“Unpleasant and inattentive Staff in a construction site.”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arranged a meeting with a business colleague at the Maryborough hotel. I believed the establishment to be of reputable standards. When I walked in the door I my first impression was that I would be kept waiting as three members of staff were on phones in reception, and another was rummaging through paperwork while a line of about 6 people were waiting to be seen to. I asked a member of staff, whom, I believed to be free as she had stopped talking on the phone, where a certain area in the hotel was, she started another phone conversation and then just pointed to a door with a not very pleasant tone.
When eventually found where I was going (I did have to ask another member of staff, who was helpful) I sat down to eat with only to hear very loud sounds of electrical tools coming from directly overhead. These went on intermittently throughout the meal. I understand that work needs to take place, but surely this room was not being used for dinners throughout the entire day, and perhaps work could have been timed more appropriately.
On the other hand, the food was nice and the staff in the restaurant were friendly.
This was my first visit to this hotel and I'm not sure if I will return or would recommend. More for the initial 'welcome' at reception rather than the works being carried out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. On this occasion, we have come out very badly and for this I am very disappointed. Normally our welcome is of a very friendly and efficient manner so we will be discussing this matter some more within the Front Office department. I am glad to say that the building work has finished and the result is a beautiful new restaurant. We did try to keep the intrusion to a limit during this time. I would love for you to return some day so that you could see for yourself that what you experienced is not always the case in The Maryborough Hotel. Should you wish to discuss the matter more, please contact me at dheaney@maryborough.ie

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,089)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this hotel to celebrate my 50th birthday with my sisters and friends. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff were friendly and attentive. Our dinner in the restaurant was 1st class and our whole break was great success

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Judith_flood

Thank you for your kind review. Again Happy Birthday. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the royal treatment, after all it's not every day that you hit the big 50. We would love to see you return again soon. Thank you for sharing your special moment with us

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Maryborough while attending a local conference, I have to say I was very impressed overall. A lovely period building meets a modern hotel & spa, I couldn't quite get over the scale of it, it certainly doesn't look as big from the front. The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful, the food was excellent and even though there was a wedding on the same night, it didn't interfere with our enjoyment in any way.

I am knocking one star in this review because our room was overly modern and impractical, no mirror over bathroom sink, very difficult to get into shower and a picture on the ceiling over the bed were just some of the items I will mention. It didn't bother me too much but I would have preferred a standard room.

Overall, great stay, would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a standard room, the modern wing of the hotel have bedrooms that are just impractical.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear jfgleeson

Thank you for a nice review on Trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you were impressed with The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that you did not however like the Spa room. Next time, I would recommend a garden facing room over looking the beautiful gardens. We welcome your return.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Maryborough Hotel in Cork. From the moment I arrived until my departure, I felt welcomed and relaxed. Jenny on reception is an absolute bonus for any hotel. She was welcoming, friendly, competent and helpful. My room was large and very comfortable and was complete with a fresh large bottle of water each day, something many hotels don't offer. I had room service which was tasty and reasonable. I was lucky to be seated at the same table for breakfast each morning as the lady (of a more mature vintage!) who looked after the table was a joy. In fact, the staff could not have been nicer. The food at breakfast was great, loads of choice, cooked breakfast was cooked as required unlike other hotels where it is often sitting getting dried up in a warming container. The only minus was that I could not stay for longer! I look forward to being able to stay there again sometime in the future and would thoroughly recommend the Maryborough Hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor overlooking the garden and it was quiet and restful.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Deise1944

Dear Deise1944

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be very happy to pass on your nice comments about Jenny & Kitty. They, like all of our staff are our greatest assets. We pride ourselves in looking after our customers.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having had a short break in the Maryborough I would happily return. The hotel is nicely located on the outskirts of Cork city in the leafy suburbs, but within a few minutes drive of a lot of amenities if you actually felt like leaving the comfort of the surroundings on site. On arrival reception looks extremely dated but I believe work is underway on some aspects of the hotel at the moment. This however does not remotely detract from the newer part of a beautiful facility. The room was warm and comfortable, nice bathroom too. There is a plentiful supply of free to view tv channels in the room also. The bar area has luxurious leather couches that make people watching over a nice beverage a treat. Special mention goes to the barmen, who couldn't have been more personable and helpful. The leisure facility and spa were lovely, the thermal spa room is highly recommended. If there is one criticism it lies in the restaurant dinner menu which was a tad pretentious and reads like an episode of Masterchef. It would be great to see some staples on it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Irishness,

Thank you for a very nice review on trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As per your comment on the restaurant menu, Brendan, our restaurant chef is indeed 'masterchef' quality. He takes great pride in writing the best menu that he can with the best ingredients available. Should you ever need to suggest an alternative dish to what's on the menu, I'm sure that he would be happy to oblige.
We have now opened up our new restaurant , Bellini's and it is a great success, please call back again sometime soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were so pleased we stayed here. The staff were outstandingly polite, helpful and friendly. It was a treat to find the bottles of wine in our room on arrival were complimentary. (Having been ripped off by mini bar prices elsewhere). We particularly enjoyed the spa and the provision of robes and slippers in the room was welcome. The room was very well appointed and had a good quality digital safe. Our meals were excellent and at breakfast there was a good choice including cheeses, fresh fruit and traditional hot meals. Bar prices were reasonable for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Philip1516

Thank you for your very nice review on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy to read your nice comments about our hotel. With great pleasure I will be passing on your nice comments to our staff.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Where do you start? The spa rooms are incredible - romantic, elegant, relaxing; the conference facilities where I was presenting training are excellent; the bar/ restaurant are lovely (could do with nibbles behind the bar & do the eggs benny on a muffin please!!!); the gym is excellent.
Comfortable, professional but with my wife here it also was very romantic
Cheers
Kevin

• Stayed: October 2012
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. We have noted your recommendations on the eggs benny! Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you soon at The Maryborough!!