“Great Service - Not Awful for the Price”
Review of Bru Bar and Hostel

Bru Bar and Hostel
Ranked #1 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Cork
Kings Park, New York
“Great Service - Not Awful for the Price”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was the second hostel I stayed at in my trip to Ireland. We stayed in a twin room ensuite.
The room was very small but it was clean. I didn't like that there was no outlet in the bathroom but that seemed to be that way in all accomodations. The bed was comfortable to sleep on (even though I didn't sleep that much) We didn't use the facilities so I can't review the kitchen or common area. The WiFi didn't really work that well but there were computers available to the guests. The staff were helpful and friendly especially Chris who was the late night employee of the hostel/bar. He kept the bar open for us since we were not rowdy or loud. He was accomodating and helpful with any questions we had during our stay. He helped us with our luggage when we checked out which he didn't need to do. He made our stay very pleasant which we walked away very happy in the log run.

Room Tip: Our twin ensuite was on the first floor which was helpful since there was no elevator and my luggage...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed in hotels all over Ireland and they were excellent, this hotel was not! It was by far the worst.
1. staff were not friendly on arrival
2. stayed in 6 bed dorm - bunks overlapped each other as they had obviously jammed in as many bunks as possible into a small area.
3. ONE WHOLE WALL COVERED IN MOLD
4. mold all though the bathroom
5. sheets hadn't been cleaned - had hairs all though them
6. bathroom dirty with makeup smeared on the walls
7. saw the cleaners the next day - had obviously found some clothes people had left behind from sat night and were dividing up their finds between them - it was only sun morning and people could have returned asking for their lost belongings

8. tv room is nice but tv is old, has only one working channel and no remote

Was really disappointed with this hostel - even though we paid the £16 a night I felt ripped of at how dirty our room was. We stayed in cheaper hostels which were much nicer. Don't stay here if you don't have to!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - if so - inspect room to make sure you don't get a room covered in mold.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sarah F

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Aftter a heavy night of fighting and drinking, coming back to the Bru i was surprised to see the same ensuing there. . All night! The bar is good fun, but the prison-like dorm rooms were not much to brag about. We were six people crammed in one tiny cell, with a window that almost opened.

The amenities are ok, for what you expect from a hostel. The average borimg toast and jam breakfast with cereal, and a shared tv room with wifi and some computers. The bar is the big pull of this place, and I can vouch for it. It is highly popular, better priced than most of Cork city and decent selections. It's not the mead halls of valhalla, but it served a thirsty viking well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Pros
1. Friendly staff.
2. Clean rooms, though it does get a bit hot at night.
3. Laundry service for 5 Euro is definitely a plus!
4. A very short walk from the railway station, and a short walk to anything else in the city.

Cons
1. Breakfast was abysmal, just some cereal and a toaster that burnt everything that went in it.
2. No wifi in the rooms, just downstairs in the lobby/bar. The staff will swear up and down that there is wifi in the rooms, but no, there is not.
3. The bar attracts a lot of extremely dodgy people past 10PM, so be wary.
4. It's a walk-up to whatever floor you're on, and good luck getting the staff to help you carry a heavy piece of luggage.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

I came for the aforementioned prostitutes. Sadly they did not exist. I was luckily able to meet the drunkest person in the world who also happens to be the affable owner. The craic at brubar was class and the accomodations good. Excluding the loudly snoring aussies it was an excellent hostel and highly recommended

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Krausjd
Carleton Place, ON
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The location is really good, not far from the bus or train station. The atmosphere is great and a bar right there. The staff are really friendly and the hostel is very clean. With the shower you need to keep pressing the button to keep the water flowing but I've seen this in other hostels as well. It helps to conserve water. I really liked this hostel and would return again. The 6 bed dorm is a little squishy but works.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Good location, not far from the train station and close to the bus pickup for the CitiLink. I was pleased with this hostel. My only complaint was that the shower temperature could not be adjusted or turned on. There was a button to push on the wall and only spurted water for a few moments. I had to keep pushing the button over and over to keep the water going and it was hot! I guess it was set up like those faucets in the sinks where it has an automatic shut off.
I read all the reviews before staying at this hostel and was hesitant by the negative ones, but took a chance and was glad I did. Except for the shower situation, I thought the hostel was a good deal. I had a room to myself the first night, which was great. It was a tiny room and if anyone else had checked in with bags I don't know how we would have fit. I would stay again most likely because it is a good value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo