“Better than most...”

Clayton Hotel Silver Springs
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed her a few times over the past months. The hotel has generally delivered each time and to be honest I am reasonably impressed.
The building is obviously from the terrible times of architecture when concrete was king and it shows in a lot of places. The rooms a small enough but brightly decorated. You can see the historic wall finishes behind the radiators where things are peeling a bit as well as in the bathrooms with brown porcelain suites and shower heads positioned at a height for the Under-10 girls football team. The broadband works quite well and the TV's do have a decent signal.
The view can be nice from the rooms facing the Lee and the service in the bar area for food and drinks has been very good with competent and friendly staff.
The breakfast is nice during the week with table service for hot breakfast but the buffet on weekend mornings is more in keeping with the 'Paddy Factor' Irish hotel breakfast that resemble a scrum.

Not bad...not bad at all

Room Tip: Ask for one on the 5th or 6th floors overlooking the road into town and the Lee
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Juan Pablo T, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you consistently enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If there is anything I can do to further enhance your future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

we stayed at the hotel 2 weeks ago and the moment we entered the hotel we just felt so welcome, nothing was a problem so much so we went back again on Friday and Saturday night. The exact same experience, the restaurant, staff, food, presentation was just excellent. The location was perfect as just a lovely walk into the city. We had our evening meal there and staff could not do enough. Reception and Duty Manager cannot speak highly enough of..I'll certainly be back hopefully within the next few weeks again. Ann and Jean

Room Tip: the view over the Rver Lee amazing from our bedroom. two lovely beds very peaceful sleep and so comf...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ann & Jean,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

It gives us tremendous pride to read such faboulous feedback, especially the ones relating our staff efficiency and friendliness, as your comments reflect exactly the level of standards we always strive to provide.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me diretly on silversprings.frontoffice@moranhotels.com

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in the Silver Springs in Cork for three nights during a conference. The rooms are functional. The bathroom is very small and quite dated. The hotel is beside a busy carriageway so don't open the windows if you want a good night's sleep.The bedroom itself was fine. My only quibble was the bathroom Apart from the size, the taps in the handbasin were difficult to turn on,,, and off.The hotel staff were extremely pleasant. We ate in the Watermarq restaurant and it was ideal for people who wanted good food and quick during busy conference. Parking is not ideal if the hotel is busy. The Conference centre itself is fine.fit for purpose

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review.
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, and we have noted the valid issues you have raised.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and should you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on silversprings.frontoffice@moranhotels.com.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

OK, so it's reasonably priced when compared to other hotels in Cork with a pool (I'll come to that particular bone of contention later). You expect to get what you pay for, and you do. You get a decent enough buffet breakfast, an, erm, scenic view of the local dock and its out of the centre of town (about 5 minutes and 10 Euro in a taxi). It's clean, staff are good and it has all the expected ameneties. Rooms are an adequate size and are set at a temperature which some might find a little high.
Yep, what you're thinking is right: It sounds just like thousands of mid-range hotels all across the world. And it is.

Why only a '3' then?

Simple. The 'creative' marketing that leads you to believe that they have a pool. They don't. At all. What they have is a voucher. A voucher for the local swimming baths. A swimming bath that just happens to be in the same postcode. You have to drive there from the hotel. Yep, drive. I reckon you could walk it, but it's 5 minutes at least up a very steep hill.

Once you've made the hike, you can look forward to spending your relaxation time with the local school's swimming lessons. A treat - i'm sure you'd agree. (The week we were there, there were lessons morning, afternoon and early evening every day.)

Overall then, adequate about sums it up. If you want a pool though, you're probably best off steering clear.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I very much appreciate your comments and I would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss them in more detail. I am available at your convenience on silversprings.frontoffice@moranhotels.com.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Spent three nights in the silver springs over Easter. The hotel overall feels a bit dated. Our room was much too warm but there was no temperature control in the room. Bed was comfortable and the room was adequate. In truth I think the place is a bit overpriced for the overall quality. Breakfast was fine and the bar food menu was excellent. I didn't use the restaurant.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and bar food, I am slightly disappointed about your comments in relation to temperature controls, as all our rooms have individuals radiators that can be regulated to each guest's liking, and our staff would have been deligthed to assist you with this issue. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on silversprings.frontoffice@moranhotels.com.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Silver Springs for a conference. Parking was a huge problem and I had to park at the top of a steep hill which was a problem when it came to retrieving stuff from the car. I had planned on using their leisure facilities but these were at the top of the same hill in an entirely separate block from the hotel itself. Staff were excellent and could not have been more courteous. But only a smoking room was available and this was a big problem for me. They did their best by providing air fresheners.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
I am delighted about your comments regarding the friendliness of our staff. However in relation to the difficulties you encountered with our parking facilities I wish to point out that we offer over 400 parking spaces, and it was only due to the unprecedented number of delegates attending this particular conference that lead to a shortage of parking spaces.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and I will personally ensure that a room on a non-smoking floor is allocated for you.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here July 2011. It was a mystery hotel booking for a reasonable price so i was very pleased with the accomdation.

Stylish and tidy rooms

Fantastic food in the restaurant and most excellent and helpful waiting staff in the bar also.

I didn't stay for breakfast as i was off early, but the hotel was clean and i really enjoyed my time at the bar the night before.

It is a bit of a walk from Cork centre, but a good base if you have a car. Also, car parking is free and there seemed to be plenty of it (i was right outside the front door, despite arriving late in the day during holiday period).

One thing- the hotel doesn't look too good from the outside as you drive past into cork, but give it a chance, i had a very pleasant stay here and i was pleased with the price.

Extra stars given for the lovely food and helpful and friendly waiting staff :)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo