“Really sincere professional staff & beautiful hotel”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Really sincere professional staff & beautiful hotel”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was late booking a room and had rang other hotels when I remembered Maryborough woods hotel. They only had one room left which was in the old part of the hotel, I explained I was limited to a budget and rather do what other hotels do, bite off their nose to spite their face this lady had the intelligence & common sense to meet me half me and offer the room to me at an agreeable rate. From the minute I arrived the experience was absolutely exceptional. The staff were sincere, one encounters quite a lot of insincere hotel staff to know the difference, courteous and extremely affable. The room was spectacular, old world with big beams in the ceiling, the bed was like a bed of velvet, complimentary wine, stunning furnishings, could not find fault. I have stayed in the modern part of the hotel before and it is also lovely but in a different way. In the old part of the hotel there is no lift, the original sandstone staircase which made the stay even more authentic. I went to the gym, staff very courteous & then attended an aerobics class with a lovely, professional French lady. I got bar food which I could fault nor the bar staff in attendance which is usually one of my gripes. Overall a fantastic experience & I would strongly recommend this hotel for a special get away break, business stay and for a special treat:-)

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the old part of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank loco7_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I travel a lot on business both in Ireland and mainland Europe. As Cork is not my home town and our offices are located there , I stay at the Maryborough on average two nights a week. This is a real home from home for me. I stay at a lot of hotels but as yet have not managed to find a hotel with such high standards and friendly staff as the Maryborough. It has the class and feel of a 5 star hotel but the personal touch of a small family run hotel. Fantastic facilities such as a great gym and spa and the new restaurant is just great. The sea bass is to die for !! Nothing is a problem for all the staff and they are always there to please. To sum up , great facilities , great bar and restaurant , great surroundings , great rooms , great staff , GREAT HOTEL !!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Niall N
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I go to a black tie function in Cork each year. Although its held in another hotel we always stay in the Maryborough for a few reasons. The staff are absolutely lovely, they do great weekend deals which include one meal in and their food is quite good, they are well located in secluded area in old world charm, if you upgrade to a deluxe you can use their thermal suite free of charge and that lovely too. all in all its a weekend we look forward to each year as much for being able to wind down among staff that feel like friends. their masseurs and range of treatments are also very worth while if you want the full wind down. Small issue i have is its always rugby international weekend and there is no decent place to watch the match as the hotel bar is a bit of an afterthought. Otherwise it would be a 5.

Room Tip: A deal with a deluxe room and meal thrown in.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris R
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We booked this venue to celebrate wedding anniversary, spoiling ourselves booking spa room, paying extra for jacuzzi. It was pricey! book in 2, though told welcome 1 to use spa thermal suite, arrived half 1. Very friendly girl on reception checked for our room to be ready which it was. But it was a freezing day, snowing, and no heating, we were told it comes on at 4pm, which I thought strange for a 4 star luxury hotel, still, we figured if we go to use thermal suite, room be warm when we her back. At thermal suite we discovered male and female use separate areas, it would have been nice to have known this while initially booking, after all it was our anniversary, anyway thermal suites very nice and being a Monday, nice and quiet, which is good as they are small.
4.30 back to room, still freezing, could not find a remote control for TV and could get no WiFi, husband unhappy as water barely tepid and he said if he had to boil kettle to shave he might as well be home!
Called for assistance, young lad could not fix things so duty manager came, he appeared defensive and tried to persuade us tepid water was hot, what about heating, says I?!
When it eventually came on he promised he would keep it on constant, so husband happy with room warm, all night I could not sleep due to heat, had air conditioning on all night, cannot open window in spa rooms, in fairness we had been told this on booking , we were told some found the rooms claustrophobic, I didn't think it would be a problem, but my hot flushes all night meant I quite uncomfortable.
Anyway, meal that evening lovely, couldn't,t fault it and we got a very nice complimentary bottle of wine to make up for our cold initial experience.staff friendly and nice banter.at end meal we got nice surprise of chocolate covered strawberries with happy anniversary written in white chocolate, and a bottle of Prosseco, very sweet touch, at this stage we met up with other duty manager who had been in room testing water, he had not impressed us at time, but now we all friends, which was nice, I do hate complaining, but we did have high expectations, and felt rightfully so.
Used pool in morning, lovely and quiet, nice for swimming lengths, steam room and sauna and jacuzzi.
Breakfast till 10, just made it, very nice food, I had eggs Benedict and hubby full fry etc.
In summary we thought the hotel might be posh/snobby, but it was most welcoming and friendly, just a shame about cost cutting on the heating,if that is what it was?perhaps it was also due to type of room it was, but all the more reason for the heating. I know we in a recession, but you want to be cosy and warm in March in Ireland!
We personally thanked duty manager when leaving and did leave as happy guests.

Room Tip: Room 51 right beside door and near elevator, but not noisy like I feared.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was very impressed when i walked into this hotel.
The reception area was very cosy we were met by a friendly receptionist very swift check in and we were offered a warm drink complimentary which was a lovely touch.
The room was a good size it was nice and clean with a nice bathroom and great shower.
The bar had a nice atmosphere the staff were friendly and we had dinner in the restaurant which was very tasty.The spa was excellent.

The only downside is that i did not sleep for the two nights that i stayed in the hotel.
The room temperature was roasting we even turned off the radiators but it did not help and the beds were not comfortable very small single beds.

Overall it is a lovely hotel with excellent staff and great facilities but would not stay here again as i came to the hotel to have a relaxing break and left exhausted due to lack of sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Laois.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Reception & check in:
Very prompt, welcoming and helpful

Room:
Very spacious and had a lot of personal touches; welcome message on the television etc. Bed was two single beds put together but that was fine. Linen and furnishings were lovely and comfortable. Bathroom was modern, clean and had everything we needed. Bathrobes and slippers were provided too. As was an iron and ironing board, tea/coffee. The information booklet in the room was great. View of the spa and trees surrounding.
The room however was really hot when we arrived, but we turned off the radiator so all was sorted!

Restaurant:
We had some light bites after check in. I had the soup which was gorgeous, so filling and the bread was lovely too. My partner had the mini burgers which he said were very tasty.

Breakfast- we had a slight problem with the sausages (they were terrible!) but this problem was rectified by the next morning. We chatted to the manager who was on that morning and he came back to us with an explanation about suppliers etc. The breakfast (apart from that) was fantastic. A huge array of cold foods, smoothies, cheese, eggs, cereals, juices, salmon.. Also a hot breakfast menu where we could choose from full Irish, crepes, omelettes. The variety was amazing. The pancakes were so tasty. Top notch breakfast.

Dinner- as part of our package (Supervalu breaks) we got to have a meal on one night. The food again was delicious, there was a huge variety. There was a slight mix up with the bill which was easily sorted.

Staff- we found all of the staff to be warm and friendly. They were genuinely interested in having a chat, especially in the bar in the night! Paul the barman (I think) and a staff member in the leisure club (a young man with short hair?) deserve a special mention.

Location- easy to get to only about 10 minutes from Cork city. It was a great base to stay to get to go to Cobh, Cork city. The only thing is the car park to the left is on a bit of a slant so be careful but this only makes the Hotel stand out even more. Also if it is raining the steps up to the hotel get slippy so bí curamach.

Decor- my favourite colour is purple so of course I am in love with the decor in numerous places around the hotel.

Spa & leisure club- did not want to leave! Such a relaxing place, I could have spent all day chilling out and swimming around. The staff were very helpful (they saw me looking very lost) and guided me to the spa. The changing area was very modern equipped with everything you need after your swim or spa treatments.

General- great location, friendly staff, delicious food, relaxing spa & leisure club. Also the hotel was very busy for midweek which is always a great sign.

Would recommend and stay again!

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Staff were lovely
Hotel was lovely
Spa was fantastic
Only fault was the restaurant, it wasn't the same standards, more like a 3* restaurant in a 4* hotel with a 5* spa.
I would definitely go back again but I'd eat somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013