“gorgeous hotel”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed May 13, 2008

i attending a wedding there recently. its a really gorgeous hotel, beautiful gardens and it has the most friendly staff i've come across in ages.

i stayed in a spa room which was really nice, its very peaceful but a bit of a trek from the main reception though. the bathroom was a little impractical, joint shower/bath and when using the shower, the water tended to come out over the bath and flood the floor. on a plus note though good power hairdryers for once!
also just to note that there is no full length mirror in the actual room, the only one is in the bathroom against the bath, kind of strange..

brekkie was yummy, great choice. the food in zings was amazing, the desserts are out of this world...

i didn't get a chance to use the spa, it looked lovely though,

i will definately be back

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,138)

Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed recently for two nights for a wedding. A very nice setting and reception area but a dated and unkept annex let the whole place down. In order to get to our room we had to walk through a crowded bar area where another wedding was taking place. We really felt like we were intruding on the couples day.

The room was tidy and clean but dated, with worn carpets and a bathroom with many signs of repair and damage. It would appear that some of the other rooms facing the other direction are better and include balconies.

We had a very average meal on the first night in Zings restaurant. We felt that they chef was trying to be too fussy with the menu where simple wholesome food would have been preferable. We were woken on the Saturday morning to the sound of bottles from the wedding the night before being dumped into the refuse directly below our window. This went on for 45 minutes.

The wedding itself was a great success and we didn't use the spa so can't comment on that. The experience also wasn't cheap. For the money that we paid we would have expected a far better experience than this.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I have Stayed in this hotel over the last few years on numerous occasions and I find some of the previous reviews to be a bit baffling. My partner and I always find the rooms to be clean and comfortable and always well kept. The service is always very good from the girls at the desk to the staff in the restaurant and bar. They have a leisure centre and spa (what a spa even a relaxation pool and area for us poor men to have peace) The bar area is comfortable and relaxing and there is always a good atmosphere in the bar on the weekend with some music playing. Food and service is good. We will be back again and again.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I spent Valentine's day this year at the Maryborough Hotel, which is located in Douglas.
Bliss, beauty and by far one of the lovelist hotels I've ever stayed in!
Close enough to explore Cork city, and for all those who have never visited Cork, its within easy access of Mahon Point (shops and cinema) and not too far from Fota Wildlife Park.
I had no problem parking the car, which is always a worry....as there was ample parking onsite.
I was greeted with a huge smile by the lady on the front desk, and was shown to the stairs - how attentive!
My room was one of the Executive ones, complete with balcony. I'd highly recommend as the garden views are just so blissful. Perfect on a sunny morning to enjoy breakfast.
Although I never had a chance to sample the 5 star spa, one of the other guests filled me in on her experience of the different massages and facials. Theres also a dedicated spa cafe. Pity I missed out, but il be sure to try next time.
We decided to go out for dinner, but stayed to have a pre-dinner drink at the hotel. The bar has every drink you can think of and overlooks the hotel's 300 year old gardens.
Some time after dinner, we explored the Leisure centre, which incorporates a gym, pool and jacuzzi. The pool was lovely and warm. Apon returning to our rooms, I discovered my partner had asked for drinks and cookies.
Our stay was perfect throughout and Il definately be returning for a spa treat in one of the spa suites later this year .....; )

1  Thank Christina_81
Reviewed February 27, 2008

I stayed at the Maryborough Hotel after a wedding reception on the property. When we got to our room the smell of urine from the bathroom was overwhelming. They admitted that the odor was unacceptable and sent someone to clean the bathroom. The smell was still quite noticeable after the second cleaning and I had to keep the door constantly closed. I could not determine the exact cause of the urine smell so I used the public toilets down the hall and did not shower. When I lifted a glass beside the ice bucket several bugs ran down the dresser. Several bugs were spotted crawling across the floor and one large one took up residency on the closet. I took pictures of the numerous bugs, showed them to staff and offered that they all seem to scamper to the back of the dresser so maybe they should lift it out and check and see what is behind there. The staff apologized and offered to knock $50 off of the cost of our room. I accepted after finding out that my room, booked over the phone directly with the hotel months in advance with the special discounted "wedding rate", was $50 MORE than my cousin's room which he had booked online the day before.
It is a filthy hotel. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Stayed two weeks ago. Had a wonderful long over due break. The staff really make this place so special. Enjoyed the Spa also. (First time in one, but not the last) Dinner excellent and a relaxing cocktail in the lounge after topped it all off.
All in all well worth a visit.
Hope to return soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2008

OH MY GOD.... What a hotel, the attention to detail and overall service from staff was just amazing! I stayed here for Valentines night, we had one of the most beautiful rooms i have ever stayed in. We were upgraded to a spa room when we informed the reception staff that it was our anniversary. Nothing was too much for them.
There was a glass of champagne and a single rose on our table when we went for dinner, and the service staff again congratulated us.
We will be returning to this hotel very soon!!!! FAB!