“So this is why my parents always go here”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My parents always go to this hotel and now I understand why. Modern hotels are all hip and cool this was like stepping back into time when hotels were grand places.
We loved the ambiance and the great and very friendly service. My wife had a beautiful time in the spa and I waited patiently in one of the many of the small pubs dotted nearby.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning in the rooms. We were in the front of the hotel and had to have the wi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Imperial Hotel

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just back from a three night stay in the imperial. Really enjoyed it. Beautiful old style hotel. Lovely cafe as u walk in. Food was excellent and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Could not do enough for us. Ideal stay for shopping as its so central. We had a family room which was perfect. We will definately stay in this hotel again when we return to cork.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Nice old hotel, generally very clean, well presented and in a good location. Main problem (and its a biggy) is that our room was overlooking a small side street (Pembroke St) that turned out to be very very noisy. The late bars and clubs blasted out music until 3 am, so no sleep before 3.30am. Wednesday night seemed to be particularly loud. In addition the business life started at 6.30am with bin collections, building works, and services for the GPO at the end of street. Some good points - reception we got on arrival was very good with a number of staff offering assistance as we waiting for small queue to clear. Concierge service very good throughout our stay and service in bar excellent. Service in restaurant was friendly but the waiting staff looked like amateurs - small things like handing out additional cutlery soup & fish and looking elsewhere when placing plates and no table cloth just a narrow runner with the table a bit sticky. Meal was good however but limited selection on menu. I also agree with previous reviews that the room was stifling hot and no way to control the heat and the car parking was a bit awkward, but given location understandable. All in all nice hotel, definitely not four star, and don't take a room on Pembroke street side if you want to get some sleep.

Room Tip: Stay away from all rooms overlooking Pembroke St at side of hotel.
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed for two nights, bed breakfast and evening meal package at the imperial hotel Cork. The cusomer service was excellent, the room was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly. The food in the restaurant exceeded our expectations and like wise the breakfasts.
The imperial location is great from the point of view of access to shopping and is very close to the English market.
We are already planning a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The staff were probably the most helpful I've encountered, but i was disappointed to find that the SUPERIOR room booked was not as per the pictures on website......it led me to believe there was a brown leather couch in the room, and that the room was bigger......... actually the other standard room i booked was bigger. my room also was stifling hot and there were no buttons in the room to alter the heat.even with the windows open.....i would have expected the view to be onto the city, not the car park.
The atmosphere in the hotel is excellent. i will return but will ask the relevant questions when booking.

Room Tip: get a description of the room especially if you are upgrading. ask about heating in rooms and if the...
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Myself and my Mother stayed here for a two night Spa Break. The room itself was clean and tidy but very small and was hard to manouver around when trying to get to open the window or get into the bathroom. The Pembroke restaurant was fab, we had a meal here on the first night and it was great. Staff very attentive and very helpful. The breakfast options were great, they had a variety of everything and plenty of it. My mother met the people at reception first and felt they were not very attentive, I also felt this. I had to ask about the parking rather than being told about it and was also told that all the hotel parking had been taken. I was told to park anywhere but make sure I moved the car early the next day as I may have the car clamped. You have to pay €8 per night and you are not guaranteed a space at all and the car park is offsite also. I do realise it was a bank holiday and it was very busy but the website should state that spaces are limited. The Spa was fab and the staff were really professional snd provided an excellent service. When leaving and checking out we were not once asked if everything was ok for us or if we had a nice time. Overall we really enjoyed our stay but the reception staff behind the desk could be a small bit more helpful.

Room Tip: A double room may be bigger than the twin rooms.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I actually don't know where to start with this review as it was that bad and I'm brutally embarrassed and grossly disappointed to put it mildly. To begin with, I wanted to take my partner away for a romantic weekend break for two reasons, one of which being her birthday and the other which was a far more important milestone in our relationship which she was unaware of. For these reasons, I wanted everything to be perfect (and just to point out, we’re not a particularly fussy couple and generally would not complain but this was just a particularly poor experience). The Imperial experience package seemed to be quite attractive and it’s the first thing that you see when you enter their website. I was in between a few different hotels including a 5 star hotel outside of Cork City but the convenient location combined with everything that was included in our 3-night stay sold it for me in the end.

But, I didn’t want to leave it to chance and to be extra safe I emailed the general manager, Joe Kennedy in advance to let him know that I had booked the 3-night stay in the hotel for the weekend, (which had gone up in price and didn’t include parking) and that it was a really special weekend for us both and I couldn’t emphasize that enough. I told him that there mixed reviews on the rooms in the hotel and asked that he help me out in making this a special break with a nice room etc. Joe Kennedy never replied to my email and he was on duty when we arrived at the hotel for the entire stay. Joe has replied to other reviews on this thread so I know he will see this message, which is why I want to point this out.

Ok, so on to the actual weekend itself. Firstly the room was quite small and had a double bed and a single bed in the room, making the overall room size quite small. I wasn’t happy with this at all, especially when I went to the bother of emailing the general manager in advance and he could have advised me on the room. So I went to reception and asked for another room which had just a double bed in it. I was told that we were in a superior room and that the other rooms wouldn’t be as nice but then a girl spotted an “executive suite” that they could give us as we were staying the 3 nights. Firstly, I checked the photos of a classic room and a superior room on the Imperial website. We were most certainly in a classic room to begin with and that is also where we finished up, despite the hotel staff trying to fool us by telling us we were in an executive suite (I’m going to upload photos of our room and please judge for yourself by looking at the website and make up your own mind as to whether we were in an executive suite or not). On the “Executive suite” itself, it had no shaving facility, the bathroom floor had black dirty spots (see photos), the tv reception was really poor and the room cleaner threw the bed cover on the ground leaving in dirty each time we returned to the room.

Ok, moving on to the rest of the “Imperial Experience”. The Titanic experience in Cobh is rubbish, but that’s not a fault I’m attributing to the hotel, just my own personal view. As part of the package, there was a 30 minute manicure. My partner went for the manicure and noted that the lighting was really bad and was told by the girl that the Spa wasn’t designed for doing manicures. As a consequence, the finished job wasn’t as good as it could have been. The end product was not good, her nails were not done professionally whatsoever, missing parts of her nails with the paint.

Moving on to dinner- OH MY GOD!!! This was my partner’s birthday dinner last night in the Pembroke restaurant and we were seated in a corner beside two other men and somebody had vomited in our corner!! The smell was disgusting and my partner sat down on a wet seat, smelt her hand and it smelt of vomit. This was supposed to be a nice romantic dinner and he dress was wet after sitting down...how embarrassing this was for me to say the least. The worst part is that the men beside us told us that they already told the on duty manager and they never did anything about it. The manager claimed to have had no knowledge of it when we told him, which was a lie. Incidently, the area was set up for breakfast without been cleaned for the following day.

Finally, as part of our package lunch in the English market was included. We arrived on Friday night and the market was only open for lunch on Saturday and was closed on Sunday and Monday- we were never told this, hugely disappointing. This review is longer than anticipated but I am hugely disappointed and embarrassed at how our weekend with this hotel worked out, never ever again. I actually am so disappointed it’s unreal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple