excellent standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for such a positive review of our hotel following your recent stay in Cork. These comments show the team the hard work they put in each day has paid dividends for you as our welcomed guest. I will be sure to pass your feedback to our team.
We look forward to your return to the Ambassador Hotel Cork.

I would like to wish you and your family a Happy Easter.

ireland
Reviewed March 8, 2013

stayed in the Ambassador for two nights - when we first pulled up I thought the hotel looked a bit tired but if you think of it as olde world charm it is spot on! I had booked onluine with Hotels.com and got a great rate for two of us!!Situated on a hill overlooking the city, very easy to find and close to everything.
The staff were very nice....special mention to April who was absolutely lovely! I told her I had nothing to read (cos the internet connection i the room wasnt great - fine in the foyer) and she brought me a novel from her own house....the serving staff were also very nice and chatty!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank irishgerri
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive following your recent visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and our team made you feel at home while you were here. I will be sure to thank April on your behalf. I hope you will visit us again soon.
I woud like to wish you and your family a very Happy Easter.

Listowel, Ireland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Still a it old fashion but clean and charming.Balcony room was spacious and a great view of Cork.Close to town but not too close which was nice as well.Only complaint ,had coffee and soup before heading to town and it was a very small cup of coffee and soup more for a child....and over priced ,which is why we decided not to dine there.Breakfast the next morning was great and plentiful with a nice variety and plenty of coffee.Would come back,,,

Room Tip: Get a balcony room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel in Cork. It was great to read you had such a positive experience of our hotel. I am sorry you felt some of our items were overpriced, we are very conscious of ensuring we offer value for money to all our guests at the hotel, just to make you aware for hopefully your next visit, we do offer complimentary refills of coffee upon request,

I hope you will revisit our hotel when in Cork. Please ensure to ask for myself, as I would love to sit and have a coffee with you.

021 4539000