“Once I got past the receptionist I had an ok..ish stay”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Tokyo, Japan
“Once I got past the receptionist I had an ok..ish stay”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Receptionist that I had to deal with would need to remember that she is employed in the service industry; her skills were sorely lacking on our arrival. A simple check in turned out to be quite an ordeal. Since I dislike credit cards and don't have one, the receptionist responded at once that "we will require full payment upfront so".......... I have stayed in many hotels before ( most of them more deserving of 4 stars than this hotel ) and have never been so demanded of. I like to pay either by cash or with a direct debit card and so I told the girl, I also told her that I would not pay as she asked but that I would pay in full at the end of my three night stay. Sadly this would not be the last of my dealings with this person, suffice to say that I don't think that we would ever share a polite word if we were to meet again.

Reception staff should always remember that they are the face of an establishment and that first impressions are VERY important to a guest.

Ordered the Indian chicken curry at the bar and the chicken was uncooked ( even though it was cut quite thin ). The bar manager / supervisor was doing the rounds at each table and enquired if everything was ok?, but before I could reply he had moved on to the next table. Not good manners at all. Finally I tidied up my own plates to make room and stopped the same manager and told him that if he had waited for an answer I would have told him about the meal.

I will say that the other members of staff were very professional and well turned out, very friendly and professional.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tokyotourist_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from relaxing mid week break at Maryborough house. Nestled in beautiful setting close enough to city for easy access but far enough out to feel you are secluded from city bustle.
Welcoming, hospitable and accommodating staff. Excellent breakfasts. Smoothies are delectable and hot options cooked to order. Excellent brown bread. Spa and thermal suite fabulous. Good specials on offer.
My only criticism is that the bar and restaurant menus are exactly the same which was disappointing as we had lunch on arrival & then also had dinner. More variety needed.
Other than that, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Clare, Ireland
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with a group of people attending a sports conference locally. Myself and one of the other girls in the group checked in earlier than the others to use the pool facilities. At check in the staff were very polite and friendly. We both had similar rooms which were very comfortable and clean. They were on the ground floor with a small patio outside. Each room had a patio though and they were only seperated by a small wooden fence so privacy wasn't really an option! I realised the tv wasn't working in my room so called reception to ask to have it looked at while I went to the pool. The pool itself was lovely as were the changing rooms and the spa area seemed very nice as well although we didn't actually avail of it.
After the pool I returned to my room to find the tv still not working so I called reception again and went ot my friends room to watch a programme we were interested in (I asked reception to contact me here to let me know what the story was but they never did).
The whole group ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely, presented well and with good service. As you would hope for in a hotel like this, the food was served to each person promptly. The bar area was very spacious and comfortablel ideal for a quiet drink after our meal.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent - cooked fresh to order which is more than I would have expected given the way a lot of hotels are going these days.
Overall it was a really lovely stay and an excellent hotel. For some people the tv issue would not bother them in the slightest but I was a little annoyed that it was never sorted out and I was never contaced about it, despite having contacted reception twice myself. I would definitely return to this hotel and would definitely recommend it. I don't think Cork offers a wide range of hotels at this standard for a city of it's size so it is reassuring to know there is a gem in there somewhere ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the Maryborough Hotel with 2 other couples during a short trip to Ireland. We were looking for a quiet spot and we found it here. We arrived at 10pm, later than expected and without having had dinner. The front desk said the only restaurants open nearby were Chinese food, so even though the kitchen was closing they prepared platters of sandwiches and soup for us. We were so grateful! A manager stopped by our table in the lounge to apologize that this was all they had, but it was absolutely perfect with some Murphy's and tea and warmed us up. Wonderful hospitality can really set a place apart! The lounge was always busy but never over-crowded, and of course the service was great. The spa is a wonderful oasis of relaxation and everything was very clean. The gym was small but had everything I was looking for and was never really busy. The reception desk was very helpful, making dinner reservations and calling cabs for us. The location is outside of town, so it is nice and quiet, yet easy to get to Cork or any of the small towns.

Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just back from this hotel after a two night stay. We were on a package which included one dinner. Check in was fine but would not say friendly,room spacious and clean,shower was miserable and bathroom extras i.e shower caps,cotton balls did not exist,,just shower gel and shampoo not adequate in a deluxe room....! Dinner very disappointing same as bar menu and there was supplements to pay on majority of dishes.Breakfast only o.k , the black and white pudding that came with full breakfast on both mornings was raw,pancakes tasty but cold.! Restaurant was not busy at any time while we we there so no excuse ..! Spa staff very friendly and helpful,leisure centre ok but could do with a clean..Did not sleep well as room next to fire door which we could hear banging 'till the early hours also did not need a duvet as the room was like a sauna..Glad to be home for some relaxation....!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for our anniversary in september. we have decided to go for a package where strawberries in chocolate and proseco were included on arrival. We stayed two nights and had dinner and breakfast included.
The room was clean and there was enough of space in it. TV was however one of the old ones with big back. We didn't avail of spa as it was overpriced.
Over all we really enjoy our stay, the hotel was clean, the staff friendly and breakfast was good.
The biggest disappointment however was the dinner that was included in our package. From the menu most of the things were available on supplement so pretty much how of the menu was not included in the deal so it wasn't a deal aftere all. We felt that we got done there.

Essex
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Staff were lovely at reception. Room was clean, view of lovely gardens, but really a typical hotel room - no character, unlike the reception area. Complimentary mini bottle of red & white wine, which is just as well, as I couldn't drink the red (unusual!). No showcaps or emery boards etc in bathroom - just shampoo, showgel & lotion. Food was disappointing. Eggs benedict - good news eggs were poached the proper way; bad news, the toast (should be a muffin) was soggy with the water from the over cooked eggs. Dinner was OK, but nothing to get excited about. So OK, but I expected better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business