“The warmest welcome, friendly and hospital, nothing is too much trouble.”

Blarney Stone Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Southern ireland
“The warmest welcome, friendly and hospital, nothing is too much trouble.”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

A very handy, right on the edge of the City, family owned and run Guesthouse. Exceptionally clean and tidy, with every facility available. Large most comfortable rooms, relaxing sitting area.
Could not be better located for exploring the City and the nearby coast and countryside.
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a lovely town house bed & breakfast across from University College Cork and a 7 minute walk into the city centre. The house is immaculate and my room was lovely, clean and welcoming. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and were obliging. I stayed one night and my bed was extremely comfortable. Traffic noise was minimal and I enjoyed a good night of sleep. I had parking right outside the front door and although space is minimal - there was room for 5 cars. I believe parking at the back is available as well but I can't confirm this. My only downside was that my room smelt heavily of cigarette smoke and this was not very nice during the night/morning. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. It would keep you going all day. I would recommend this accomodation to family/friends but I would prefer to see a much cheaper rate given the recessionary times we have.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the house and ensure you ask for a spacious room. Also they will do a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Crete
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Although 10 - 15 minutes walk from the centre of Cork, this is an excellent place to stay. It's very friendly and everyone was helpful. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. It's on a main road, but we were not aware of traffic noise during the night. The breakfast set us up for the day!

1 Thank clival
Langenfeld, Germany
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We pre-booked the Blarney Stone Guesthouse on our 1st ever trip to Ireland based on recommendation in our travel guide as well as tripadvisor. Badly enough, we can't agree on the positive feedback given for this B&B. Firstly, a parking lot indicated at the back of the house could not be found by the roadsigns (although we made an extra round around the block), hence we decided to park in front in second row, filling the cramped space even more. Owner very briefly welcomed us by handing us the key to our room - third floor, and that was it! The room itself was clean, but very tiny - there was hardly enough room for our two suitcases. The shower taken next morning was good - but shortly after that, we happened to run out of water, both cold and warm! When we mentioned that to the staff serving breakfast, we were under the impression that she could hardly understand - may be she was from Eastern Europe and seemed not to be too familar w/ English language. The food itself was ok-ish - full Irish breakfast was good, but the Porridge was much too thin. Overall, we would decide for another place were we to travel to Cork again.

3 Thank Silke-Joerg
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed August 17, 2011

After paying €79 and being assured a good room, we unfortunately were landed with a tiny room at the top of the house, where you could barely walk around the bed. When leaving the next day, doors were open to the other much larger rooms (which are quite beautiful). I paid initially, thinking I was going to get a larger room similar to what was shown in photographs on the website. This was not the case.

Also, due to unforeseen circumstances, we needed to book last minute accommodation a couple of nights before our reserved stay at the Blarney Stone. We called the guest house at 11.30 PM, hoping they could give us a good rate on a room seeing as it was so late (and we were staying there a couple of days later anyway). We were quoted €95 - and the owner wouldn't reduce this rate (despite the fact that we would be there for less than 10 hours). I thought this was incredibly mean. Garnish House next door were very considerate due to the fact we were seeking accommodation so late and they were kind and gave us a good rate.

The room was above the smoking area also and smelled badly.

I felt completely ripped off by the Blarney Stone Guest House.

Room Tip: Refuse the small room at the top of the house
2 Thank Anonymous M
Belfast
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We arrived in cork without reservations. After trying a few in the area this was by far the best available. The Gueshouse is decorated in a kind of French/Baroque style throughout. Wi-fi is available. Beds are comfy and the place is very clean. Busstop is nearby and cheap way to get into the city although it is also walking distance.
Breakfast is a choice if Full Irish and continental which includes scrambled eggs and pancakes as an option - the pancakes are lovely! Dining area is a little cramped but atmosphere lovely and staff very friendly. Parking is free and spaces available either at the front or back of the property.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Blarney Stone Guesthouse last month on a vacation with my husband and father. My husband and I had a great room on the second floor. My dad had to climb aaallllll the way to the "penthouse" but his cozy room was worth it, he said.

The guestrooms were very well decorated and were exceptionally clean. Probably the *cleanest* B&B that I've ever stayed at.

Parking here is tight out front. We had to circle the block to find the extra parking spaces, though the lot is not clearly marked from the street (if at all). We circled 2 or 3 times before we finally found it.

The owner was very friendly and welcoming. Upon request, she set me up with a password for wireless internet. The woman who served breakfast, though, was not very friendly and the service was quite slow.

All in all, a very good experience. I would definitely go back to this guesthouse if I travel to Cork again. And a bonus... it's just about a block away from Cafe Paradiso!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family