“Great Hotel & Staff”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Recently stayed at the Maryborough Hotel. Cant speak enough of the hotel. Greeted by pleasant and friendly staff, the room was extremely comfortable and immaculately clean with a view of the beautiful gardens from the balcony, the hotel in general had a real homely feel about it.
Location wise it’s only a walk down to Douglas village where there was a nice selection of shops and bars with good nightlife, and only minutes drive form the South Link, while on the other hand. one looking to get away and relax, the Spa is available to relax unwind after a long day. All in all I will definitely be returning to the Maryborough House Hotel and would advise anyone planning a trip to Cork to stay here.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Maryborough Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 9, 2009

Beautiful place, very friendly staff. Spa treatments were fantasic,a bit pricey. Food both moring and evening was mouth watering .Manager Joe Foran went out of his way for me. Even treated to lovely bottle of red wine and a reduction on our bill, as I needed to change rooms. Its a great place for a ladies pampering weekend, or book a spa room if you plan on spending your time in bed, resting or playing!! Just park up your car and get the treamtents you desire until you have to depart.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My wife and i spent a night in the maryborough hotel to celebrate the night we met 20 years ago.We needed a relaxing break after the last few hectic months.The moment we set foot inside the marvellous 18th century reception area we knew we wouldn't be dissapointed.We received a warm welcome from the friendly and helpful check-in staff and we we're allocated a lovely room on the second floor.
Our room was a nice size,very clean and with all amenities.We had a balcony overlooking the beautifully manicured gardens.We sat for an hour,chatted and sipped a couple of glasses of wine while marvelling at the huge trees which bordered the wonderful flowers and shrubs.Some of them must have been hundreds of years old.
After a while we headed down to the thermal suites for some relaxation.We had to split up as men and women have seperate areas.I spent a leisurly hour unwinding in the sauna,steam room and hydro pool whilst listening to the soothing sound of falling water.I didn't want to leave but it was time for dinner.
We had a lovely meal in the bar area as the main restaurant was closed.The bar area has a lovely warm atmosphere with a large open plan seating area surrounding the sunken bar.We finished off a wonderful evening over a couple of drinks.
In the morning we had a nice buffet breakfast.My wife ordered a freshly cooked omlette and I went for the full Irish.As the spa was fully booked up on the previous evening,I couldn't let my wife go home without a little indulgenge.She went for a manicure with hot stones and loved it.
All in all we had a wonderful stay at the maryborough house hotel.It was too short of course.We didn't have far to travel to find this oasis of tranquillity but the downside is we got back to reality very quickly.We'll definately be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2009

very nice hotel and well placed for Cork. Staff v.friendly. Used the Espa spa which was v.good, although some of the facilties werent working - lifestyle shower and and lights in sauna werent working.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2009

spent a relaxing weekend at the maryborough. room was great with a nice view out to the garden from the balcony. staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The overall impression of the Maryborough is "grandeur" itself,but once you get inside you find a very homely and elegant hotel with very friendly staff.The gardens alone are worth staying for! Both myself and my partner come from Cork and we stay in the Maryborough when we return.The location is perfect for catching up with friends and family, as the hotel has an extremely airy bar and seating area that offers both privacy and convenience. ,or if we feel like a spin to west Cork its only a 5 min drive to the South Link road. The restaurant is excellent,every taste is catered for.If we feel like a night away from the hotel Douglas village is only 5 mins away with a great selection of bars and nightlife.
All in all the Maryborough is our number 1 choice for comfort,relaxation, and location.Don't forget to try the spa,you won't want to leave..

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2009

There is a room service menu in the room and this service is supposedly available 24 hours a day. I called reception at about 10pm at night to order a snack, they forwarded my call to the bar where they seemed to not know what I was talking about. The person at the bar asked a manager who said that no room service was available. The kitchen closes at 10pm I was told. So why then bother to provide a room service menu or to advertise the 24 hour availability? Moreover I heard a loud knock on the door of a neighbouring bedroom at about 1am with someone announcing that it was "room service". So if another guest can get room service, why not every guest?

Second issue was that I expressly asked for a taxi for the next morning with a credit card facility. The driver insisted on cash stating that he had turned off the credit card machine since the hotel never advised that a credit card facility was required.
I've stayed at this hotel maybe twice before and I've never liked it. The layout is awkward and while it is fairly well presented, there is nonetheless something "cheap" about the decor and the experience. Anyway I've stayed my last night there and won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business