“Beautiful House with Great Hostess”
Review of Ferncliff House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Ferncliff House
Ranked #19 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, Florida
“Beautiful House with Great Hostess”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ms. Breeda was very nice. The house was quaint, the room was nice and clean. Our view from the bedroom window was amazing. Although we had the one room with a detached bathroom, the bathroom was very nice and updated. Ms. Breeda was very helpful in making sure we visited the sites that we wanted to visit while we were in Cork City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Breeda is absolutely lovely. We felt like we were at home in no time. She gave us great suggestions for what to do and see while we were there. She is full of information and gave me a great tip about where to look for information about my family's history in Cork. I love love love this place and I will be visiting there again. The room was very comfortable (we were all the way upstairs) and the view of the city was stunning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie B
Paris, France
Reviewed October 12, 2012

After an active day, we felt like we were coming home. The owner was very welcoming and did everything possible for us to have a good visit in Cork. Breakfasts were delicious. Breeda is not intrusive but if you want to chat, she takes a genuine interest in her guests and their interests. Parking on the street, but good area. There are stairs in the house and the 15. min walk to the city centre/restaurant area is up/down a hill, but it didn't bother us and we are a mature couple. The house is from the late 18th century & nicely restored, but the decor is not 'fussy' or formal, it feels homey. Like another reader, I felt the review of the Italian woman ("terrible") was not correct.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor and it had 3 beds, we needed only 2 but it was nice & big and qui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank P2P187147
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My mom and I were visiting Ireland for the first time. We found the hospitality, breakfast and location wonderful. For Southerners, southeast US, who are known for hospitality -- Breeda and husband, Shaun, were delightful hosts. They recommended a wonderful eatery (Green's) which was the best food we ate in Ireland. If you drive up to the B & B, hilly streets are narrow and steep -- we stalled our car 3 times, but that is probably due to my driving skill or the lack of skill!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jowill_12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I don't understand what the Italian lady had to complain about. We stayed in the same room and yes it was compact -but it was bigger than the one we enjoyed in Via Condotti for €400 and only a bit smaller than the one in Venice for €1100 a night. But they were all unique and wonderful experiences. Breeda and Sean run a wonderful, friendly home away from home which we had the privilege to share. We recommend it to everyone on this basis - if you expect the Savoy, go somewhere else. If you want a really good, value for money b&b in the heart of Cork with great hosts, a warm and comfortable bed, typical Irish warmth and home hospitality, give Breeda a call or email. You won't be disappointed. We loved it and our hosts and we'll be back!

Room Tip: The Family suite on the top floor has been freshly renovated and is great. We weren't allowed to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Breeda, the owner of this B&B was the nicest! Some of my friends and I went traveling throughout Ireland staying in a different city and B&B nearly every night, and we loved this Higgins B&B or better known as The Ferncliff House in Cork.

We all got our own bed in a large room, which was a big plus and Breeda was extremely accommodating with requests, recommendations, and information. The petite woman even insisted on helping me with my oversized luggage up the stairs, which was the first and only host who even offered. The cozy building and room felt authentic, and was truly a home away from home.

We are from NYC and this B&B felt like an Irish city home, and just steps from one of our favorite city's fun. After an amazing late night out me and the girls weren't doing so well and were running late in the morning. The other B&B hosts were nearly pushing us out the door in the mornings, but Breeda allowed us to take the time we needed and even made breakfast for us after the allotted time, which was delicious and large!

She was our favorite host and the location in Cork was excellent! We had a great time and will be back the next time we are in Cork!

Out of all the B&B we stayed at this is the one that stands out, and the only one we sent a thank you note to.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Ferncliff House was a true b&b experience, one that I recommend anyone heading to Cork City should try. Breeda was the most welcoming, informative, friendly and engaging without being too over the top hostesses we met during our nine day trip. We wished we could have stayed with her longer. In fact, she is the only one I've personally kept in touch with despite staying at plenty other b&bs.

Ferncliff is located in a great spot within the city. It's walkable from all of the shopping, delicious restaurants (of which Breeda can recommend a few!), incredible pubs and the fish market. The beds are comfy, showers are spacious and the breakfast was incredible. To add even more kudos to this review, my girlfriends and I (all in our late 20's/early 30's) stayed out a wee bit too late and Breeda - despite having a whole house of guests arriving the next day - waited patiently as we slept past the check out time to cook us breakfast. She even offered some aspirin :)

From the bottom of my heart, this place is how I will remember Ireland. Friendly, hospitable, adorable and simply amazing.

Tracey