“Jaysus sure it's massive...”
Review of Barrys of Douglas

Barrys of Douglas
Ranked #87 of 668 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A lovely bar, with nice food and an ok selection of beers (beer obsessive, here). More than adequate as a spot to watch a match and veg out on a Sunday - the atmosphere is electric during rugby games, and they give out baskets of chips & chicken tenders - a win for peckish, tipsy me.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

On March 13, seven of us went to Barrys for dinner after attending a funeral service of a close family member at the nearby crematorium. The enthusiastic reception and attention we received quelled our sadness and we all enjoyed a very good meal. Our Italian waiter's enthusiasm was a little overpowering, but I must say that his attentiveness to our needs was fantastic and the service was extremely prompt. All of the selections were well enjoyed - mine was among the best fish & chips I have ever tasted - the haddock was fresh/fresh. Like previous reviewers, the Toblerone cheesecake was delicious and the house wine (Malbec) was excellent and reasonably priced. All in all a great dining experience. Would definitely return.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Went there for lunch last Monday 18th march with my husband and daughter. It was a bank holiday and quite busy. During this visit the food let it down. The carvery lunch was over priced and I was disappointed to see the chef using a microwave to heat veg instead of in a pot blanching it. Some of the carrots were cooked some were half raw. My husband had the roast beef and was served the end piece of the joint. I had the other roast- turkey and ham but just ate the ham as the turkey was quite dry.Had toblerone cheesecake for dessert, didn't like it, was bit dried out and tasteless.
I must give credit where it is due- the service was very good. The girls were friendly and very attentive to every need of the customer. I would return again based on the service but not for carvery, perhaps for dinner.

3  Thank Prof82Cork
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were in Douglas for the St Patricks weekend, staying at a nearby Hotel, we wanted somewhere different to eat, and the staff in the Hotel recommended Barry's. Even though the restaurant is divided from the main lounge area/ Bar, you have the comfort of a high class Restaurant. It was very busy and there was a great athmosphere, the staff were very friendly and effficient but not overpowering, I had the Creamy Chicken Pesto and my husband had the fillet Steak, which were piping hot and delicious, We shared the Toblerone Cheesecake ( which is to die for!!) .Overall a great experience, and great value for money. Would definately visit again in visiting the area.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was my first time in Barry's since the 2011 flood which caused it to be closed for a significant time and the opportunity was taken to redo the interior. Now the restaurant is separate to the bar and so can accommodate families better. The atmosphere was good and the place busy. We skipped starters (nothing really appealed) but the main courses were good - I had crab linguini with chilli and garlic and this was very tasty. The desserts too were good. What was also good to see was wine available by the bottle (75cl), glass and carafe (50cl) and we were really pleased with the house red that we chose.

So a good place with atmosphere, service ok but the food itself isn't going to make it stand out. Hence the 4* - good at what it does.