Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
$369
Cork Airport Hotel(Cork)(Great Value!)
$223
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
1,167 results
All reviewsmilitary hillhill overlooking the citynight portersteep hillcity centrelovely hotelbridal suitehotel restaurantfull irishlarge roomfrom start to finishstayed here for one nighttop classbalconycookhousereceptionistwedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a night with my mother in 2 weeks ago. The previous night we had stayed in the their sister hotel 'Oriel House Leisure Club and Spa Ballincollig, Cork' we really enjoyed our room there as it was very large and comfortable. You could tell that they had made an effort with decorating the room. The only downside here was the food! We decided we would like to be more central so we moved to the Ambassador hotel we did not know what to expect but we did see a picture from the outside of the hotel and we were impressed, The building has a lot of history behind it which is interesting. When we first drove up the drive way we were quiet impressed the only thing i did not like at first was the height as it is built up on a big hill!! Views very impressive! We checked in with no problem and staff were very helpful. The interior is very dated but i think they want it to feel 'old world'. The lift up to the rooms had a terrible oder we found and felt very dodgy. The corridors are very big as the building was Built in 1872 as a Military Hospital and then later occupied as a nursing home, the Ambassador Hotel was opened as a hotel in June 1997. Our room was very big and had 2 twin beds and a balcony. The facility's I found were rather basic but you had all you needed. The tv was old with not many channels... but the beds were very comfortable. The small restaurant served lovely food, my mom had beef and she really enjoyed it also the hot frys were tasty.
I got a bit of a creepy feeling throughout the hotel for some reason! One thing i noticed was that there were a lot of business people having meetings in the dining room.

TIP: We ate dinner in cork city in a restaurant/bar called 'Electric' which was amazing! I would definately recommended the restaurant for dinner or a drink.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a balcony at the front of the hotel. it is very impressive.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent posting following your visit to our hotel, I remember you both arriving as I was on reception the day you checked in. I was disappointed to see we only scored 3/5 in the rating when you had alot of positive things to say about the hotel. Since you were with us last the Lift has been serviced, and I appreciate your comments in that regard, I am sorry you didn't get a positive feeling when walking through the hotel, most guests would walk the halls commenting on all our artwork and the traditional ornate radiators. The last thing we want is for people to be uncomfortable, but I respect your comments. I would hope you would choose us again if you were to return to Cork City. I would gladly take personal care of your reservation.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at this charming hotel, from the minute we arrived we found the reception staff ( especially Rhona and Chris ) to be more than welcoming, nothing was too much trouble for them or for the other staff we met .
Room was very spacious and had a lovely view of Cork ,had a huge bed, bathroom was brill , water piping hot and fantastic shower.
Cooked irish breakfast was lovely and plenty of it, we certainly would have no hesitation in booking this hotel again on our return to Cork.One draw back was a steep hill so anyone who is unsteady on their legs might need to use a taxi back after a days sightseeing,but don't let that put you off staying here.

Room Tip: ask for balcony view
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for your recent posting following your stay at The Ambassador Hotel , Cork City. I am delighted to read you had such a positive experience. We would hope to see you stay with us, during your next visit to Cork. Thank you again,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nite's. We got a great rate on the room.
The room itself was great, large sized with a balcony overlooking cork city.
The staff were very friendly, we ate in the restaurant, the food was excellent and reasonably priced.
The hotel is just a 10 minute walk from cork city centre, its a nice walk back up the hill but cork has no shortage of these.
The hotel itself seem to have been converted from an old building and it looks really good.
The staff are excellent, really friendly.
Will definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IrelandMike
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of The Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your stay with us, I am delighted you had such positive things to say about the hotel. We hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

My best friend and I (both grandmas in our 50's) took our first trip to Ireland this year. One of our seven stops was in Cork. We missed our first turn and evidently took the difficult way up the hill to the hotel. The roads were very steep, very narrow, and very curvy. But once we made it to the hotel we were pleasantly surprised. It was like we had stepped back in time. The hotel was very regal in a historical kind of way. Our room was huge, there were three beds in there with room to spare. The windows were almost floor to ceiling and the view was beautiful. We walked down the hill into town and caught a taxi back up the hill, per the advice of the front desk. We had mango cheesecake later that night which was awesome, and we had breakfast there the next day, which was very good. The size of the rooms and the view are definitely a plus for this hotel. Also, I realized a few days later I had lost my phone charger. I contacted the hotels I had stayed at and this hotel was the only one that had gotten back to me to let me know they checked but had not found it. We did not get that kind of service from the other hotels. The beds were very comfortable, but they (like five of the other hotels we stayed at) did not have washcloths. We learned not to expect them but I like to mention it in reviews so travelers can be prepared. This was a memorable stay, we were very pleased that this was such a unique hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing the front of the hotel would be the best because you are looking down on the town of Cork.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Smallest bathroom I have ever encoutered, torn curtains, no safe not really "4 star". Friendly reception staff but not one of the better hotels on our trip around Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Dear reviewer,

I was disappointed to read you did not expeiene a 4 Star saty at the Ambassador Hotel, I would like if you could contact me directly to discuss which room you were in and when you stayed to try and find why you were allowed to leave the hotel unsatisfied. The team here at the hotel are extremely proactive in dealing with any issues which may arise from guest comments. Please be assured I will locate the torn curtains and have them repaired or replaced. We do not currently offer Safe Deposit Boxes in our rooms, nor do we advertise for them, however we have a secure system of keeping all guests personal belongings if they choose to request them.
I would hope you could reserve judgement on the hotel, as we get quite alot of positive feedback in relation to the great size rooms in the hotel. Being a 140 year old Victorian building all rooms have different features, the rooms we allocate usually are based on guests requirements, arrival times, special requests etc.
If you could contact me directly at the hotel, i am sure I could turn your last impression into a positive one.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is valued and respected.

Kind regards,