“Back Again!!”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
wexford
“Back Again!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My Husband & I spent another wonderful night in Maryborough last week, and it is fair to say nothing has changed!! It is still one of the BEST hotels I have ever stayed in, and believe me, as I travelled for work that has been a lot of hotels.Everything is exceptional in this Hotel from the friendly and helpfull staff to the food and the rooms.
When we were there the Restaurant was having a refit, but apart from knowing it was happening there was no disruption to the quality of food or service either in The Restaurant or Bar..
I cannot wait to get back to see what it all looks like when it is finished!!
Many Thanks to all especially Carmel in Reservations for all her help with an upcoming Ladies weekend in The New Year.... Oh and welcome back to Sarah!!!

Room Tip: It is easy to pick a good room in this Hotel as they are all of a very high Standard, but my favouri...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanWexford
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a nice review. I am glad to be able to pass on the nice comments to both Carmel and Sarah. Now that the new restaurant is open, we would love for you to return and see the finished product. It is always well appreciated to get return guest compliments, so thank you once again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Lodi, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had no expectations when we booked this stay but what we found was beyond ANY of our wildest dreams. Our suite was unexplainable. There are some pictures but if you can - book it for yourself and you'll see what I mean. With the exception of one stand-offish receptionist who greeted us on arrival, the staff was so friendly from the other receptionists to the bartenders, porters, waiters and the like. The food? AWESOME. I had one of the best pork dishes ever and our breakfast in the morning was delicious. It's not too far from the center of town and we will be staying again when we go back to Ireland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

All we can say is WOW also after your very nice comments. I am really happy that you went to the trouble of not only writing a review but also posting some photos up of your room. Thank you so much as we love to see our customers leaving with the WOW factor !!!

Ireland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arranged a meeting with a business colleague at the Maryborough hotel. I believed the establishment to be of reputable standards. When I walked in the door I my first impression was that I would be kept waiting as three members of staff were on phones in reception, and another was rummaging through paperwork while a line of about 6 people were waiting to be seen to. I asked a member of staff, whom, I believed to be free as she had stopped talking on the phone, where a certain area in the hotel was, she started another phone conversation and then just pointed to a door with a not very pleasant tone.
When eventually found where I was going (I did have to ask another member of staff, who was helpful) I sat down to eat with only to hear very loud sounds of electrical tools coming from directly overhead. These went on intermittently throughout the meal. I understand that work needs to take place, but surely this room was not being used for dinners throughout the entire day, and perhaps work could have been timed more appropriately.
On the other hand, the food was nice and the staff in the restaurant were friendly.
This was my first visit to this hotel and I'm not sure if I will return or would recommend. More for the initial 'welcome' at reception rather than the works being carried out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. On this occasion, we have come out very badly and for this I am very disappointed. Normally our welcome is of a very friendly and efficient manner so we will be discussing this matter some more within the Front Office department. I am glad to say that the building work has finished and the result is a beautiful new restaurant. We did try to keep the intrusion to a limit during this time. I would love for you to return some day so that you could see for yourself that what you experienced is not always the case in The Maryborough Hotel. Should you wish to discuss the matter more, please contact me at dheaney@maryborough.ie

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this hotel to celebrate my 50th birthday with my sisters and friends. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff were friendly and attentive. Our dinner in the restaurant was 1st class and our whole break was great success

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Judith_flood

Thank you for your kind review. Again Happy Birthday. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the royal treatment, after all it's not every day that you hit the big 50. We would love to see you return again soon. Thank you for sharing your special moment with us

Tipperary
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Maryborough while attending a local conference, I have to say I was very impressed overall. A lovely period building meets a modern hotel & spa, I couldn't quite get over the scale of it, it certainly doesn't look as big from the front. The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful, the food was excellent and even though there was a wedding on the same night, it didn't interfere with our enjoyment in any way.

I am knocking one star in this review because our room was overly modern and impractical, no mirror over bathroom sink, very difficult to get into shower and a picture on the ceiling over the bed were just some of the items I will mention. It didn't bother me too much but I would have preferred a standard room.

Overall, great stay, would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a standard room, the modern wing of the hotel have bedrooms that are just impractical.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear jfgleeson

Thank you for a nice review on Trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you were impressed with The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that you did not however like the Spa room. Next time, I would recommend a garden facing room over looking the beautiful gardens. We welcome your return.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Maryborough Hotel in Cork. From the moment I arrived until my departure, I felt welcomed and relaxed. Jenny on reception is an absolute bonus for any hotel. She was welcoming, friendly, competent and helpful. My room was large and very comfortable and was complete with a fresh large bottle of water each day, something many hotels don't offer. I had room service which was tasty and reasonable. I was lucky to be seated at the same table for breakfast each morning as the lady (of a more mature vintage!) who looked after the table was a joy. In fact, the staff could not have been nicer. The food at breakfast was great, loads of choice, cooked breakfast was cooked as required unlike other hotels where it is often sitting getting dried up in a warming container. The only minus was that I could not stay for longer! I look forward to being able to stay there again sometime in the future and would thoroughly recommend the Maryborough Hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor overlooking the garden and it was quiet and restful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Deise1944
Dear Deise1944

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be very happy to pass on your nice comments about Jenny & Kitty. They, like all of our staff are our greatest assets. We pride ourselves in looking after our customers.

Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having had a short break in the Maryborough I would happily return. The hotel is nicely located on the outskirts of Cork city in the leafy suburbs, but within a few minutes drive of a lot of amenities if you actually felt like leaving the comfort of the surroundings on site. On arrival reception looks extremely dated but I believe work is underway on some aspects of the hotel at the moment. This however does not remotely detract from the newer part of a beautiful facility. The room was warm and comfortable, nice bathroom too. There is a plentiful supply of free to view tv channels in the room also. The bar area has luxurious leather couches that make people watching over a nice beverage a treat. Special mention goes to the barmen, who couldn't have been more personable and helpful. The leisure facility and spa were lovely, the thermal spa room is highly recommended. If there is one criticism it lies in the restaurant dinner menu which was a tad pretentious and reads like an episode of Masterchef. It would be great to see some staples on it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Irishness,

Thank you for a very nice review on trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As per your comment on the restaurant menu, Brendan, our restaurant chef is indeed 'masterchef' quality. He takes great pride in writing the best menu that he can with the best ingredients available. Should you ever need to suggest an alternative dish to what's on the menu, I'm sure that he would be happy to oblige.
We have now opened up our new restaurant , Bellini's and it is a great success, please call back again sometime soon.