“Bit outdated in places, but not too bad”

Rochestown Park Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Bit outdated in places, but not too bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Its a typical huge conference hotel.

There are parts of this hotel that have been renovated and you need to make sure you are in this part when youre booking your room. These new rooms are quite nice and modern. beds are very comfy, bathrooms are clean with a big shower, TVs are flat.
on the other hand the rooms in the older part are bigger, but you feel like youre in some old hotel.
Same with restaurants. The breakfast is served in a one that could use some work. crappy tables, seats, crappy and smelly rug on the floor - kind of feels like an old pub.
dinner and drinks are served in the sutton bar and that (again for the most part) is much nicer.
Breakfast was ok, although the restaurant run out of beans at 9am - the reason we heard was: we are very busy this weekend. Really this was a pretty poor excuse.
Last thing to mention is the noise from the motorway which is right beside the hotel. its not too bad, but if youre looking for a super quiet night then make sure you mention that.
Overall its a bit overpriced.

What we did in Cork:
- went to the city centre. English Market is probably the biggest attraction. The city itself is nice, but there isnt much else to do, maybe shopping. There is a very good restaurant in the market called Farmgate Cafe where you can try the one and only Tripe and Drisheen ;)
- Cobh. nice little seaside town. Good for a half an hour walk along the sea cost.
- jameson distillery in Midleton. good fun, interesting tour. make sure you rise your hand when the guide asks for volunteers for the mini tasting session.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear W00ki3,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. Please be assured that we take all customer comments on board and while I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay I will indeed be discussing all of your comments on the Breakfast and Restaurant with my team and seeing if we can action any points to make sure our guests are all taken care off to our full ability.

Head of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is my second visit to this hotel i stayed first 4 years ago,
I will come back again to this hotel as i really enjoyed my stay.
The room was lovely very modern with a Comfortable Bed,
The staff were Friendly one employee in particular at dinner was very good at his job he had great Customer service skills.
The only down fall during the stay was breakfast its not up to standard with a 4 Star hotel,
It is served in a buffet style which is great but the cooked breakfast is served off carvery you have to wait for the chef to come out of the kitchen to serve you which is fine,but the food was not good very watery microwaved scrambled eggs and tasteless sausages and rashers,There is a good selection of Fruit, Cereal, Juices etc but the cooked breakfast leaves a lot to be desired,
Overall i really enjoyed my stay and i will return but the breakfast let it down which is a shame as everything else was great,

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the renovated side,rooms are more modern
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ireland8660,

Thank you for sending me and my team your feedback. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will be back and I would also like to assure you that I will be speaking with my Executive chef in relation to your breakfast comments to see if any changes can be made to make sure our guests are happy and enjoy all of our facilities.

Head of Operation
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Although have often eaten or drunk in here while in Cork have never stayed until last weekend. Found it to be a great place to stay at a very reasonable price. Rooms are comfortable and staff are very helpful. Food is excellent. Recommend it as a place to stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Geoff N,

Thank you so much for posting your review on your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I have shared all of your kind words with my team.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Four of us went for a spa weekend and it was great value. Rooms were lovely (road traffic can be heard though) spa treatment was so relaxing and 20% off. And Suttons bar had good food/very comfy seating to chat in privacy. Staff were friendly (if a bit disorganised at times). Only let down was dinner included in package-one of the worst meals I've ever had and I would skip it next time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear OzzieEire,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Firstly I would like to apologise for the dinner let down and advise you I have instructed my Executive chef and Bar Manager to fully investiagte this and take any action necessary to make sure this does not happen again. I am glad to read however that you enjoyed the room and Spa during your time with us.

I do hope to welcome you back soon so you can experience the positive results of your feedback.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night recently. Check in was hassle free and we were soon in our room on the 5th floor. Room well decorated and comfortable. Dinner was included in our package and the food was on high standard. Spa and leisure facilities were top class although under renovations

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Woodseyb,

I was delighted to share your kind and positive feedback with my team and even more delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Head of Opertaions
Portarlington, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Spent two separate weeks in this hotel on business trips. First room I was given was a tiny (think cell size) single room. I phoned reception to request a bigger room, receptionist informed me it would be €20 extra per night. I informed her I could have paid €5 extra per night when I booked and had a double with breakfast for two so could not understand why I should have to pay €20 extra per night. She said she would speak to the manager and phone me back. She then phoned back and moved me to a double room next door. The room was fine, still fairly small but lovely big shower in bathroom. I couldn't complain as I paid €65 per night through lidlbreaks while colleagues paid €90 for the corporate rate. I think the corporate rate is extremely expensive and my colleagues and I all booked through lidlbreaks and similar websites on our return while some opted to stay at other cheaper hotels in the area. Bear in mind we were staying mid week so €90 for a single b&b is, in my opinion, very expensive.
Bar food was nice and the bar busy every evening. Breakfast was lovely and staff very friendly and accommodating. I would stay again but would not pay the corporate rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear lollypops12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I want to assure you that we take all customers feedback on board and I have shared all of you comments with my team in particular my Revenue Manager so we can investigate if any changes can be made.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The bedrooms here are soooo nice. Very well kept and well decorated.

We stayed here on val night and had dinner. The dinner was the best we ever had! So well cooked!

However we where badly let down as we stayed in room 525. The carpet was soaking wet and every time we walked by the window in soaked our clothes. I did mention it go reception and all we got was a sorry. Sleeping in the room did flare up my asthma so it must very dusty and damp

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank RobertaEthan1
Dear RobertaEthan1,

I am so so sorry that your stay was disrupted by the wet floor in your room and I can assure you this is a once off and will not occur again. I was delighted to read however that you still enjoyed your valentines night and I hope to see you back very soon.