“Just what you need!!!”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Just what you need!!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We recently stayed in the Maryborough Hotel and Spa.On arrival there was quite a bit of noise in the room next to us and on request the receptionist moved us straight away to a Spa Room which was very impressive. Having breakfast and dinner included in our stay was great and the food served in the restaurant was exceptional. The most enjoyable and commendable part of this experience was the Spa. The thermal suites and relaxation rooms were amazing. A special mention to be given to Amanda who was my massage therapist. She was beyond friendly and very good at her job, I was completely relaxed :) Thank you to all at the Maryborough for a great weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We enjoyed a great stay at the Maryborough House Hotel recently... The staff from the front desk, to the bar and restaurant were all so nice, welcoming and professional. Our room was fantastic overlooking the gardens. The leisure facilites are excellent, you can while away the hours just relaxing the day away. Just to note that the relaxing suites are not mixed which is a pity. Also there is no entertainment in the hotel in the evening which makes for a very quiet evening. Dining at the hotel is a great experience too. The food in Bellinis Restaurant is excellent with a wide range of choice. Breakfast was such a treat with so many choices from hot food to the buffet table. We had such a lovely stay it was hard to leave. I would definitely recommend a stay.

1 Thank Hollyberry09
Tralee, Co. Kerry
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here in 2011, and loved it so we were delighted to receive a Christmas gift of a night here from my parents.
It was part of a grabone deal, so included prosecco in room, an evening meal and breakfast. All this perfectly fine, lovely Prosecco, meal was very good in their newly refurbished restaurant and breakfast lovely too. I was however a bit disappointed with the room. We seemed to have a 'family' linked room, which had a door in it that went into the room next door. Obviously this was locked, but we could hear everything....their tv, very loud snoring & tv again very early in morning! There also was no spare blankets or pillows in the wardrobe, which usually there are in hotels and the pillows in the bed weren't very comfortable, and blanket very thin. I know we could have rang reception for more, but it was warm in room when we went to bed, so we thought it would be ok, but woke cold in middle of night.
Otherwise we enjoyed our short stay!

1 Thank MsFABP
County Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This review relates to a girls' weekend get together. The hotel was chosen because of its location which was convenient for each of the four attendees and because this writer had stayed here before and enjoyed the stay. It is a hotel in an urban environment and yet on a very secluded site.

Check in was a pleasant process and we were soon in the lounge for a cocktail.

We dined in Bellini's Restaurant on one evening and in Bellini's Bar on the other evening. We found the food good in both venues and the restaurant had a good choice. The bar menu was more restricted but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The service was very good and staff were very friendly. The dining in both venues is very informal. The restaurant was very busy with groups and there were two hen parties in the dining room when we were there. But the staff were well able to cope with the large numbers.

Breakfast was part buffet style with hot dishes from the menu served to the table. There was good choice and everyone enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. There was no queuing or rushing despite the number of guests involved. Staff were attentive and friendly at all times..

There was no entertainment on either evening. Although this did not bother us it may be worthy of note for others.

There were four adults in the party and we had two deluxe rooms which fulfilled our needs adequately. The rooms were on the ground floor and each had a nice decking outdoor area with a table and seating. This facility would be good in summer for relaxation or of course as a smoking area. The rooms were comfortable.

Three of the party enjoyed some relaxation time in the spa and the Thermal Suites which have a Vitality Pool, Lifestyle Showers, Laconium, Saunarium, Ice Fountain and Heated Lounges. Everything was supplied including robes, slippers, shpwer gels, shampoos etc (which is not case in some hotel spas nowadays). This facility was the primary attraction that determined the choice of hotel for this female get together.

There was plenty of seating in the public areas of the hotel whether one wanted a quiet read or a private chat or a more sociable event such as watching the Irish rugby team on a large TV in the bar area.

All in all this was a good stay for each of us and the hotel served its purpose admirably. We will return again in the future for another catch up.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Coolnacarrick
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel we found it difficult to access reception as a wedding party seemed to have arrived shortly before and a large group were in the reception area.However when we did get to the desk we were dealt with promptly and directed to our room. Our room was of a standard one would expect in a hotel of this standard,it overlooked the garden and had a facility to open the window onto a small balcony which I would imagine would be very pleasant weather permitting. We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was very tasty but I think the practice of pricing the different items and adding extra for sides does little for their reputation. Breakfast was of a high standard and cooked to order with a wide choice on offer and all of the staff we encountered during our visit were pleasant and attentive. Would I go back? .Yes it was a pleasant relaxing experience and one that I would like to repeat .

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked 4 rooms for friends for Cork Bridge Congress in January and we all had a really lovely weekend in the Maryborough. Reception staff were wonderfully efficient and remembered that I like a room with balcony overlookiing the garden. The table d'hote dinner menu was first-class - plenty of choice in the beautifully refurbished restaurant. Despite the large numbers, service was fast and friendly. Whovever is training the Marlbourough staff is doing a great job!

I used room service for breakfast (€8 extra) and enjoyed the hydro pool (free of charge). The pool and jacuzzi were refreshing - used by surprisingly few residents (mostly bridge players that weekend). I really cannot fault the Maryborough on any front. So treat yourself to a lovely weekend in Douglas in 2013.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor overlooking the garden are very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a very nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed the Bridge weekend. We look forward to having you return again next year!

Warm regards,

Dominic Heaney
Deputy General Manager
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

1...Firstly we arrived at 3.20pm, I was hoping to arrive at 2pm as my booking form said but to our disappointment the room was not ready and as I could see this was the case for all other arrivals at the hotel. The receptionist proceeded to tell me they had a very busy night the previous night and some room cleaner had rang in sick but I do not think this is a good enough excuse..

2..There was prosecco and chocolate dipped strawberries included in our package were not in the room when we arrived - yet another let down ! when I called reception they said they would send it up immediately , we proceeded to got to the spa and two hours later when we returned it still wasn't there and I had to call reception again.
This and the dinner included in the package was what lured me into purchasing the deal but when it was not there it did not look good ..

3.We had booked a spa room with jacuzzi but much to my disappointment when I used the jacuzzi for the fist time when the water had drained brown dusty residue was left much to my horror which discouraged us from using it again ( please see pictures attached to back up what I'm saying) also a leak stain on the roof (again please see attached photo for evidence)

4..We were in room 055 there were 2 cracks on the wall and one large stain this is not what I expect when I had to pay a 50 euro supplement

5..The breakfast room service door hanger was on the bed with the name McGuiness on it from the previous people .! again I had to call reception for a blank one, so we filled out what we would like and hung it out before we went for dinner at 7pm, when we came back to the room at 9.30pm it was take n from the door we had ticked that we wanted it delivered between 10.00-10.30 am but no breakfast arrived ??? I rang reception and they transferred me to the restaurant where the girl told me if it was taken it must have gotten lost ??? This is clearly not good enough !! in a so- called luxury 4 star establishment ??? It was 11.30 when breakfast arrived which gave us very little time before checking out !!

6.Also the room got very stuffy when shower was in use because of lack of ventilation, only for roof window (which was so dirty with green mossy growth ) room felt very claustrophobic ..

7..The shower/wet room with no would not drain, leading to a flooded bathroom which happened to be TINY !! ( this would work better if it had a glass door perhaps !

Room Tip: avoid spa rooms as they are miles away from everything
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to read that you did not have a satisfactory stay in our hotel. We have discussed, at length, the issues that you raised and hope to have rectified these problems.

Warm regards,