“Pleasant Break”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is quite deceptive, when you arrive the exterior has a beautiful old period house look and feel, however once you walk past the reception area you are in a very modern hotel. Both my wife and myself felt that the "new" part of the hotel could have been more sympathetic to the original building. That said, our stay in the hotel was very enjoyable from an excellent breakfast to a really beautiful dinner on one of the evenings. The waitress was very helpful and made some wonderful suggestions from the menu. Rooms were nicely decorated and very clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maryborough Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed on the one-night Romantic Break....we were upgraded to a Spa Guest Room that was really nice (might need a lick of paint here and there but overall lovely) The jacuzzi was a nice addition to the room!

Our package included a four-course meal in the restaurant, could not fault this in any way was really gorgeous and service great!

Had 2 treatments in the spa which is a really lovely quite relaxing place.

Overall a lovely stay!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Maryborough. The estate is beautiful and staff were first-rate. The main, historic building is for suites only, so most guests stay in the modern addition overlooking the grounds. There are chairs and tables on the lawn, and occasionally there were people out there talking loudly quite late. That was my only complaint and does not take away from a high recommendation

Room Tip: We were on the third floor. Because of a very lively bar scene on the ground floor, those rooms are...
1  Thank MariaTer.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Receptionist that I had to deal with would need to remember that she is employed in the service industry; her skills were sorely lacking on our arrival. A simple check in turned out to be quite an ordeal. Since I dislike credit cards and don't have one, the receptionist responded at once that "we will require full payment upfront so".......... I have stayed in many hotels before ( most of them more deserving of 4 stars than this hotel ) and have never been so demanded of. I like to pay either by cash or with a direct debit card and so I told the girl, I also told her that I would not pay as she asked but that I would pay in full at the end of my three night stay. Sadly this would not be the last of my dealings with this person, suffice to say that I don't think that we would ever share a polite word if we were to meet again.

Reception staff should always remember that they are the face of an establishment and that first impressions are VERY important to a guest.

Ordered the Indian chicken curry at the bar and the chicken was uncooked ( even though it was cut quite thin ). The bar manager / supervisor was doing the rounds at each table and enquired if everything was ok?, but before I could reply he had moved on to the next table. Not good manners at all. Finally I tidied up my own plates to make room and stopped the same manager and told him that if he had waited for an answer I would have told him about the meal.

I will say that the other members of staff were very professional and well turned out, very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tokyotourist_12
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from relaxing mid week break at Maryborough house. Nestled in beautiful setting close enough to city for easy access but far enough out to feel you are secluded from city bustle.
Welcoming, hospitable and accommodating staff. Excellent breakfasts. Smoothies are delectable and hot options cooked to order. Excellent brown bread. Spa and thermal suite fabulous. Good specials on offer.
My only criticism is that the bar and restaurant menus are exactly the same which was disappointing as we had lunch on arrival & then also had dinner. More variety needed.
Other than that, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with a group of people attending a sports conference locally. Myself and one of the other girls in the group checked in earlier than the others to use the pool facilities. At check in the staff were very polite and friendly. We both had similar rooms which were very comfortable and clean. They were on the ground floor with a small patio outside. Each room had a patio though and they were only seperated by a small wooden fence so privacy wasn't really an option! I realised the tv wasn't working in my room so called reception to ask to have it looked at while I went to the pool. The pool itself was lovely as were the changing rooms and the spa area seemed very nice as well although we didn't actually avail of it.
After the pool I returned to my room to find the tv still not working so I called reception again and went ot my friends room to watch a programme we were interested in (I asked reception to contact me here to let me know what the story was but they never did).
The whole group ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely, presented well and with good service. As you would hope for in a hotel like this, the food was served to each person promptly. The bar area was very spacious and comfortablel ideal for a quiet drink after our meal.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent - cooked fresh to order which is more than I would have expected given the way a lot of hotels are going these days.
Overall it was a really lovely stay and an excellent hotel. For some people the tv issue would not bother them in the slightest but I was a little annoyed that it was never sorted out and I was never contaced about it, despite having contacted reception twice myself. I would definitely return to this hotel and would definitely recommend it. I don't think Cork offers a wide range of hotels at this standard for a city of it's size so it is reassuring to know there is a gem in there somewhere ;-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the Maryborough Hotel with 2 other couples during a short trip to Ireland. We were looking for a quiet spot and we found it here. We arrived at 10pm, later than expected and without having had dinner. The front desk said the only restaurants open nearby were Chinese food, so even though the kitchen was closing they prepared platters of sandwiches and soup for us. We were so grateful! A manager stopped by our table in the lounge to apologize that this was all they had, but it was absolutely perfect with some Murphy's and tea and warmed us up. Wonderful hospitality can really set a place apart! The lounge was always busy but never over-crowded, and of course the service was great. The spa is a wonderful oasis of relaxation and everything was very clean. The gym was small but had everything I was looking for and was never really busy. The reception desk was very helpful, making dinner reservations and calling cabs for us. The location is outside of town, so it is nice and quiet, yet easy to get to Cork or any of the small towns.