“Immensely depressing place to stay, a lazy choice”

Travelodge Cork Airport
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Midlands UK
“Immensely depressing place to stay, a lazy choice”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

What an immensely depressing place to stay … so why did I. Well, travelling in by plane, the road in to Cork is nose to tail traffic late afternoon so I saw the TL and figured, that will do, it will be fine. Pay the 69 Euro, which needless to say excludes breakfast at Eddie Rockets, the adjoining business partner premises. The room, yes is clean but thoroughly unwelcoming and bleak. Drab colours, dull lighting, plain magnolia walls and not a single Monet print in site. The bottom of the range portable TV with its fuzzy picture is there for your sole pleasure, and a redeeming point, a nice new kettle. I decided to have a bath as the room was fairly cold, to warm up. Laying in small bath gave me time to contemplate whether I should use the miniscule tablet of soap now, or save if for the morning as a treat … These will be the sort of decisions you will enjoy making in the stimulating environment of Cell 202. Now warmed up, and 1/3 of my soap reserve remaining for the morning, I flick on my Laptop in hope of connecting to the outside world and some form of tangible life. Excellent news, there is the bitbuzz WIFI signal available. At check in I asked the Czech Republic receptionist if WIFI was inclusive as I like to select my hotel that provides this, at an inclusive rate to avoid rip off’s. She was unsure, but thought so. Despite normal Eastern European hotel staff efficiency, she was wrong. You will need to fork out a ridiculous 12 Euro a day charge for the pleasure of collecting your email no doubt junk mail too. At least the bed is large and comfortable, so if that is all that matters to you, travel no further. But, add together the dismal room, zero entertainment facilities, the cost of Eddie Rockets breakfast and WIFI you are happily nudging 100 Euro for the night. FOR THAT you could have driven just a few miles in to Carrigaline, and stayed at the very plush Carrigaline Court Hotel which is where I will be tomorrow … nice pool, sauna, restaurant, WIFI … etc. I hope a 1000 of you read this and choose not to stay, until they provide us more than a glorified prison cell for the evening. Travelodge Cork is simply a lazy choice, take it and pay, and be miserable.

• Liked — The road out of the car park
  • Disliked — The barren nature of the rooms, the isolation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
9 Thank Cynical_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
LK
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I had the worst experience of my life at this hotel. A group of English thugs were holed up here on the same night that I had the misfortune to stay at this hotel.

I asked them once to quieten down at ca. 3am to be loudly to to ---- --- and that I would be busted by the four of these beer-bellied louts if I spoke to them again.

I hadn't even considered ringing reception, someone else did but after this I was concerned about my safety so gathered up my belongings and went to reception at 4am to get another room on another floor.

The next day after making a very quick departure I rang the hotel to see if I could get the names of these louts so that I could make an official complaint to the cops. Of course no joy due to the "data protection" laws.

What can you do? These guys should not be allowed get away with this behaviour and this hotel seems to attract the absolute dregs...STAY AWAY IF YOU VALUE YOUR SAFETY

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank EndaStorey
SeaHotel, Hotel Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, April 12, 2008
Thanks for your review.

With respect, I do not see how this is our fault. This problem could occur at any hotel at anytime, and you would not be allowed the guests names at any hotel either. Imagine how the hotel would be seen if we asked the guests to leave because we thought they might cause trouble.

Yes, how the hotel responded could be different, but you make little mention of this and had you stayed we would have happily given you a new room assuming one was available.

Thanks

Alan Watson - Hotel Manager
Cork Travelodge

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Satyed 3 nights. We were expecting a lot of noise as there was a group of lads on their way out into town as we arrived, but never heard a thing from anyone at all the first night. Second night was quiet too and just a bit of noise that was soon over on night 3.

The main problem is the beds, and especially the pillows that are basically a thin piece of foam. The beds have those horrible plastic mattress protectors on them that make you sweat all night. OK they may be necessary in the hotel industry, but I stay in a lot of hotel rooms - expensive and cheap - and these were the worst.

Eddie Rockets was a great improvement over the Little Chef, I see another reviewer had a bad expeience but I can honestly say it was one of the best breakfasts I've had in Ireland, and the coffee was good too. Not the kind of place I would eat in at night so can't comment on that.

Overall, good for the price, easy to find and good parking. Have stayed here before and will do so again.

• Liked — Convienience
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Nijh
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2007

This travelodge was a huge disappointment. I have stayed in many Travelodges and usually they are fine for the price, but this particular place has really been let go.

Rooms tired looking, and a bit damp smelling, but they were clean. Bed very uncomfortable. The electrics in our room were a bit old and unsafe looking - a cracked wall socket where the kettle plugged in, also the heating and towel rail did not work at all. TV fine with the usual set of UK/Irish stations, but teletext did not work.

No phone in room. No do not disturb sign for the door. No hotel/local information book in the room. All these things are provided at other travelodges so why not here? Staff were polite but not really helpful.

Very bad sound insulation between rooms. We were woke up at 2.30 am by the people across from us returning from a night on the town. This travelodge seems to be aiming at sports fans and lager louts, even selling booze from reception, so would not recommend at all for families or couple looking for a good nights sleep.

The restaurant next door is now Eddie Rocketts instead of Little Chef. Very poor. Dinner food ok and fast service but poor selection. Breakfast was awful - undercooked food on freeezing cold plates, with weak coffee and poor quality orange juice. Very slow service at breakfast too. Also thought it overpriced. The breakfast and coffee from the Statoil petrol station nearby was much better and much cheaper too!

Will not be staying here again...

• Liked — cleanliness, pets allowed
  • Disliked — very tired, lack of services
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lexy060204
Scotland
Reviewed April 29, 2007

This place was truly dreadful. Even travelodges have standards but this one did not. We (a family of four including 2 small children) were subjected to spending a night in a room so freshly painted were nearly poisoned by the fumes. The whole hotel was being painted which is good but the fact that the fumes were so overpowering was not. Staff did not care -even when I complained that my three year old has asthma. This is what happens when you arrive very late in the evening with no choice but to stay put!!!
Breakfast was a joke as the cafe facilities adjoining this dump were closed (under refurb) and we had to sit in the hotel foyer practically out on the street.
Rooms not clean.
It wasnt that cheap!! Be wary and stay at the Airport, not in some dump below the motorway. We moved to the Great Southern which is actually in the airport boundary and was like a palace in comparison oh and was also much safer for our children!!

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Linpin
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Ok, so I wasn't expecting anything special from the Cork Airport Travelodge, but really, it is a bit of a joke. A 12Euro taxi ride away from the airport itself, calling itself an airport hotel is a bit tenuous. Rooms were tired and noisy, locks didn't feel secure. My advice - pay the money you'd spend on the taxi fares and stay at the Radisson which is actually at the airport itself. Alternatively, find somewhere in Cork city itself on the west side, which is just as handy for the airport.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank weecalf
Ireland
Reviewed January 31, 2007

You get what you pay for and you dont pay very much. It has a prison-like feel to the place, the beds are cheap and the matress's are far too soft to offer any kind of support (I ended up sleeping on the couch). The TV is limited to about 5 channles and is badly tuned, the bathrooms are outdated and the shower is failry miserable. Needless to say I wont be rushing back......

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — hard to say...so many things I disliked
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business