“Disappointed to say the least!”

Rochestown Park Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Youghal, Cork, Ireland
“Disappointed to say the least!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed in Rochestown park Saturday (14/07/12) night for a wedding. I am from cork and have been to the hotel for lunch and functions on a few occasions so am familiar with the hotel.

We checked in early before going to the wedding and i noticed the counter top in the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly at all. I ran my finger through a layer of dust. (see photographs,you will see my finger line through the dust.) We were in a hurry to get to the wedding so didn't have the opportunity to mention the problem to staff. I then put it out of my mind as i didn't want it to ruin our day.

I had high hopes for our stay here. I was quite disappointed. We weren't in the room at all really which is probably the main reason I didn't complain to staff but that's no reason to accept this low standard. The counter top was obviously wiped but any items in the bathroom were not moved to clean the place properly and it makes me wonder what other corners were cut! Don't get me wrong. The room was gorgeous, the decor is really nice but I really did expect a lot more.

Also the residence bar stopped serving alcohol between 4am and 4.30am which everybody thought was quite strange. There were still a lot of wedding guests and hotel guests in the bar. I don't really know what time a residence bar usually stays open until but we were informed this was extremely early to close.

We have an 11month old baby and this was only the second time we have been away from her. These getaways just don't happen, and it was just a shame that this put a damper on things.

Room Tip: The rooms that can be seen from the lobby area are really nice. I don't know if they're newe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annienick86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with our 3 children, our room was huge and plenty of room with a family of 3 small boys.
Staff all very friendly and helpful, especially the girls on reception.
Lovely led lighting in the rooms that change colour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank threeboys77
, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear threeboys77,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback, I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your family break here at the Rochestown Park Hotel.

I shall share you positive feedback with my reception team, whom I know shall be trilled with the recognition.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Smiddy
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here last week for five nights on an organised coach trip from uk, couldn't fault the place food was good and plentiful if i had a complaint it would be that the buffet breakfast should be self service i prefer choosing my food portions instead of asking the chef who by the way was very happy to serve you. Suttons bar was very good, full of localish people with bar staff as sharpe as pins serving three people at once. Another plus for us was bed change after two days & towels everyday none of the eco rubbish we get in uk about saving water etc etc. In a word a very good hotel for what we paid on a par with most of the 4 star hotels we have stayed in. PS we are not a couple of frail pensioners [ because we were on a coach ] we are early sixties.

Room Tip: If you like a beer theres a shopping complex a five minute walk away and rooms have fridges.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank collinsjcbman
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times now ,mostly on buisness and find the hotel very enjoyable ,
the first few times i stayed I booked direct with hotel and rooms were lovely with loads of room .
I find the price of the hotel varies and can be expensive at times a little to much especially for one person this annoys me in hotels ... The last time I stayed I book over a website and it was almost €80 cheaper so I booked and when I arrived was put in an attic room which was so small you could hardly turn in the room other than that the room was clean and bright just size was a problem as I felt I needed to be smaller and I am only 5ft 2 so I really cant see if anyone taller stayed here how they would deal with it ....on all my visits I have eaten in bar which is lovely and staff are very pleasant .. breakfast is fine buffet style and food is on hot plate for a long time so a bit dried up . over all this is a nice hotel with good staff but they just need to be a little more realistic with prices and especially mid week

Room Tip: The buisness rooms are excellent but they carry the price also
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Arrived on 02/07 as a family of 4 staying for 3 nights. It was very easy to find the Hotel driving from Dublin. On arrival the Reception staff were friendly and helpful, we had booked a family room and were given a triple room with one double bed and one single bed, we queried this and were told that a roll away bed would be sent up free of charge (?). The room had been booked for 4 people but there were only 2 towels, 2 coffee cups and 2 glasses ( another phone call to reception ). We had Dinner in Suttons Bistro over the 3 nights, the food and drinks were very good and well priced. The staff working in the Bistro were outstanding, nothing was too much trouble. We all used the Pool area and the Gym, it was all very clean and well supervised, there is a charge for towel hire of 2 euro which you get back when you take the towel back. On our third day we arrived back at the room after spending the day in Kinsale to find the room had not been serviced ( someone had hung a Do Not Disturb Sign outside our door). Reception were very apologetic and sent someone up while we were having dinner unfortunately only the bins were emptied and the wet towels were taken away, a further 3 calls resulted in fresh towels and clean coffee cups and glasses being brought to the room. I cannot fault the Reception staff as they were very helpful each time contacted but really HOUSE KEEPING need to raise the game a bit to acquire the 4 Star rating advertised ( like hovering the floor every day ). The safety deposit box found within the cupboard in the bedroom was not fixed to the wall which was a pain having to carry phones, laptop and camera everywhere. On the plus side we were given a free breakfast on the last morning as a way to make amends for the day before. With so many Hotels competing for business in this current economic climate this is just not good enough.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary B
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed for three nights in Rochestown Park Hotel comin from galway to have a weekend away with my husband as it was our 10 anniversary. Got welcomed very well by the two girls ob reception . Very polite and always had a smile on there face when I asked them questions that day I came !

Had grub in suttons bar friday eveining which was lovely . The bar staff very very friendly. And there was a great vibe around around the bar which would put a smile on your face .

Throughout the weekend my husband and I could not say more on how comfortable the bed was as soon as we lyed down we would fall straight to sleep .

Saturday and Sunday morning we had breakfast and was greeted very mannerly by the restaurant supervisor and the chief was in great form which would make you happy in the mornings . The breakfast eas lovely n buffet was second to none .

I have one bad comment to make and that goes to the restaurant staff in which both mornings we had breakfast , the women would b yawning and makin noises while cleanin the table next to me which happend on both mornings . It might be an early start but that is just filthy . When they were finished cleanin they would stand by d kitchen loking around and still yawining and wouldnt b able to give me as a customer 100% attention and smile.

I will be telling family & friends about how good this hotel is and telling them to make sure they visit it sometime in the near future.

• Stayed June 2012
armagh northern irealnd
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed in Rochestown Pk recently with my husband and 14 month old daughter on a mid week break. Breakfast was nice just your usual buffet style. We also had lunch and dinner in Suttons Bar and Bistro which was lovely and the waiting staff were very pleasant and attentive. Swimming pool and relaxation areas were nice and clean and pool was warm enough for our baby to enjoy. My only problem with the hotel was the cleanliness of our bedroom. The curtains were absolutly filthy with large stains apparent. The bedspread had dirty marks which looked like false tan and nail polish and the carpet also felt sticky underfoot. Our daughter had a bath every night and the bath was not cleaned once during our stay although clean towels and tolietries were provided. The toliet roll holder was also hanging off the wall. I am not sure if we stayed in one of the new rooms or not. I would stay here again but would insist on but insist on extra cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family