“The epitome of relaxation in a fantastic location.”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Offaly
“The epitome of relaxation in a fantastic location.”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The overall impression of the Maryborough is "grandeur" itself,but once you get inside you find a very homely and elegant hotel with very friendly staff.The gardens alone are worth staying for! Both myself and my partner come from Cork and we stay in the Maryborough when we return.The location is perfect for catching up with friends and family, as the hotel has an extremely airy bar and seating area that offers both privacy and convenience. ,or if we feel like a spin to west Cork its only a 5 min drive to the South Link road. The restaurant is excellent,every taste is catered for.If we feel like a night away from the hotel Douglas village is only 5 mins away with a great selection of bars and nightlife.
All in all the Maryborough is our number 1 choice for comfort,relaxation, and location.Don't forget to try the spa,you won't want to leave..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2009

There is a room service menu in the room and this service is supposedly available 24 hours a day. I called reception at about 10pm at night to order a snack, they forwarded my call to the bar where they seemed to not know what I was talking about. The person at the bar asked a manager who said that no room service was available. The kitchen closes at 10pm I was told. So why then bother to provide a room service menu or to advertise the 24 hour availability? Moreover I heard a loud knock on the door of a neighbouring bedroom at about 1am with someone announcing that it was "room service". So if another guest can get room service, why not every guest?

Second issue was that I expressly asked for a taxi for the next morning with a credit card facility. The driver insisted on cash stating that he had turned off the credit card machine since the hotel never advised that a credit card facility was required.
I've stayed at this hotel maybe twice before and I've never liked it. The layout is awkward and while it is fairly well presented, there is nonetheless something "cheap" about the decor and the experience. Anyway I've stayed my last night there and won't be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed here on our honeymoon and the staff was so helpful with everything from dinner suggestions, internet access, and chyanging our plans for the remainder of our trip. We loved it and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Stayed here for a family weekend. My parents were celebrating their birthday and the restaurant staff could not have been more friendly, even organised a free birthday cake. The spa rooms are a little on the small side, the bath is in the middle of the floor and there is not much room for toiletries. The spa itself was really good, ESPA is one of the best. If there was any negatives at all it was with the checkout staff, they really need to learn how to smile - and say thank you! The hotel is rated four star but is in need of a renovation, carpets and furniture are a bit the worse for wear.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Waterford
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We recently stayed at the Maryborough as guests at a wedding and it was one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. Once we arrived we were greeted by pleasant and friendly staff and the little guestures, like the welcome drink, sum up the atmosphere of the hotel. Beautiful surroundings and efficent service topped off a lovely stay in the Maryborough and I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I recently stayed in Maryborough for 2 nights with my husband and 2 young children - a 2 year old and 2 month ol infant. We had a really relaxing time and found the hotel and staff welcoming and obliging. The babies loved the pool which was balmy. The food was lovely. Although we had a quiet time it was so relaxing. The grounds were great for the little fella to run around and we were obliged with cots, fridge and late check out without difficulty. Would recommend for a low key relaxing time

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Dublin
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Had such a stressful week at work and was not really in the mood to do anything. My Boyfriend booked us in as a surprise and I must say I am so happy he did. Once we walked through the main door we were greeted by a very friendly and smiling professional receptionist who offered us a wonderful welcome drink. After our quick check-in we were given a guided tour of the hotel and shown to our rooms. We were offered use of the spa facilities during our stay but were advised to book in advance which I am delighted we took them up on and booked in straight away. The girls in the Spa were just as helpful as the main reception team and made us feel very comfortable and after 45mins of taking a break we felt totally relaxed and refreshed. We headed straight to the bar to grab some lunch and a few cocktails (which I must mention the food was fantastic and reasonably priced). We took a stroll down to Douglas village where there was a nice selection of shops and bars. Later on we went to Zings restaurant for dinner . The service was just as good as we had experienced from the moment we steped through the front door. Our meal was very tasty and the cheesecakes was to die for, I asked the waitress if I could get the recipe (I was guessing they would say no) but was delighted when it was delivered to my room.

I must say it really was a wonderful trip and a fantastic experience its just such a shame it had to come to an end But I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple