“Warm, comfortable, stunning views”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Mayo, Ireland
“Warm, comfortable, stunning views”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, overlooking Cork city. We had a lovely comfortable room with high ceilings and a balcony, with stunning views of the city. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good with a great choice on offer. Enjoyed a set menu dinner for about €20 for starter, main course and desert. Hotel is a 10 minute walk (downhill) to the main shopping area of the city. Had a great day shopping, but would recommend a taxi for the journey back to the hotel which cost €7.50 for two of us. Had a brilliant time in Cork...lovely compact shopping area, friendly/helpful people and looking forward to a return trip soon!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NMcDKelly
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive review following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to have a room overlooking our City. I will be sure to pass to the departments mentioned, your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were here on a Hen weekend in October 2012. We booked a package that also included activities at a location just outside Cork City. After reading the reviews prior to our arrival at the hotel, we felt our package was very good value for money and this was confirmed once we arrived there.
The Hotel itself was lovely, everyone was so happy with their rooms (and as we had booked 15 rooms, that is quite an achievement). The location was perfect, and the staff are more than willing to help with anything. Included in the package was a 3 course meal, for which the hotel had personalised the menus with the Bride to be's name, which just set the night off for us all. No job was too big or small for the staff there, especially Roy Whitehouse, and I could not praise them enough!
All I have heard from the other girls on the trip was how impressed they were with the Hotel, and the rest of the package. I would like to thank all the staff at the Ambassador Hotel who helped to make it a weekend to remember for us all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MurfE
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for choosing the Ambassador Hotel Cork for the recent celebration of the bride to be. We were delighted to have all of you staying with us. We are well seasoned in taking care of such a large group, and all of the team here at the hotel were commenting on how much fun your group was, and what a pleasure it was to take care of you. I am proud the team made such a positive impression on all of you, and I will be sure to thank them and Roy on your behalf. As you know the commute from Cork to the UK is easier than ever, so we hope you will visit us again soon. On behalf of the management and staff of the hotel, I would like to wish the Bride & Groom a fantastic day, and a lifetime of health and happiness together.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Hotel is a beautiful example of Victorian architecture and the views from my room were spectacular. We were there on a weekend and there are obviuosly a lot of functions held here, but everyone was well behaved and the noise didn't go too late. Breakfast was good also. The only thing I would say is that it is located a bit away from town, and well, as its Cork, it's either uphill or downhill-but this is a pretty steep hill that my elderly parents couldn't walk, but for me, the views were worth it and my parents loved the building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lmhurley
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of our hotel following your recent visit to Cork City. I am glad you and your parents enjoyed your stay and appreciated the wonderful architecture this hotel has. As you say we are located on top of one of Corks famous hills, with this is mind, should you return to us in the future, we also include transport to and from the city in our packages, alternatively we have a frequent public bus service located close to the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Situated high up, overlooking Cork. Hugh bedrooms with balcony overlooking the city. Old converted hospital with character. Quality breakfast. One bar was closed. Reception area a bit jaded.
Sister hotel is the Oriel house in Ballincollig.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HolidayHound321
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Ambassador Hotel Cork City, I am glad you had a positive experience with us, and we hope you will choose to stay with us when you visit Cork again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here the first weekend in October and booked late. When I arrived at reception the receptionist informed me that my room was a smoking room and the room may have been smoked in over the past 24 hours, would this be okay? (Bit late when I am at reception but however), I said fine! I would not be overly bothered by this. Checked in. Evenly found my room after taking two separate elevators in two separate locations.

The room was fine, small and nothing to see from the window, summing up, it was a small hotel room with all the stuff one would expect to find packed into it. I was staying in this night so I would get a take away and relax with my iPad and there was a program on TV that I wanted to watch. I got the take away, sat on the bed and flicked to the channel, the channel I wanted was not working correctly and upon further searching there were other channels missing also (this is small but annoying none the less when it is meant to be there.) I plugged the iPad into the socket beside me at the bed to charge it, the sockets were not working. I seem to have gone into a lot of detail here but these are the little things one should expect in a hotel room and which really annoyed me this night.

The breakfast the following date was good, what would be expected. The same as all other hotels.

That evening we had a meal in the Hotel. We came down about 21:00 and service finished at 21:30. The meal we got was ordinary. One of the dishes was a pasta dish which had changed to a dried out color on top from sitting out. This was not a nice dish either. The starters were what would be expected and the burger was very ordinary, even poor. They forgot the pineapple of it also which was asked for. Not a big thing but another annoyance. I think the manager on the floor got the impression that I was not please and give us one starter free of charge, this was a gesture but I would have rather a nice meal and pay the same price than what I got. Just because it is getting near closing time in a restaurant is no excuse for letting standards slip which may have being a reason for the bad food however this is speculation.

After dinner we retired to the room for an early night as we wanted to get an early start to other destinations around Cork. We got into bed and the noise from a wedding taking place in the hotel was very loud. It was impossible to sleep through and I would challenge anyone to try. I called reception later that night after attempts to drown it out with the TV but all was in vain. This noise continued until 02:30 in the morning. All the other annoyances I would have put up with but this was intolerable. If the receptionist would have told me this upon arrival the previous day I would have been a lot happier.
I let the receptionist know the following morning, she apologized but this is of little use to me. My sleep was ruined.

Summing up I was in a small, basis hotel room where you could hear all the noise from a conference rooms. The restaurant is average to poor. The staff were nice. However if the staff were mean and the rest were up to par I would have being a happy camper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to Ambassador Hotel Cork, It was with great regret that I read of your disappointing stay. I would ask you to make direct contact with me to discuss these issues, I hope you can trust that this is not a typical stay at our hotel, based on previous guest reviews. I am sure having spoken to me I can restore your confidence in us to deliver a service worthy of a more positive review.

Thank you again for posting your feedback in this forum, as it is only with feedback can we hope to achieve high standards suitable for a 4 Star Hotel.

021 4539000
cork
Reviewed October 17, 2012

we had our wedding at this hotel on 6/10/2012 and we couldnt have found a better hotel if we tried. the hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous, its full of charm, very homely and cosy while having a vintage feel to it. the staff are fantastic, especialy patricia and alan and also april on reception who is always ready for a conversation and a laugh. the management and staff couldnt do enough for us. we honestly couldnt fault the place if we tried. the views are amazing there, especially from the bridal suite. you can see over the whole city!! the rooms are very spacious and beds are extremely comfortable. we would highly recommend the ambassador hotel to anyone and cant wait to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen,

Firstly I would like to congratulate yourself and Gearoid on your recent wedding, we were absolutely delighted to have been chosen as the venue for such a special occasion. We really enjoyed taking care of all of your friends and family. I will be sure to speak with Alan, Patricia and April to pass on your thanks to them. I know they to enjoyed spending time with you both in the build up to your big day.
On behalf of all the Management & Staff, I would like to wish you both a lifetime of Health & Happiness, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your 1st Anniversary.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Lovely staff and lovely room, I stayed there a few days ago with my partner and it was very romantic. We could see the whole city from our balcony, very big room, king size bed....
I'm thinking about something that we didn't like there, but there is nothing!

• Stayed October 2012
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a positive review following your visit to Ambassador Hotel Cork City. I am delighted you had such a positive experience, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.