“Balanced View”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Donegal
“Balanced View”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Spent a few nights in this hotel. Was greeted with a very warm welcome by the receptionist who was very friendly. Booked this hotel based on price and the availability of free wifi in all rooms and free parking. However, the wifi signal is terrible in the rooms….really bad. Spent my time in the stairwell sending/receiving work emails which was a real pain. Asked to be relocated after the first night due to the noise during the night. I gathered the noise was that of staff outside having a smoking break and a loud chat.
The breakfast isn’t great. Had scrambled eggs which was very very dry. Had brown bread which appeared to be going stale……at least the edge of the brown bread was very tough………….. Had to laugh, all the breakfast juices were available… i.e,. apple, cranberry, orange etc. I had the cranberry juice and when I poured it…………I realised there was a piece of clingfilm attached to the top of the pour spout….so………you can conclude that the juice and jug spent the night in the fridge and was topped up in the morning. At least, that’s all I can imagine anyway.
Dinner is just ok. Everything seems to come in a dish/bowl for some reason. When you order your dinner, in my case, the fish, the fish comes on the plate and the “handcut chips” come in a bowl with the side salad in a bowl and the sauce in a bowl……….…all placed on the plate…....It’s bowls all around……..I’d be happy enough if it was just on a plate thanks….. get rid of all those bowls please………
Ate my meal to discover, the chips were gritty (don’t know if it was soil or what) and the underside of the plate was dirty…..i.e. encrusted food…….very disappointing……
The view form the first room was diabolical………cardboard on the street, bins……..not a pretty site. The view from the second room was better. Nice view of the city………….
Must also give a mention to the two young bar men…….two very polite, friendly and courteous staff members. A credit to the hotel along with the receptionist.
In short, brush up on the food and please sort out that rubbish wifi.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your fair and balanced review following your recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry you encountered problems with the WiFi whilst staying here, we were having issues with certain areas of the building, as this is such an old building with concrete walls there were a few areas of concern. We are currently looking at this and should have it resolved in a short period of time.
I must apologise for the disturbance and the view from your window, i can assure you I have addressed this issue and no other guests should experience this problem.
In relation to the juice at breakfast, please rest assured we do not fill them the night previous for ease of use the following morning, we ensure our night porter fills them at 6.30am each morning and covers them, and the breakfast staff put them to the buffet for 7am. This was a one off incident which will also not happen again,

I have spoken with our head chef following your review, he has asked to be associated with my apologies to you on the quality of the food you were served, we usually recieve high praise for our quality of food, I am not sure why you didn't recieve the same experience, he has spent 2 days with our breakfast team retraining and lifting the quality of items on our menu, I am confident should you return you will see an improvement. I have never recieved comments on the dishes we serve with our evening meals, but we would be more than happy to omit them from your order if required.
Thank you for your kind words on the staff at the hotel, i will be sure to pass these comments forward.

Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Ambassador Hotel in Cork, I hope you will revisit us in the future.

Kind Regards,

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We have stayed in the Ambassador twice over the last six weeks. The location is ideal, less than 5 minutes by taxi from the train station and a nice 10 minute walk to the city centre.

The staff both times we were there were very helpful and obliging and we really took note of this - the management should be very proud of their staff! The second time we stayed we were travelling with an underage basketball team and the staff were very accommodating with us. The food and service in the restaurant is great and there is a very good selection of dishes. There was live music in the bar on the Saturday night and this added to the good atmosphere. Breakfast in the morning was very enjoyable with a selection of bread, fruit, cereal, yoghurts, juices etc. as well as the full fry up.

The rooms and facilities were well kept, clean and very spacious. On our first stay we had a double bed and a single bed in the room. Both times we had great views over the city and a nice large balcony on our second stay.

On both occasions the hotel seemed to be very busy which is a great sign and reflects its good quality. Overall it is a lovely hotel and I would not hesitate to come back again and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel have good views of the city eg. 201 & 103
Dear Reviewer,

It is with great delight I read such a positive review following your stay with us recently. These kinds of comments are what we strive for and I am proud of the entire team for taking such great care of you. I will ensure we continue to tyr and exceed expectations and work tirelessly to keep such high standards for all of our guests. Thank you for recommending us to others, and we also look forward to you visiting us again.

Kind regards,

County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked in here last minute for a Thursday night and I requested a front room with a view, which I got :). The room was a family room so there was plenty of room! It was on the first floor and the windows were huge which gave us a lovely view over the city. We arrived late and there was no problem with checking in, it was swift, informative and hassle free. We popped out for a bite to eat and a wander around the city. It's a really nice 10 minute walk down to the centre of the town, but we took our time and enjoy the layout of the city! When we arrived back, the front door was locked, but the porter was on hand to let us in and have a bit of a natter! The next morning we popped down for breakfast and there was an almighty spread waiting for us. The waitress was on hand instantly to help us and everything was just lovely and you could eat all you wanted too :).

The only thing about requesting a room as the front is the noise. Our room got quite warm and during the night I got up and opened a window to cool down, but the next morning there was a bit of noise, so I just closed the window and conked out again. So it's a bit of toss up between views and waking up early in the morning, but it didn't bother me too much at all.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a gorgeous view!
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel, following your visit to Cork. I would also like to thank you for all your comments they were fair and balanced, I hope in you we have managed to find a repeat customer, who will choose The Ambassador Hotel when looking for a hotel in Cork.

Ireland
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed here twice in the past six months and thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone visiting Cork. It is my favourite hotel in Cork now.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. Food is good. Location is excellent - just a 10 minute stroll downhill to town, and at the bottom of the hill there's some nice pubs/bars with live music - jazz and modern, and most importanly serving great Beamish stout which beats Guinness anytime for me.
Rooms are individually decorated and good value. If you can get a room at the front you'll get a great view overlooking the whole of Cork city.

Room Tip: Front rooms - great view
1 Thank oconjohn
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for leaving such a positive review of our hotel, I am delighted you got a chance to see this wonderful City from your bedroom, this is the only hotel in Cork City that can boast such views. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ambassador Hotel in Cork City soon.

Kind Regards,

General MAnager
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Great hotel with lovely rooms with great views, very comfortable with a lovely friendly atmosphere, the hotel s situated at the top military hill which was a great way to see parts of cork you would never normally have seen ( and fares are very reasonable!!!!!!) would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Denty1980
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a short weekend break in January. We arrived and were greeted with friendly, helpful staff who were willing to help us with all of our enquiries.

On the first night, through no fault of the hotel's, we had a bit of a rough night, due to some noisy guests at a function.

The staff were more than apologetic and bent over backwards to help us enjoy our stay, even moving our rooms so that we were away from the function rooms.

We were extremely grateful, as what happened was not the Hotel's fault and could have happened anywhere!

We will definitely be recommending the hotel to family and friends who want to visit Cork.

Thanks the Ambassador, we had a lovely weekend! The facilities, breakfast, dinner and bars were all fantastic and the staff made us feel that we were valued customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, the view is spectacular
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for reviewing The Ambassador Hotel in Cork following your stay with us, your review is more than fair, and I am delighted we corrected any inconvenience that was caused to you on your first nights stay. Our staff are truly our biggest asset at the hotel, and I am grateful to them for the way they took care of you. Thank you also for reccommending us to family and friends, as we feel this is an ideal location for city travelling. belated birthday wishes to you, we hope to see you at The Ambassador hotel in Cork real soon.

Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
Reviewed January 5, 2012

All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, courteous, helpful, cooperative, responsive, prompt and efficient — in short, a credit to the hotel. The woman who checked us in gave us the type of room we asked for. (The quietest rooms are (probably) on the top floor of the new section, at the back facing away from the parking areas.)

The hotel has free parking on-site — and if full on the street outside. Walking into the central pedestrian shopping area of Cork takes about 20-25 minutes (depending on whether you are walking downhill or uphill). The city center has several supermarkets, some in major department stores.

The first room we had, on the top floor of the modern section behind the original building, was large (as was the full bathroom with double wash basins), comfortably appointed and faced the parking area. The king-size bed, with double pillows, was comfortable. The free WiFi worked well, as did the central heating. The flat screen television provided access to about a dozen channels.

Given the cold weather at the time, we appreciated the coffee-tea making facilities provided in each room we used during our stay. We noticed the lack of a normal chair at the work desk so that one could write and use a laptop computer comfortably.

Occasionally, a water pipe would vibrate and make a hammering sound; however, our closing the bathroom door reduced this noise. Internal soundproofing was adequate as long as other people showed consideration and restrained themselves.

We ate dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Service was good. Dinner was above average. Breakfast till 10 or 10:30 a.m. included a selection of fruits, cereals, yogurts and the like. Staff brought your choice of freshly cooked items, toast, coffee and tea.

We gained the impression from the importance given to parties, receptions and related events that hotel accommodation was an adjunct to providing a venue for social functions. At other hotels where we have stayed, festive occasions have had to finish by 11 p.m., midnight at the latest. Also, someone responsible for hotel security has had the authority to control late-night revelers. If festive events are to finish officially at 2 a.m. and take till around 3:30 a.m. to wind down completely, hotel rooms need to be completely soundproofed — which does not seem the case with various rooms at the Ambassador. A major function of any hotel, especially if part of a "Luxury" hotel chain, is the ability to provide patrons with undisturbed sleep — regardless of what goes on outside a room. From the experience of our visit, this was not the case.

Hence, the deficiency that we encountered (and that you probably will not) related to noise and inadequate soundproofing.

Unfortunately (for us), the first night there had a Christmas party in a function room in the original building. This would not have been a problem had the double-glazed windows sealed our room from exposure to the outside. At the top of the window frame was an air vent. Though it had a cover to close it, the cover did not seal tightly. Consequently, noise from the party and the parking lot outside entered the room — loud conversation, laughing, yelling, screaming, shouting, the bass thump of music, slamming car doors, engines starting, car horns and the like. The room did not have an air conditioning unit or the bathroom a ventilation fan which we could have turned on to provide white noise that might have masked the outside noise.

Around 2 a.m. my partner reached the night porter by phone. (The reception desk is staffed from 8 a.m. till 11 p.m.; for an hotel of the Ambassador's class it should be staffed 24 hours a day, every day.) He said that the party would finish in about ten minutes. Noise did slowly abate, but did not cease entirely as people drifted away gradually. At 3 a.m. my partner went down and talked directly to the night porter. Apparently, he did not have the authority to give us another room or to quieten and hasten the departure of the revelers. He suggested that we move in the morning to a room on the top floor at the far end of the original building. We managed to fall sleep about 4:30 a.m.

Later in the morning staff at reception apologized for the incident, assigned us to another room and offered redress (but not partial or full credit for the lost night's sleep — again disappointing for an hotel of the Ambassador's class).

The room for two people at the end of the top floor in the original building had high ceilings, overlooked the street (which carried limited vehicular traffic), and needed superficial maintenance, such as repainting. WiFi did not work in the room, but did in the corridor outside. Even with the vents above the windows closed, we could feel a continuous, gentle draft of cold air. We did not succeed in adjusting the central heating appropriately; however, the hotel provided us with a small fan space heater which satisfied our needs (and provided background white noise). Though not as spacious, well-appointed, attractive and warm as the room in the modern wing, it worked out much better.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are (probably) on the top floor of the new section, at the back facing away from...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chelydra
Dear reviewer

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing The Ambassador Hotel in Cork for your visit to our city. I would also like to thank you for your fair and balanced view, we apologise for any disturbances on your first night, being a popular City Centre hotel, we do cater for alot of events, especially at christmas time, we do try our best to minimise any disturbance to our residents, as hotel guests are just as important as any other part of our business . I would hope you would choose our hotel for any future visits to Cork City, I would welcome any further comments you may have.

Regards,