“Lovely hotel set on mature grounds”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Tipperary
“Lovely hotel set on mature grounds”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Maryborough while attending a local conference, I have to say I was very impressed overall. A lovely period building meets a modern hotel & spa, I couldn't quite get over the scale of it, it certainly doesn't look as big from the front. The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful, the food was excellent and even though there was a wedding on the same night, it didn't interfere with our enjoyment in any way.

I am knocking one star in this review because our room was overly modern and impractical, no mirror over bathroom sink, very difficult to get into shower and a picture on the ceiling over the bed were just some of the items I will mention. It didn't bother me too much but I would have preferred a standard room.

Overall, great stay, would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a standard room, the modern wing of the hotel have bedrooms that are just impractical.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear jfgleeson

Thank you for a nice review on Trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you were impressed with The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that you did not however like the Spa room. Next time, I would recommend a garden facing room over looking the beautiful gardens. We welcome your return.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Maryborough Hotel in Cork. From the moment I arrived until my departure, I felt welcomed and relaxed. Jenny on reception is an absolute bonus for any hotel. She was welcoming, friendly, competent and helpful. My room was large and very comfortable and was complete with a fresh large bottle of water each day, something many hotels don't offer. I had room service which was tasty and reasonable. I was lucky to be seated at the same table for breakfast each morning as the lady (of a more mature vintage!) who looked after the table was a joy. In fact, the staff could not have been nicer. The food at breakfast was great, loads of choice, cooked breakfast was cooked as required unlike other hotels where it is often sitting getting dried up in a warming container. The only minus was that I could not stay for longer! I look forward to being able to stay there again sometime in the future and would thoroughly recommend the Maryborough Hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor overlooking the garden and it was quiet and restful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Deise1944
Dear Deise1944

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be very happy to pass on your nice comments about Jenny & Kitty. They, like all of our staff are our greatest assets. We pride ourselves in looking after our customers.

Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having had a short break in the Maryborough I would happily return. The hotel is nicely located on the outskirts of Cork city in the leafy suburbs, but within a few minutes drive of a lot of amenities if you actually felt like leaving the comfort of the surroundings on site. On arrival reception looks extremely dated but I believe work is underway on some aspects of the hotel at the moment. This however does not remotely detract from the newer part of a beautiful facility. The room was warm and comfortable, nice bathroom too. There is a plentiful supply of free to view tv channels in the room also. The bar area has luxurious leather couches that make people watching over a nice beverage a treat. Special mention goes to the barmen, who couldn't have been more personable and helpful. The leisure facility and spa were lovely, the thermal spa room is highly recommended. If there is one criticism it lies in the restaurant dinner menu which was a tad pretentious and reads like an episode of Masterchef. It would be great to see some staples on it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Irishness,

Thank you for a very nice review on trip Advisor.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As per your comment on the restaurant menu, Brendan, our restaurant chef is indeed 'masterchef' quality. He takes great pride in writing the best menu that he can with the best ingredients available. Should you ever need to suggest an alternative dish to what's on the menu, I'm sure that he would be happy to oblige.
We have now opened up our new restaurant , Bellini's and it is a great success, please call back again sometime soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were so pleased we stayed here. The staff were outstandingly polite, helpful and friendly. It was a treat to find the bottles of wine in our room on arrival were complimentary. (Having been ripped off by mini bar prices elsewhere). We particularly enjoyed the spa and the provision of robes and slippers in the room was welcome. The room was very well appointed and had a good quality digital safe. Our meals were excellent and at breakfast there was a good choice including cheeses, fresh fruit and traditional hot meals. Bar prices were reasonable for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Philip1516

Thank you for your very nice review on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy to read your nice comments about our hotel. With great pleasure I will be passing on your nice comments to our staff.

Warwick, England
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Where do you start? The spa rooms are incredible - romantic, elegant, relaxing; the conference facilities where I was presenting training are excellent; the bar/ restaurant are lovely (could do with nibbles behind the bar & do the eggs benny on a muffin please!!!); the gym is excellent.
Comfortable, professional but with my wife here it also was very romantic
Cheers
Kevin

• Stayed October 2012
Dominic H, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. We have noted your recommendations on the eggs benny! Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you soon at The Maryborough!!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just back from attending a wedding. Really impressed with the hotel. We didnt realise it was so good. One complaint we had is with housekeeping staff. From 9am on they knocked three times on our door, waking us each time. Do they understand that people stay in hotels for a break? Totally ignorant of their guests needs.

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Theduke29
Dear Theduke29

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I'm really glad that you saw for yourself how lovely The Maryborough Hotel is. On the issue of housekeeping, I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed. We normally never knock on a door prior to noon if a 'Do not disturb' sign is on the door. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Maryborough was the 3rd hotel of the 4 we stayed at in Ireland on our touring vacation and it was our least favorite. The picture on the web led us to believe it is a old country manor, and while the main entrance is the rest of the hotel is a large modern addition. The rooms are average on size but are decorated in very dark colors and neither the dressing table or bath provided enough light to try on put on make-up. Gents I know that doesn't matter to you, but ladies you know how impossible it can be to see what you're doing with little light.
On top of that our non-smoking room reeked of stale cigarette smell. We opened the outside window/door to get some fresh air only to find three cigarette butts lying on the sill. We do recognize the hotel can't stop guests who disregard the posted no-smoking signs, but the smell was hard to miss in the room and certainly the butts on the window sill were a dead give-away. The hotel can take measures to have cleaning staff report rooms left in that condition and more effort to rid the rooms of the leftover smell. We did call the front desk and they immediately sent a guy up to clean up the debris, but it was too late to freshen the room.
We were at the hotel for only one night and happy to leave.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple