“Very Good Pub / Restaurant”
Review of Barrys of Douglas

Barrys of Douglas
Ranked #111 of 644 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Cork, Ireland
“Very Good Pub / Restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I ate there twice in 4 days and I wasn't disappointed, The first night was a Christmas party and they were a little rushed off there feet but that was to be expected. The second time was with friends and family and we had a very nice meal. The wine can be a bit expensive but the prices are there to see, take it or leave it. After the meal we went into the bar for drinks and it was very pleasant indeed. Quick service, friendly staff and nice atmosphere. Well worth a try.

• Visited December 2013

Rochester, New York
“Eat and drink here..you will NOT be disappointed!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were staying at a bed and breakfast down the block, and our host highly suggested Barrys. At the very least, he said, go in and have a pint. There was a rugby match on that evening, and every TV in every pub had it on, and they all seemed to be standing room only. So to kill some time, my wife and I walked around Douglas for a little bit and came back an hour later. When I asked about a table for 2, I told the manager that we didn't have a reservation, and mentioned how our host highly recommended them. He knew Mr Edwards, and said he had a table available, and that although there was a party of 7 that had the table for 2030, we could have it if we could be done by then. (It was about 1915 in the evening at that point) Our food and drinks came quick; the waiter suggested an outstanding wine to my wife and informed me that in the south, you don't order Guinness - you order Murphys! (I asked for something local, other than Guinness) Food and drink were great, the party that "had" the table got seated at another one since the place started to clear out after the rugby match was done, and we spent another hour or two in the bar area afterwards. That was also a nice place; crowded but spread out enough that you didn't feel like the place was crowded. I also watched the one of the bartenders pour my pint...definately an art! Most places back home wouldn't take 5 minutes to pour a beer, especially on a busy Saturday night, but we also weren't in America then either! The manager told me when I was paying the dinner bill that the restaraunt, along with a majority of the businesses on that block, got knocked out by flooding last year, and had recently re-opened. If you're in the area, make the effort to get down there; you will not be disappointed!

“Very Good Meal”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had a dinner here on the spur of the moment recently and its really very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food came in good portions and was very well prepared and presented. The restaurant itself is nicely laid out and comfortable. I'd happily dine here again.

Co. Kerry, Ireland
“Wish I had returned sooner!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I haven't been here since it got flooded and I prefer the restaurant now than it was before. It is brighter and is a seperate area to the bar. The staff were very nice and friendly and allowed us enjoy our meal without interupting us asking if we wanted anything else etc. The menu is varied from Curries to steak and is also varied in price and is well priced. I had the chicken tagliatelle and it was delicious as was my wine. I will definitely return sooner rather later.

“A must visit”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Went here for dinner with my husband on a Tuesday night and couldn't believe the wonderful atmosphere. Not only was it lovely and cosy but the food was also delicious. The staff were attentive but not intrusive. There was a lovely little Irish girl, I think her name was Kathy who served us and despite being busy she always had a smile on her face. All the staff we came across were great. I couldn't reccommend this place more.

• Visited October 2013