“Have Had Better”
Review of Fota Island Spa

Fota Island Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Cork
More attraction details
Owner description: Fota Island Spa at Fota Island Resort offers a great range of treatments and facilities. The facilities include a swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool and steam rooms. Treatments offered include beauty treatments, massages and facials.
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I think i should start by saying I had some great treatments - they were lovely and very nice staff but no way is this spa a five star experience... We had the Afternoon Indulengence, which includes 2 treatments & afternoon tea.

Firstly, the robes&slippers provided are in dire need of being replaced..any bit of luxury in them has long since left the building.... slippers are those plastic flip flops, you'd buy yourself for a swimming pool.. Only I got shown the facilities available, cause the others with me went straight up for the treatments.

Then after tea was a let down....... brown bread & salmon... I DONT LIKE FISH... no alternative provided & there wasnt 3 of everything.... shouldnt there be when there is 3 of you.... Some of the cakes were downright not nice.... So I think if they want to be classed as five star things need to improve.

1  Thank KillowenCork
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback, which we greatly value. We regularly take robes and slippers that are not up to standard out of circulation and I apologise if you felt yours was not luxurious on this occasion. The slippers we offer our guests are new, we use that particular range as we find they are more comfortable in water areas, the disposable slippers get damp easily and become uncomfortable for the wearer.

Due to popular request we have recently added a chocolate brownie and pavlova to our Spa Afternoon Tea, which has received a lot of positive reviews, however I have passed your comments onto the pastry chef who welcomes all feedback.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience as intended but thank you again for taking the time to offer us your comments, as it is always welcomed and taken on board to ensure we maintain our high standards.

All reviews
"relaxation area"
in 7 reviews
"heated beds"
in 3 reviews
"afternoon tea was lovely"
"spa facilities are"
"both occasions"
"return again"
"lovely staff"

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I booked some treatments for myself as a treat and I was really looking forward to my spa day. What actually got was complete mortification! I'm a little bit heavy and it has never been a problem in any spa I've ever gone to, but at Fota I was humiliated by having to ask for a larger robe, not once but twice and each time they gave me smaller and smaller robes. What made it worse was that I had to ask at reception, infront of other clients. After my third attempt I gave up, I felt so awful and mortified that I didn't want my spa day anymore. I'll be honest and say I was crying as I left. Asking for a bigger size robe is something I've had to do before once or twice in other places but never have staff been so unhelpful or mocking, one receptionist actually laughed at me. The treatments themselves I'm sure are lovely but I never got to have any, I felt so uncomfortable bad humiliated. Beware women if you're any bit large you might be teated just like me!

6  Thank Serenesabine
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for your comment. I’m disappointed you didn’t enjoy your experience as intended. We do offer 2 robe options in order to cater for all our guests and I do apologise if this was not sufficient. We have investigated this matter fully and I can assure you that no member of staff would ever be so unprofessional so as to laugh at a guest, but I apologise if you felt this was the case which I can assure you it was not. Naturally, I do hope this apparent misunderstanding hasn’t adversely affected your opinion of Fota Island Spa for the future and if you do get the opportunity to return to Fota Island Spa please contact me directly on 021 4673131

Warm Regards
Melissa Jones
Spa Manager

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I visited with a friend last weekend and had the double pamper package. We used the hydrotherapy facilities which were suberb, if a little crowded for the size (perhaps it was a busy day, given that it as at the weekend). I think tho that to make the best use of the hydrotherapy and heat treatment areas it would be a good idea if , when booking, we were advised to give ourselves an extra hour at the very least to fully enjoy them.
What I did find offputting however, was heat treatment areas were completely dark - I walked into one, couldn't see my way around and walked straight into the seating slab (tho the therapist later on was so nice and asked what happened and if my leg was painful) and in the next one, walked in, put my hand on the wall and didn't realize I had activated the shower and soaked my robe (therapist kindly got me a dry one) !.
For the treatments, I chose the Polynesian foot ritual which was a lovely treat and the therapist provided a very good foot massage - best I have had in years. Tho I was surprised to find that the ritual did not include a toenail file and paint - that would have been a nice addition.
The facial was also very good and the therapist even incorporated some techniques from Indian head massage which was very very relaxing - I'm sure I almost fell asleep!
Afterwards we relaxed upstairs in the solarium lounge which was very very comfortable - helped somewhat the fact that it was an unseasonably sunny day.
Afternoon tea was very nice. Lovely smoked salmon and delicious coffee with the scones.
We were so relaxed we couldn't help but have some wine afterwards and stay a little longer :-)

Apart from the heat treament area, I did think the layout could be a bit better. After using the hydro area (and heat treatment) you had to go back across the reception area in your robe to shower before your treatments and cross the lobby again to go back for your treatments.

It was more expensive than average but it is a luxury 5 star facility

Thank you for your comment. As part of our confirmation call we do advise guests to allow themselves an extra hour to avail of the facilities, my apologies if this was not conveyed to you. I am sorry to hear that you felt the Hammam and Tepidarium were too dark, these areas are equipped with colour therapy lights on both ceilings to aid relaxation.
I'm delighted you enjoyed both your treatments, all our therapists take great pride in completing treatments a high standard.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Fota Island Spa in the future.

Warm Regards
Melissa Jones
Spa Manager

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

During a recent visit to Cork City, four of us girls spent the day at Fota Island Spa. What a beautiful place. The staff were amazing, the relaxation that's offered here, is top notch. The wading pool, swimming pool, after massage refreshments were all amazing. We finished up our day of beauty, dining at The Golf Clubhouse. Amazing place.