“Charming Hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I really like this Hotel, its really nice in the winter time, I stayed in the penthouse suite for two nights it was great, it would be a great place to host a small intimate party.The restaurant serves a good choice of food which has always been delicious when I have eaten there, The new fish hatch which seves take away fish is great, The aveda spa is really relaxing and I would highly recommend a massage, I have been there many times and always feel relaxed afterwards

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,216)

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Ok this is a mixed bag, certainly not all bad, but in desperate need of some effort to really claim it's 4 star rating.
Positives:- One of the oldest hotels in Cork, great situation within the city centre, wifi in the room, the breakfast was very nice, staff polite and friendly.

Negatives:- Beyond the fine exterior and lobby sits a typical old hotel than needs an upgrade, the shower in my room was very old and not all the water came out the holes it was designed to, plus some came out areas it should not have, the sink in our bathroom also seemed blocked and took an age to go down. Although staff as previously stated were polite, I did feel the question 'was everything ok with your stay' was a token gesture as they seemed to take little notice of where they were failing when i did inform them. We stayed with our Irish friends in this hotel, we were on the second floor, they were on the third, in the night we were uncomfortable hot, no heating on, but no air conditioning either, however our friends on the third floor found it intollerable, far from getting a lie in, they ended up getting up early to get out in the cooler air!!

If you claim 4 star none of the above is rocket science and should be a minimum standard, especially for the price being set at 4 star levels.

Room Tip: On a hot evening it would seem better to be on a lower floor as the rooms higher up were overly hot...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank S7evieboy
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us your feedback, both positive and negative.

I apologise for our shortcomings during your stay and I will personally get the shower you discribed fixed.

All feedback to us is important as it helps us to improve. I hope that the overall experience you encountered here will encourage you to return to our hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back and to getting the opportunity to improve on your recent experience.

Yours sincerely,

Joe Kennedy

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here overnight. Centrally located within minutes walking distance of everything. Room was large and the bed extremely comfortable. Very quiet at night (on the 3rd floor).
Friendly and very efficient staff. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The exterior and main lobby of the hotel lead you to believe that this is an old world, 4 star luxury hotel. Once you get past the lovely cafe and posh bar, the shabby carpet, chipped paint, and dirty bathrooms rear their ugly head. This is in no way a 4 star hotel. Our room and my sister in law's room did not get wifi, nor did they have an iron in the rooms. The hotel is situated on a busy street, so if you open your window, which you need to do as the rooms are very hot, you will have the pleasure of waking up multiple times to the sounds of dump trucks, garbage trucks, etc throughout the night. The included breakfast was marginal at best. I would not return to this establishment.

Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Ashley H
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I was dissappointed to read your comments and sorry not to get the opportunity to meet you on departure to discuss with you. Feedback, both positive and negative is very important to us as it helps to improve.

I hope that you can accept our apology and return in good faith to us when next in Cork as I know we are better than the experience you have just encountered.If you would like to comment more specifically to me please email me on jkennedy@imperialhotelcork.ie

Again my sincere apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

Joe Kennedy

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here recently for a 2 night stay. Wow! What a fabulous hotel. Its in a fantastic area, near everything - just a short stroll to the shops, and plenty of bars, restaurants & café's near by. Our room was lovely. High ceilings, loads of space, beautiful big bathroom, and very comfortable beds. The hotel reception, bar + dining rooms are very old school style & there is a real glamorous feel to this place. I loved it. One of the nicer places I have stayed - would most definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Sunday night in Cork is not a place for tourists. There were no inviting restaurants or bars to visit, and as we walked around the city the only people we saw were teenagers riding skateboards and hanging out on the corners. We found the Imperial to be very "middle of the road". The room was small and hot - not at all what we expected.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Karen W
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night recently. Centrally located and close to shops / pubs & restaurants. Check in was quick & friendly. Room was small. No ironing board or iron. No air con. No bottled water. No fan etc. bar staff were friendly. Night security staff were assertive to say the least!...breakfast was average. Not a great selection of ham / cheese etc. more of a good 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012