“Lovely anniversary weekend here”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Limerick, Ireland
“Lovely anniversary weekend here”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Lovely hotel,nice reception. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. We had a lovely room with a great view of cork city. There is quite a steep hill to reach the hotel,if you are walking,but I have to say this added to the experience for us. It's lovely to walk into the city from here. We pottered around , shopped and could walk back to the hotel easily. It's in a great location because it's within walking distance of the city, but far enough away to avoid city centre noise or trouble late at night. Breakfast was great, the gym had everything you need. All in all a lovely hotel, would definintely stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us at The Ambassador Hotel in Cork. I am delighted you had such a nice stay, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
LAOIS
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I recently had the task of organising my sisters hen party in Cork and had googled various web sites to get ideas and suggestions when I came across the Ambassador hotel. I initally thought it will never tick all the boxes for a group of cackling hens but how wrong I was!From my very first phone conversation with Chris, the most helpful hotel manager I have ever met, I was immediately put to ease that we would be so well looked after and a great time would be had by all.Nothing I asked for or requested was too much even down to a more than generous brithday cake, provided free of charge, for my sisters birthday. A last minute request for a projector and a fabulous function room was provided,where we sipped lush cocktails and enjoyed our show! If you are looking for the ideal location and hotel for a hens night away, look no further, the hens package is such good value and so so enjoyable, everyone was made feel so welcome and the attention we were given was as good as what one would get on a wedding day!dont look any further than the Ambassador honestly I mean it!!

Room Tip: rooms facing the front of the hotel with balconys are fantastic, so spacious.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer,

I would like to firstly thank you for choosing The Amassador Hotel in Cork for you recent hen weekend, I would also like to thank you for your positive review. I willmbe sure to pass on your comments to our staff and managers. The group from our end were fantastic to deal with and brought a great sense of fun to the hotel for the weekend. I would like to wish Lilly the very best of luck with her big day, and we hope to see you all soon again in Cork.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Chris Crowley
Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was actually part of the ‘other couple’ as described below by wexford drog.

I’ve been on this forum a number of years but this is the first time I’ve bothered to do a hotel review.

I stay in cork hotels at least once a year (sometimes twice a year), but this is the first time I’ve stayed here! It’s within walking distance of the city centre, but in a very quiet area.

The check in staff were lovely (they couldn’t get enough of my 5 month old son tbh). Room was very big, with a fantastic view overlooking the city! The most spacious hotel room I’ve stayed in Ireland tbh!

Over the 3 nights, the staff were all very friendly and couldn’t have been more helpful. I mean this from the cleaners (one cleaner we met on our first day – name escapes me now- was really really nice and I met her again the next day and she couldn’t have been nicer again), the receptionists (all friendly and helpful), the bar staff! (had great craic with a couple of them!) – and the manager Alan.

It’s easy to judge a hotel when nothing goes wrong. We had a small incident on our first evening, but it was something that could’ve happened anywhere – it makes it easier to judge a hotel, when you see how they can rectify any freak problems. The hotel couldnt have done more to rectify the problem (and investigated how it happened,etc) – and apologies a number of times over the 3 days!

It can be a bit pricey to stay at times (but worth it if ye can afford it). It will be the first hotel I’ll be looking at price wise when staying in cork tbh! Highly recommend it –try and get a city view room when booking! (and make sure to get a bite to eat in the bar, was lovely!)

Room Tip: Ask for city view room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rosewood, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Booked through booking.com, on arrival we found we had been upgraded to an executive suite, no idea why, but wasn't going to question it. Walking through this hotel is just glorious, so old, but beautifully appointed. Our room was enormous by UK/Ireland standards. The reception staff where very helpful in telling us where to go for shopping and sight seeing, the restaurant had good food at reasonable price. All in all a lovely couple of days spent here.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My wife and I, and another couple and their 5 month baby stayed here for 3 nights in March. We got an absolutely fantastic deal pricewise and location was supurb for us. Check in was very efficent and the girl behind the check in desk April could not have been more helpful. Rooms were very spacious and not too stuffy. I had an absolute tremendous view from my balcony.
On the Thursday evening we decided to eat in the bar. However our order went missing and we ended up waiting about an hour and a five minutes. This was quite a stressful period. As a result I decided to ask to speak to the manager on duty Alan. I explained the situation to Alan and he investigated it for me. After about 10 minutes Alan came down to my table and sat beside me and discussed the incident in great detail and was extremly apologetic and completely agreed that situation should not have happened. He explained this very rarely happens and that he commited to doing all he could to ensure our stay went well. Once our food finally arrived all 4 of us agreed it was worth waiting for. I could not praise Alan's handling of this situation any higher and he has turned a bad situation into a good review.
Rest of our stay at this hotel was fantastic and we will certainly stay at this hotel again.

Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Ambassador in March of 2012. I booked the room online and the price I was charged was accurate to what was shown online (about 75 USD). The rooms were very clean. The staff was friendly. The views, as have been mentioned by multiple reviewers are absolutely fantastic. The price of this view is a moderately strenuous walk back up to the hotel from the city center shopping area.

Food quality in the restaurant was better than average (for Ireland). Their beer selection was a bit limited however (no Smithwicks in the place).

Although wifi is provided around the facility, the signal is particularly weak in the upper floor rooms. Parking was easy to find but there weren't many spots to spare so I'd imagine it may be a bit limited in the busier seasons, though I can't confirm.

All in all - our two nights here were fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room facing city center.
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Me and my now future wife stayed here for a long weekend at the end of February. We where so impressed with the room, the view of the city. However we can't thank the staff more from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. They where so friendly and welcoming. Thank you all for making are stay far my special than it was. We can't wait to come back.

Ps thank you to Rhona for all the arragements you made for me and to all the staff. cant wait to see you all again.

Ian & Nikki