“great location, great food and lovely hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Kilkenny, Ireland
“great location, great food and lovely hotel”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

the interior of the hotel is just lovely, very nice decor and has a vintage feel about it. but i would prefer that anyway to more modern hotels. The breakfast was fantastic with a great selection of food from buffet. we had a meal in our package and it was the nicest that we had in cork over the 3 days!! our room was very very nice, just a bit too hot so thats the only drawback, really enjoyed it our stay and was great value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Polish first
Cahir, Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We had a one night mid week stay.Day time reception staff very helpful and friendly. The night time reception man was unfriendly to the point of rude. The room was small but cosy and had the best mattress.The special offer stated we could have a late check out time. but we were told our checkout time was one pm.. Breakfast was the ordinary full irish buffet, not much choice and not what id expect from a four star hotel. Its an excellent location to shops and entertainment.We probably would stay again if there were rooms on special offer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lettie R
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Your positive comments are much appreciated and I will rectify any shortcomings you have mentioned. We will inform you of any special offers coming up throughout the year and look forward to welcoming you back.

Laois
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Downstairs interior of the hotel is amazing. there are plenty of little snugs and hide aways dotted all around the hotel. The Bedroom was spacious but a little dated, the bed were comfy. The bedrooms arent the cleanest but not dirty dirty. We had a view of a wall, but as we were at a wedding it wasn't viewed much! I would go back to hotel without a doubt, the lobby area makes up for the bedrooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank T-bert
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. On your next visit to us please make sure to request one of our superior rooms.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We had stayed here before and LOVED it so I was really disappointed the 2nd time round. I am quite late in writing this review but I think what I have to say is stil relevant.

2 years ago we stayed here for my partners birthday and booked an executive room as the website stated that this gave you complimentary access to the hydrotherapy pool which really made the break for us...So last year we wanted the same thing. I rang the hotel, booked an exec room and asked the girl if that meant we were still ok to use the spa facilities. She said yes.

To our disappointment..when we arrived this was not the case as we were told by the receptionist and later a really unhelpful senior reservations manager or supervisor. Eventually they said we could have one session in the pool which it was difficult to feel overly grateful for considering we had been led to believe we could use it for our entire trip.

Basically it just put a bad taste in our mouths at the start of our break. We had love the hotel so much previously that we always thought we would get married there but have since picked another location.

Wish it had lived up to our previous tip...unfortunately wouldnt go back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank star1984
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for any shortcomings during your last stay with us. I hope that it will not deter you from staying again as I know we can do better than this. Look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial and when booking again please email me directly at jkennedy@imperialhotelcork.ie.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Myself and my sister decided to go for a spa day and stay the night in the Imperial as our Christmas presents to eachother. I cannot praise the Spa highly enough but this review is about the hotel.

The reception staff were very friendly and accommodated our slightly early check in. A room was available so we were able to leave our bags. We went up to the room on the 4th floor. The room was a little run down but clean. The floor was sloped but I presume that is to do with the age of the building.

The most negative thing about our stay was the noise. Horns beeping outside, noise on the street and the corridor. The windows are most definitely not sound proof.

Our stay in the hotel was fine but didn't feel like a real treat. The Escape spa is fantastic and made up for the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank yddib
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback especially your very knid words about Escape Salon and Spa. We look forward to seeing you again.

Waterford
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Just back from a weekend in Cork, where I stayed at the Imperial Hotel on South Mall. This wasn't my first stay here and as usual I wasn't disappointed. We arrived and were greeted in the usual friendly manner. Unfortunately though the hotel which aparantly is the oldest in Cork City is starting to show its age. There are a couple of telltale signs of the hotel just wearing out.

On our first night there we had to change rooms due to noise from the street below. The room we were in was on the third floor overlooking the land linking South Mall to Oliver Plunkett street, and between the shouting from the people using the fish hatch and the noise of traffic on South Mall and the lane it was impossible to sleep. I know its a city centre hotel and traffic is expected, but if I can get a restful nights sleep at an airport hotel I don't see why I can't at a city centre hotel. BUT we approached reception and were switched straight away with the minimum of fuss to a lovely room in the centre of the hotel.

Other little things are cracks in the bathroom fixtures and squeeky floors, and a broken shower door in the second room. Like I said a lick of paint and a bit of DIY and its perfect..

We ate in the restaurant the first night and couldn't fault the food in any way (if I had a gripe, its that the main course arrived to quickly after the starter was cleared, but that is the most minor of minor things) The breakfasts were delicious and fresh and there was a great choice.

Finally I'd like to point out the exceptional staff, we had the issue with noise on the first night and they couldn't have been nicer. But even when we were passing in and out, or just general enquiries they were lovely.

All in all I would defintely return to the Imperial time and time again. If I might recommend getting there around Christmas too, the lobby always looks fantastic with the tree and decorations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GBarrettWaterford
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for our shortcomings in relation to your room experience and welcome your constuctive comments. Your positive feedback towards the Pembroke Seafood Bar & Grill and all personnel is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2012

If I travelled to cork again I would rather sleep on the street than stay in the Imperial. We were part of a group booking that stays there every year for the past number of years. I got the impression that the staff felt that they had a right to this booking and were not interested in helping me out in any way. I was told that that the 'group' had a special rate yet when I searched their website I found that the rate being charged was far cheaper than the special deal given to our group. (over 80 people). When I asked for this deal, the girl on reception (louise i think - but could be wrong) actually argued with me and was sarcastic to the last when I demanded the rate quoted on line.

I was to have a superior room, but ended up in a shoebox of a room where I had to put the ironing board on the bed to iron my clothes.

Breakfast was cold, lacking inspiration and overall very poor.

i would never book this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank ash b
Dear Guest,

Again thank you for your feedback. We have communicated by email regarding this review and I very much so look forward to welcoming you all back next year.