“fun night”

South County Bar and Cafe - Douglas
Ranked #4 of 688 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Good value Food, drinks and IRISH MUSIC is what makes the South County Bar & café, Douglas a must when visiting Cork. Douglas village is a short taxi ride(3 miles) from Cork city and the South County is within walking distance of local hotels The Maryborogh House & Rochestown Park Hotel(both 10 mins walk). This award winning Irish pub has an old world feel, has a cosy snug and a wonderful outdoor area, 'The Guinness beer Garden'. IRISH MUSIC sessions throughout the year...Every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights aswell as a fun sing-along ballad session every Sunday at 6pm. This pub also boasts a large selection of Irish whiskies in the Whiskey corner and serves the tastiest Irish coffee around !!
Reviewed July 10, 2013

recently went with family for dinner, service was a little slow, but we were a large group. Returned another night and the food was delicious and the service 5 star !!

tomandcolm, Owner at South County Bar and Cafe - Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you Terri, We are happy that you enjoyed your recent visit to the South County. We look forward to you returning in the not too distant future....
Kind regards, Tom O'Connor

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went into pubs almost every night I was in Ireland. I did a bit of pub crawling in the major cities I visited, including Dublin and Gallway. My 2 friends and I popped in for dinner, had a standard Cheesburger and Carlsberg and found they were going to have traditional irish music later in the evening. So we came back later around 9 pm and were greeted with a cadre of young talented musicians. Everyone we met in the bar was nice, and I felt it was a great place to meet local, hard working Irishman and women. Its a beautiful interior, a real departure from the crap I'm used to here in the states, and it made me a bit envious that I wouldn't be coming home to such a chill place here stateside. It was by far, my favorite pub experience in Ireland (I went around the entire country) next to the literary pub crawl I did in Dublin.

Highly recommend for an authentic, relaxed, funny, enjoyable time.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a traditional style pub which serves good food and good crack and has a really good outdoor area.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

In my travels around Douglas it was hard to find a pub. I came across this place that was deceptive from the outside . I have been to a lot of pubs but this is by far my favourite the staff the food all ooze excellence . I would highly recommend this pub .

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It's your usual bar food; steaks, burgers, salads, pasta but homemade and the quality is excellent. Having recently moved to the area, it is now my local pub and even though I don't usually eat in bars (the TVs and smell usually out me off) I happily make an exception for this place. The staff are very accommodating and will always find you a table. I have eaten there twice and each time had the chicken burger. It is a very pleasant surprise to get a grilled butterflied chicken breast marinaded in a mildly spicy sauce in the burger. I was expecting a breaded “chicken” patty but this was the tastiest burger I have ever had.
Now, the onion rings. I have a weakness for onion rings and these do not disappoint. They are rings of fresh onion (funnily enough) breaded and fried. They are homemade and delicious! Finish that off with a homemade dessert and you’re ready to roll out the door.
The facilities are excellent, spotless toilets and a large and airy beer garden. Good food, reasonable prices and great staff; what more could you ask for?