“Great place”

Ranked #34 of 717 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Was previously called Starvast but has undergone renovations and a name change recently
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had the set meal for 4 and were very pleased with the dishes and service the staff were really friendly and very attentive. Only criticism was it was a little on the cool side in the building.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Went here based on other Trip Advisor ratings. And we both LOVED IT! The decor is just fantastic, all (we learned) handmade/handcarved and shipped over from China. It's always encouraging to see Chinese people eating in a Chinese restaurant, and we could see why. The food was so authentic... the real deal (and I've been to China), and a really good selection. There were loads of unusual choices, of items that you'd not usually see on a menu outside of China.
The service was very good too, and the prices were ok, including the wine - often restaurant wine prices are greedy, but not here.
Ten out of ten - a great meal and a lovely experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Me and my partner went for dinner here last night and this being our first time, were pleasantly surprised by the interior of the place. The decor was nice and the staff were very welcoming. At eight in the night there were only two other tables filled apart from ours. The service was very prompt and friendly. We went here after seeing many reviews about the authentic food and the fact that there was plenty of choice for vegetarians (one of us is totally vegetarian while the other is mostly vegetarian). The only vegetarian starter on the menu was (the rather common) vietnamese spring rolls - which were nice, though it was probably deep fried in lard or atleast in the same oil as other meat as it had a strong meaty odour.
The main course was a bit tricky as there was bascially only stir fried veg and tofu with rice or chips on offer for the vegetarian option. We were looking forward to eating something a bit more adventurous or atleast something more chinese than chips! The waiter was very polite and offered to ask the chef to cook the veg without any meat stock, fish paste etc and also suggested we try the tofu with the veg. The food arrived promptly as could be expected on the kind of quiet night it was. The food was presented nicely (with flowers made from wafers of some kind) though the boiled rice looked too sticky and was overcooked. My partner went for the crispy chicken with rice. She was not too impressed with the meal and thought that the chicken was quite soggy and the sauce very glupy and unappetising. On the other hand my veg and tufu in schezwan sauce was fine. It was not bursting with flavour or anything, but was mild and palatable. Though the tofu fingers (with egg inside it) had a lovely texture and very nice taste. I have tried various kinds of tufu and in many establishments over the years but this one is very nice and fresh.
We did not stay for desserts or coffee as we were rushing to catch a movie. The prices were reasonable enough and the service was great. The food though was certainly not upto our expectations overall.
Maybe we might go in there again when in the city to try something else..but we wont be rushing there with so much else to choose from.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The restaurant itself has a pleasant decor and the staff were very friendly and cheerful. I got a reasonable lunch menu deal of starter, side and main. My starter was veggie spring rolls that I am accustomed to with soy sauce but this time they were served with some kind of red sour sauce and seemed to have cheese in them. I didn't eat this and they didn't comment upon it when they cleared. My main of chicken curry and rice was bland, not spicy and the chicken was chewy and of poor quality. The person I was with wasn't a fan also. To be fair it was something like 10 or 11 euro for this but I would of been happy to pay more for better food. Wouldn't be rushing back and am very unsure how it's placed so highly when I can think of several Chinese restaurants of better quality. Once again, the staff were nice though.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This restaurant has the best staff in Cork hands down. They're the loveliest, most welcoming restaurant staff. So friendly, and genuinely go out of their way for their customers. The restaurant itself is decorated really nicely and there's a good atmosphere in there. The food is lovely too, with big portions and its really, really good value. The lunch menu is 9.50 for 2 courses and there's great choice on the menu with equal amounts of seafood, vegetarian and meat dishes and you get loads. The evening set menu is 16.80 for 2 courses plus tea, coffee or a drink (you do get a bit more food on your plate with the evening menu-more than you can finish). I only discovered this place recently but I keep going back now not only for the food, but also because the staff are so lovely. Even if its busy you get their full attention. Recommend to anyone looking for a good meal in a lovely environment!