“Looks like a building from Chernobyl on the outside”

Clayton Hotel Silver Springs
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed February 26, 2014

And it doesn't get much better on the inside.

The last time this place was decorated, a former Hollywood actor was president of the USA. I got "upgraded" to a "room with a bath". It was exciting, at least judging by the demeanour of the receptionist. It was a bath. An ordinary bath, except for the fact that it didn't drain. I could see the wood through the faded and scraped away paint on the doors. No air conditioning - other than a window overlooking the busiest road in Cork. The elevators are those ancient 2 person cubicles that take an eternity to move/summon.

And the service at breakfast is horrendous - I asked for coffee with my breakfast. I waited. I ate. The same person cleared a table beside me. They served 2 tables opposite me. I finished. I left minus coffee.

Don't consider this place for business. The Internet connection is very weak. I ended up using my phone's hotspot.

Room Tip: Try elsewhere. Clarion in the city is excellent, and the International hotel by Cork Airport is too...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
27  Thank NoneOfYoBizness
EDaly2397, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear NoneOFYobizness,

It is with regret I read your review posted on the 27th of February.

First and foremost I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay as here at the SilverSprings Moran hotel the principle of customer care to our valued guests and the enjoyment of their stay is our priority at all times.

I understand when speaking to a member of our front desk team you did not wish to speak to a member of the management team due to the fact that you stated "most of the time they cause the problems”. I am sorry you felt like this as I myself personally would have liked if you took the time to speak with me so I could address your issues with you in person and made an effort to resolve same.

Unfortunately when a review starts by comparing the hotel to one of the greatest man made disasters and loss of innocent life of the twentieth century I am unsure as to how my efforts to find a resolution would have proceeded.

The hotel itself was built in 1964 therefore making it 50 years old and has a long time been a contributor to the business sector of Cork by providing employment to over 150 people at present and performing an important role like all other Cork hotels to the hospitality and tourism sector.

To suggest that the hotel has not been refurbished or redecorated since Ronald Reagan’s US presidency (1981-1989) is simply untrue. The hotel was purchased by the Moran hotel group in April of 2000 and has gone through significant refurbishments since then. By the very fact you stayed on February 26th when we are just finishing the full refurbishment of each ensuite of each room, it is quite obvious that the owners of the hotel are providing serious investment in their property and have done so since the original purchase.

To go through your review point by point the bathroom of the room you recently stayed in was refurbished one month ago with all new fittings put in as well as being newly tiled wall to floor. Yes I agree the back of the door needs to be painted but I can assure you this is part of the refurbishment plan once the bathrooms are finished and will be completed.

On receiving your review I checked the drainage of the bath and found it was draining the water fine. I can only assume the release was not opened fully therefore causing the water to drain slower than anticipated.

On a point of note all our bedrooms have baths outside of our wheelchair-user assisted rooms which have wet rooms (shower only).I believe the receptionist on duty was merely trying to explain that you were being allocated one of our rooms with a recently refurbished bathroom and not a room with a bath as you suggest.

You are correct when you state that the hotel has two elevators for ease of access to the bedroom floors and conference centre but I can assure you they are not ancient cubicles and only capable of carrying two people.

I will concede that one of the elevators would be slower that the Panoramic one as it is in use far more often and busier .Both lifts are capable of carrying 7+ people as is stated on both.

The room you were in was not air conditioned but you don’t mention whether it was too hot or too cold. Either way we could have assisted with a portable device had we known?

I apologise for the breakfast service as does the restaurant manager on duty that morning.Unfortunately your coffee was directed to the wrong table due to human error and not picked up on. I mention this only as an explanation rather than an excuse and apologise for this.

The hotel provides complimentary WIFI throughout the property and is not known to be slow. In fact we recently upgraded all boosters to strengthen the signal throughout the property but again had we known we could have boosted the signal further if it was known there was a problem. I myself was working that evening off the hotels WIFI system and didn’t notice a problem.

Lastly I am unsure if there was an issue with the person on the Front desk’s demeanor be it that she was too upbeat checking you in or the opposite. Reading your review it appears that she may have been too exuberant for you liking and I apologise if you found this to be an issue.

During the week the hotel does its utmost to cater for our corporate clientele as we have a very strong business base and while it is your own personal view that we should not be considered for business, again I feel this is unfair based on my experience of our corporate guests who speak with me on a regular basis.

Overall NoneOFYobizness,

I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay and would welcome any opportunity to discuss this further with you. I am available at your convenience at 021-4507533 or alternatively on email edaly@moranhotels.com.

Assuring you of my most personal & professional attention at all times,

Yours Sincerely,

Eoin Daly.
General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Silver Springs

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed at the silver springs on business third time in a year and whilst I was a bit critical in the past this time ive got to give top marks for a relaxed and very comfortable stay Bar food menu and service were superb and the entertainment most enjoyable Breakfasts were a pleasure lots of staff on duty En suite in the bedrooms have been refurbished and the rooms were spotless warm and comfortable Overall I can only say well done to everyone at the hotel and we look forward to returning in august

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Juan Pablo T, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear sonoftc,

Thank you very much for such lovely review.

We are delighted to read that we have changed your opinion and we thank you for giving us a second chance to show you that your first impression was not the normal way in which we operate.

The new bar menu since its launch has been a great hit for all our customers and the new ensuite bathrooms are proof that we listen to our customers feedback and that The Moran Hotels Group are committed more than ever to provide the level of service and product expected from a hotel of our category.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed her valentines night for a romantic stay. We checked in very quickly with the great receptionist Juan (I think that was his name) we were no sooner in the lovely newly decorated room and I hit my bag off the table amd managed to break a glass.

quick visit to reception Juan had it all sorted for me and also got an iron + ironing board dropped to the room.

We choose to dine in the restaurant that night as we heard great things. We were greeted sraight away by a member of staff whom seemed more eager to get us seated and orders taken than providing good service. However it was busy so it was understandable.. so then he jumps I to his speel about the meal which was exceuted in 1 breath.. not the service we were expecting but as I said they were busy yet this should not have effected service

Overall I quite liked the hotel. Parking is a disaster when it is busy but due to topography of the land I suppose not much can be done although tbey should get rid of tge aged slate stairs..

also my room 305 had a leak of water coming through the wall by the window I forgot to mentiom it to reception however it in no way effected our stay

• Stayed: February 2014
Juan Pablo T, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Lookarounder,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

It gives us our team and staff alike great pride to read your comments as we are delighted that you left us with such lovely memories, especially on a special night like Valentine's.

We are also very grateful for your comments regarding the new bathrooms, as we have indeed invested a great deal to ensure that we can offer luxurious bathrooms expected from a four star hotel of our level.

We have also acknowledged your comments in relation to your dinner, and you are correct in saying that being busy is not an excuse for not providing good service, and we will address these issues to ensure this does not reoccur.

I wish to apologise for the inconvenience experienced with the leak in the room. Unfortunately we have also been victims of the unprecedented weather conditions that have affected the country during the last few weeks, which resulted in a few leaks in some rooms; and we thank you for your understanding as we are relieved that this did not spoil your overall stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future (hopefully during milder weather) and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Dining in the bar is excellent. Staff are friendly and courteous. The menu is varied and the food is delicious. Pleased to recommend. Have been here a few times on business and found it to be a good location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Powerpix,

Thank you very much for your review in relation to your recent dining experience at our Lounge Bar.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your dinner and we thank you for the kind comments you posted.

Our Lounge Bar over the years has become a hotspot for locals, corporates and families alike; our wonderful menu put together by our renown Head Chef Gary Burke, combined with the efficient and friendly service of our Lounge team are what make this venue so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed here whilst in Cork with work a few weeks ago. Check in and out was quick and efficient and the room was clean and functional. Food quality was good as was quality of drinks. Due to time of arrival and departure (after 6pm and before 8am) I was unaffected by any noise from the building work on site. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear SharmanMike,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you received such swift and efficient service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Would I stay here again....... I don't think so !
The bedrooms are far to dated even for the 70/80s fans out there. The room I was in was facing the very busy road outside that feeds Cork city even though I asked for a room at the back of the hotel.
Dinner in the bar lacked atmosphere, not that I was looking for pole dancers and banging music but something to liven it up, they did have a lovely open fire in the middle (turn it on though)
Breakfast was enjoyable, but it's wasn't enough to make me change my mind about staying again.
Onwards to find a suitable hotel in Cork for my next business trip.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sean F

Dear Sean F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay.

I am terribly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues you raised in more detail.

Here at The Silver Springs Hotel, we always strive to maintain and improve our level of service to ensure that we always meet the expectations from our customers, and we welcome your type of feedback so that we can work on our occasional shortcomings and ensure they do not reoccur.

With regards to the rooms decor I wish to point out that we almost finalised a total revamp of all bathrooms, and the feedback we received so far is very poisitive. Unfortunately you were allocated to one of the rooms that had not been refurbished yet, and I strongly believe that should you have seen one of the new rooms, you would have left us with a totally different opinion of us.

In relation to your comments about the Lounge poor atmosphere, I am afraid I am slightly suprised by this, as this is the one area in the hotel that is constantly buzzing; on weekends we also offer live music from 10pm and is generally a very popular venue for locals, corporates and families alike.

Sean F, we respect your wish to not return again, however I am confident that if you gave us another opportunity to welcome you back we would do our utmost to change your idea of our hotel.

If you wish to return please contact me directly on 021 450 7533 or on frontoffice.silversprings@moranhotels.com and I will personally ensure we meet your demands and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Had carvery lunch on sunday here recently. 10.50 for main course and 4.50 for dessert excellent value. Very tasty and enjoyable. They also had face painting and balloon making for kids, good idea to keep kids entertained

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank nancykelle102
Juan Pablo T, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Nancykelle102,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review in relation to your recent experience at our Watermarq Restaurant.

We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your meal, and it is great that you acknkowledged our efforts to make families as welcomed and comfortable as possible.

In recent months there have been great additions to our facilities to better cater for the many families that visit us every year. The brand new playground at Watermarq Restaurant and the indoor play area for the smaller kids have been received by our customers with great praise.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and if there is anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.