“Kind of disappointing!”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
North Plainfield, New Jersey
“Kind of disappointing!”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Possibly we had our hopes up booking a Superior room in this hotel but it was a bit disappointing. There are so many wonderful features to this hotel. The location could not be better. The dinner at Pembroke Restaurant was amazing. The Aveda Spa was wonderful... for 3 consecutive days (massages, vitality suite). The room was where we had issues. The toilet made a LOUD roaring sound for at least 2 minutes when you flushed it. Our wake-up call came 20 minutes late with an apology that the phones were down (did they not think to send someone up to knock on our door?). There was an issue with the phones that your could not make international calls.

I would recommend staying nearby for the location and make sure to have a dinner at the Pembroke Restaurant. Book appointments at the great Spa... but honestly I do not think I would stay at this hotel again.

It really is a shame that they have so many really great features and can still be so disappointing!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scottandrew75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
NEW YORK CITY!!!!!
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were walk-ins...we didn't have a previous reservation. We found it on our car satellite guide. It was a lovely hotel - the oldest in all of cork. Very lovely architecture. The room was clean and nicely decorated. No complaints. Definitely stop in the cafe downstairs. The decor is amazing! Within walking distance to many pubs and restaurants and shopping too.

• Stayed May 2009
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This hotel is just so lovely, probably the best one to stay in cork, the room is so comfy,
Its a real treat and its so central to the pubs shops and restuarants..

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My partner and I booked into the Imperial for three nights for Valentines Day. We were extremely disappionted by the hotel. The hotels website, isnt far off false advertising. Their website gave the illusion that this was a plush hotel with very nice rooms and a pool. We were given a scruffy double room, and only discovered after checking in that the pool is part of the spa, and you must pay for a treatment in the spa in order to gain access to the pool. Also parking was not in the hotel, it was five minutes walk away, and there was a charge for 7.50 euro per day.

I spoke with the manager on duty to explain my disappointment, and we were upgraded to a “better” room. The upgraded room wasnt much better than the first room. We wanted to check out immediately, however we would have forfitted the first nights fee. We checked out the following morning and moved to Jurys beside UCC. I honestly couldnt reccomend this hotel to you.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. Perhaps I am biased (I got married there), but I find it very difficult to see how anyone could beat the service you get. The hotel is not perfect, there are deficiencies, no swimming pool, no in-house car-parking, but you know that before you go, and the standards met elsewhere make the overall experience fantastic. We have just spent the weekend there and I think its my fifth time staying in the last 24 months. Worth every penny, and will stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cathalr_99
Reviewed April 22, 2009

A group of friends and myself just got back from a hen weekend in Cork. We stayed at the Imperail Hotel. We had a great stay. The hotel is fab, really charming. The staff couldn't do enough for us and were really friendly and helpful. The rooms were lovely and were cleaned daily. We had dinner in the hotel on the friday night, it was gorgeous.
The location of the hotel is perfect, right in the middle of the shopping and all the nightlife is just a ten minute walk up the road.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Myself, my husband and toddler stayed here for 3 nights and would definitely go back. We had a superior room which was great in most ways (after a bit of baby-proofing i.e. removing glass table tops from everything & heavy lamps etc.) apart from being very hot - no internal air-con is a bit of a disadvantage I can imagine it being very hot in summer. The check-in staff & catering staff in particular were very friendly and far from being annoyed at the presence of a toddler at most meals were very welcoming & attentive (we did our best to keep him quiet !). The food in the restaurant was delicious.

I was slightly disappointed with the spa - when I booked on the phone I was told I could come 30 minutes early and relax in the relaxation suite before my treatment (for some extra time away from delightful but exhausting toddler !) - but when I arrived I was greeted by a slightly cranky receptionist who made me wait the extra 15 minutes that I was early in the cold reception area filling in a form. I was shown where to get changed and then had to wait a further 10 minutes with no access to magazines etc. right outside the men's changing room. As it was late in the day I can only assume this wasn't normal maybe she'd just had enough by then and couldn't be bothered walking all the way down to the relaxation area ! The treatment was lovely - I paid and asked was there a lift back to the hotel as I was heavily pregnant and the 3 flights of stairs up would have been a killer ! I was told just to go out the front door of the spa and the hotel was "just on the left down the road a bit". When you go out the front door of the spa it's onto a back alley ! It was now dark and cold, I had no coat having come from the hotel and it was a few minutes to walk back to the hotel - down the back alley (!) - just as well I wasn't in a robe and slippers. So that was a pity really about the spa.

Otherwise it was a refreshing change that all staff were so friendly and helpful - at one point we ordered room service and although they were extremely busy downstairs (it was Paddy's weekend) the manager brought up the tray to us herself rather than make excuses that they had no available staff (as has happened in other hotels).

I would definitely recommend a stay - maybe just go to the spa earlier in the day and hope they show you to the relaxation room if you're early. It's also a stone's throw from the main shopping area too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family