“Not for Stags!!”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Not for Stags!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed weekend gone 26/11/12,, It was a mixed bag really, Nice looking place on arrival, quite old fashioned but very clean,, Our room was really nice double double bed room but other friends booked for same price and room half the size?? seemed a bit of a lucky dip.. Signs to rooms very cunfusing and no existant really.
Suppose our big issue was it is not equipped for large groups of lads and we felt very uncomfortable in main bar as its a restuarant slash bar/ second bar at other end is very dingy old fashioned and half the time empty and unmaned.
Residance bar closes at 3 which is a bit early if looking for late pints,, in the hotels defense our group were not on the best behaviour on the friday but still felt they should have advised us it is not the place to come in the first place,.
Value was EXCELLENT and breakfast was nice,, just a heads up to stags go for value but have your fun in the city!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am delighted to hear you feel it is excellent value, but I was disappointed to read your comments on how this hotel is not suited for stag parties. We currently have a great affiliation with Kartworld Adventure Centre that arrange these weekends, and to be honest this is the first group that has posted any negative feedback in relation to our handling of these groups. We are more than happy to have stag parties at our hotel, all we ask is that they respect the hotel and the staff. To be fair to your group there wasn't any hassle that we couldn't manage.
I hope you would consider our hotel if you were to return to Cork in the future. May I take this opportunity to wish the Bride & Groom all of the best for their big day, from all of us here at the Ambassador Hotel Cork.

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last weekend with a group of friends. Have to say it was really lovely, staff very helpful and food in the bar on Friday night was very good. Great choice for breakfast and plenty to choose from. Had a meal in the restaurant on Saturday night and it was superb and again the service and staff were lovely. The only complaint I had was that our room was hard to find, we had to get two lifts and walk around for a bit to find it but to be honest it wouldn't stop me from going back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 401Scotty
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your positive feedback, following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will return to us in the future. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind Regards,

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at her last weekend, firstly it is a lovely hotel but they really need to put up more signs and make it easier to get around the hotel.. I would never complain over small things but I spent ages trying to find my room, between two separate lifts..one which seems to do its own thing... I understand its an old hotel but to be honest this was my only flaw..
It wouldn't stop me staying again but after lugging my case around half the hotel it would make you wonder...

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor,or first floor.... otherwise its two lifts for you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris C, Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I thank you for your fair comments. Signage is something I will look at to ensure this is not an issue going forward. Please contact me directly when you are returning to us, and I will bring you to see our rooms on the 2nd floor of the hotel, these rooms have private walk out balconies, with panoramic views of all of Cork City.

We hope to see you soon,

021 4539000
Chicago
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Even with explicit directions from a local and a street map, we spent well over half an hour trying to find the elusive street that would lead to the one-way street and Miliary Hill where the hotel is located. We didn't have GPS or cell phones which we could have used to call the hotel for further direcdtions. We were about to flag down a taxi and hire the driver to lead us the way. Once there we found the hotel delightful. Our room had a wide balcony and overlooked the city below. The furnishings were somewhat dated but comfortable. We had dinner there because we were too tired to look elsewhere. The meal was good but with only one server for the dining room and bar, service was slow-paced. Breakfast was served much more efficiently.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank quite
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing the Ambassador Hotel Cork, for your recent visit to our city. I am sorry to hear to struggle to find us, but I am delighted you did.
I appreciate your fair and balanced feedback in relation to your dining experiences. I will be sure to speak with our operations team to see how we can improve on service.

I trust you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Ireland, we hope you will visit again soon.

Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, overlooking Cork city. We had a lovely comfortable room with high ceilings and a balcony, with stunning views of the city. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good with a great choice on offer. Enjoyed a set menu dinner for about €20 for starter, main course and desert. Hotel is a 10 minute walk (downhill) to the main shopping area of the city. Had a great day shopping, but would recommend a taxi for the journey back to the hotel which cost €7.50 for two of us. Had a brilliant time in Cork...lovely compact shopping area, friendly/helpful people and looking forward to a return trip soon!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NMcDKelly
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive review following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to have a room overlooking our City. I will be sure to pass to the departments mentioned, your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were here on a Hen weekend in October 2012. We booked a package that also included activities at a location just outside Cork City. After reading the reviews prior to our arrival at the hotel, we felt our package was very good value for money and this was confirmed once we arrived there.
The Hotel itself was lovely, everyone was so happy with their rooms (and as we had booked 15 rooms, that is quite an achievement). The location was perfect, and the staff are more than willing to help with anything. Included in the package was a 3 course meal, for which the hotel had personalised the menus with the Bride to be's name, which just set the night off for us all. No job was too big or small for the staff there, especially Roy Whitehouse, and I could not praise them enough!
All I have heard from the other girls on the trip was how impressed they were with the Hotel, and the rest of the package. I would like to thank all the staff at the Ambassador Hotel who helped to make it a weekend to remember for us all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MurfE
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for choosing the Ambassador Hotel Cork for the recent celebration of the bride to be. We were delighted to have all of you staying with us. We are well seasoned in taking care of such a large group, and all of the team here at the hotel were commenting on how much fun your group was, and what a pleasure it was to take care of you. I am proud the team made such a positive impression on all of you, and I will be sure to thank them and Roy on your behalf. As you know the commute from Cork to the UK is easier than ever, so we hope you will visit us again soon. On behalf of the management and staff of the hotel, I would like to wish the Bride & Groom a fantastic day, and a lifetime of health and happiness together.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Hotel is a beautiful example of Victorian architecture and the views from my room were spectacular. We were there on a weekend and there are obviuosly a lot of functions held here, but everyone was well behaved and the noise didn't go too late. Breakfast was good also. The only thing I would say is that it is located a bit away from town, and well, as its Cork, it's either uphill or downhill-but this is a pretty steep hill that my elderly parents couldn't walk, but for me, the views were worth it and my parents loved the building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lmhurley
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of our hotel following your recent visit to Cork City. I am glad you and your parents enjoyed your stay and appreciated the wonderful architecture this hotel has. As you say we are located on top of one of Corks famous hills, with this is mind, should you return to us in the future, we also include transport to and from the city in our packages, alternatively we have a frequent public bus service located close to the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,