“Bland, disappointing food - bad value”
Review of Dinty Collins - CLOSED

Dinty Collins
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed September 10, 2011

When we stayed in Union Hall recently, my partner and I asked where we could eat locally that was good. Food is a very important part of a day or night out to us and we make plans for time off on the basis of where we can eat that's really good.

Dinty's and Casey's in Union Hall were recommended to us as places to eat and we chose Dinty's on the basis that there were people eating there whereas there was nobody at all in Casey's.

Dinty's is a pub that serves food and the food is average at best and overpriced at that. I had chowder which was mediocre and followed it up with a prawn starter which was totally uninspiring and lacking in flavour. My partner had a fish pie main which was tasty, but at €15 was totally overpriced for what it was. We played the "What price would you be happy to pay?" game and decided €9 would have been a much fairer price for it. With a beer and a couple of soft drinks the bill came to €35 and we felt it was money down the drain as we neither enjoyed the food nor the atmosphere which was distinctly lacking. The following night we spent €10 more for chowder, a starter and a main with drinks in Mary Ann's in Castletownshend and felt it was much better value because the food was far more tasty and the atmosphere more warm and enjoyable. The bathrooms in Dinty's leave a lot to be desired in this day and age and are so cramped that when I stepped into the Ladies bathroom the hand-drier turned itself on. This place has nothing to draw me back here, either as a social drinker or as a hungry patron. We will not return.

2  Thank EmmaR73